• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN HIGH GRADE CGC COLLECTION #1-200 FOR SALE !!

218 posts in this topic

I don't understand why someone would sell them in January when everyone knows this is the time that most people are lowest on cash. Surely if i owned a set like this i would hold onto it until the summer of 2007 when the new movie comes out although to be honest if i had that set i wouldn't sell them at all!

This may seem hard to believe but the collector is very much alive. In fact, he decided to sell after we offered him an enourmous amount of money. Imagine that.

So this mysterious collector, says to you "Hey Metro, you know all those ultra high-grade ASM CGC books I paid nose-bleed prices for? Well I've suddenly decided to give them to you at a fraction of market price, so you can make lots of money reselling them!!"

Imagine that! 27_laughing.gif

More likely this was a "panic sale" due to the IRS or other creditors breathing down the guy's back. Otherwise, how does it make sense?

This may seem hard to believe but the collector is very much alive. In fact, he decided to sell after we offered him an enourmous amount of money. Imagine that.

So this mysterious collector, says to you "Hey Metro, you know all those ultra high-grade ASM CGC books I paid nose-bleed prices for? Well I've suddenly decided to give them to you at a fraction of market price, so you can make lots of money reselling them!!"

More likely this was a "panic sale" due to the IRS or other creditors breathing down the guy's back. Otherwise, how does it make sense?

Well, sometimes when goals are acheived, the pursuer looks back and wonders why they sought what they did, and asks what is important, and moves along to another pursuit.

Sometimes life just happens, and more important things come along -- they are "only comic books" fergawdsakes . . . grin.gif

I see where you're coming from on your statement, fact of the matter is, we dont know if this was an OO who had his books slabbed and is going to make a nice profit either way.

You have stated in the past on how many more Raw books you believe to be out there from OOs who keep to themselves, true could be about this collection 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a good point Nikos, but something doesn't smell right about this. It's like Metro is leaving out one very important detail.

I feel like I'm gonna turn on CNN tonight and see:

"IRS Seizes Million Dollar Comic Book Collection for Back Taxes!"

The fact that people are questioning anyones reasons for selling is pretty absurd. Maybe he just got bored of the books and wanted to buy a Ferrari instead. You cant tell me you havent purchased a book then 6 months later decided you didnt like it anymore and sold it. Considering this guy has a complete run he may just have gotten bored or god forbid... wants to dump before the imminent crash which we all know is coming.

I look at it like this: OO collector or "regular collector" that kept his books in pristine condition (whether bought new or later on as a pre-CGC collector) and then decided to pay thousands to get them graded suddenly decides to take a huge hit (regardless of what he paid originally, he would have made at least double what Metropolis paid him or her).

Here are the only logical conclusions:

1) He had to unload the books immediately due to a financial crisis and took a bulk offer. Likelihood: High.

2) He is independently wealthy and did not want the hassle of reselling the books, so he decided to take Metro's bulk offer. Likelihood: Low, as consignment would almost guarantee him much more money.

3) Books were stolen. Likelihood: Very low. Too much of a risk for Metro to purchase ~1 million dollars worth of stolen goods. With this kind of collection, the seller isn't low-profile.

4) Seller does not know the actual market value of these books and accepted what he felt was a good price. Likelihood: Almost zero, considering that they are CGC'd.

1) He had to unload the books immediately due to a financial crisis and took a bulk offer. Likelihood: High.

2) He is independently wealthy and did not want the hassle of reselling the books, so he decided to take Metro's bulk offer. Likelihood: Low, as consignment would almost guarantee him much more money.

3) Books were stolen. Likelihood: Very low. Too much of a risk for Metro to purchase ~1 million dollars worth of stolen goods. With this kind of collection, the seller isn't low-profile.

4) Seller does not know the actual market value of these books and accepted what he felt was a good price. Likelihood: Almost zero, considering that they are CGC'd.

The only problem I see with your assessment is the fact that you're applying logic to a comic book collector. screwy.gif

Maybe he's buying a house? 27_laughing.gif

The only problem I see with your assessment is the fact that you're applying logic to a comic book collector. screwy.gif

27_laughing.gif

Well, that's true, but I find most collectors tend to be pretty intelligent. confused-smiley-013.gif At least smart enough to know that he or she is losing a boat load of cash.

I amazed how people do about faces on their opinions. My take on it is this -

Personally I think he's smart to sell now, and get his money out when the getting's good, but WHY when a collection comes up for sale, why do collectors feel the need to give out all these bizarre reasons? Are they really that scared of how the market will react to a smart collector-investor selling off their assets?

The guy's cashing out, who cares why?

Does this look familiar to you?

No offense guys, but some of your assumptions border on the delusional.

- No one has mentioned that some of these books might have been purchased a long time ago (early or pre-CGC), so the potential to "cash out" is very real when you are going to make a huge profit on books purchased years ago.

- Large deals like this often go down with some form of trade, if anyone had killer inventory to involve in a large deal, it would be Metro. The guy may have just wanted out of Spider-man and into something else (plus a nice sum of cash).

- I'm quite sure Metro has several "institutional" collectors that deal almost exclusively with them. These guys are well-paid professionals who don't have the time or inclination to go bargain hunting for the best consignment % to sell their investment through, especially if they have a well established relationship with Metro. Besides, money talks....

- Metro tends to charge a premium for premium books, which likely means they paid near top market. Why hassle with consigning through Pedigree or the Link (where you lose 8-10% anyway), the logistics of shipping, the time factor if a dealer is going to pay you close to what you would make anyway?

- So give the conspiracy theories a rest, and enjoy what is one incredible run of comics. Congrats to Metro. thumbsup2.gif

Killer set. hail.gif

All of this "cashing out" is quite interesting. We've got this run, plus another run due on Pedigree.........makes you wonder if the market will be able to fully absorb these. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let's not forget the two Heritage auctions going on these weekend...including the remainder of the Parino books.

I agree, it seems there is a ton of great books out there and not nearly enough money to chase them all.

But, I'm just a crazy comic market bear, what do I know? tongue.gif

No offense guys, but some of your assumptions border on the delusional.

- No one has mentioned that some of these books might have been purchased a long time ago (early or pre-CGC), so the potential to "cash out" is very real when you are going to make a huge profit on books purchased years ago.

- Large deals like this often go down with some form of trade, if anyone had killer inventory to involve in a large deal, it would be Metro. The guy may have just wanted out of Spider-man and into something else (plus a nice sum of cash).

- I'm quite sure Metro has several "institutional" collectors that deal almost exclusively with them. These guys are well-paid professionals who don't have the time or inclination to go bargain hunting for the best consignment % to sell their investment through, especially if they have a well established relationship with Metro. Besides, money talks....

- Metro tends to charge a premium for premium books, which likely means they paid near top market. Why hassle with consigning through Pedigree or the Link (where you lose 8-10% anyway), the logistics of shipping, the time factor if a dealer is going to pay you close to what you would make anyway?

- So give the conspiracy theories a rest, and enjoy what is one incredible run of comics. Congrats to Metro. thumbsup2.gif

Calling other people's presumptions delusional while making similar presumptions makes you look no better, to be frank. Multiple people, including myself, made reference to the possibility that it could be an original owner collection, so there goes your first point.

Metro said they bought him out (indicating no trade). Inferring that a trade took place in addition to cash is folly when there is evidence to point to a cash-only transaction.

Your third point really doesn't make sense. Unless Metro is paying market for these books (which they aren't) any collector of average intelligence will know that they could make significantly more money consigning the books or selling them through a venue like Heritage. So, unless the collector needed a bulk sum of cash immediately, there's no reason to think they'd accept what is in effect a loss.

Your fourth point presumes Metro pays near top market, which they don't. I can guarantee that. They hike their CGC books through the roof, but I can't imagine they'd give someone top dollar and then presume that other collectors will pay a hell of a lot over top market as to make this transaction profitable.

I'm not trying to be caustic but your post really just pointed out your own opinions while bashing on the opinions of others.

you know, Im thinking Metro paid a pretty penny for the books. these grades dont turn up every day, and Metro has thousands of books but is a bit light in the primo HG high demand issues.

They didnt pay top retail of course. But for a collector with this special HG horde, one-stop shopping sounds like an okay deal. Sure, he could grind it out and try to get every last retail dollar --- maybe 10-20% more ---- selling it himself. But, depending on what he got for the run in one check, why not? Selling by yourself still means sharing fees and giving discounts for multi-book sales... so when the dust settles, maybe the difference is 5% more?? and you dont get stuck with 30 misc issues after 90 days that you now want to bulk out with few takers...

I dunno. some people want to eke out the max... others are willing to let a dealer scratch out extra profit as long as the number is close enough to be worth the savings in time and effort... all depends on the number.

hey Steve, what did you pay for the run anyway?