• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic-keys, Methuselah, and Koos, Oh My

28 posts in this topic

An interesting concept that to grade a book NM 9.4 is a rip-off of a CGC grade. How long has CGC been around? How long has Bob Overstreet been writing the grading definitions section of his price guide? What wild speculation to think that OVERSTREET ripped off CGC's definitions of grade. I ALWAYS hear that from emailers and it never fails to amuse me.

Some important OVERLOOKED historical information:

Overstreet's first price guide: approx 32 years ago.

CGC's first day in business: approx. 3 years ago.

I had NO idea that Overstreet had been plagiarizing CGC for so long a period of time! A postumous "slap on the wrist" for Bob Overstreet, a man who has forgotten more about this hobby that most of you will know in a lifetime.

Anyone else on Ebay seen auctioning unslabbed books described with letters and numbers? NO? Just me?....I thought so! That's called selective blindness.

FF, does that, "Comic-Keys only buys 7.0 to 9.2 books yet sells 9.0 to 9.8 books" statement pertain ONLY to CGC books? I seem to remember MANY books graded higher than 9.2 I've bought on Ebay and off-Ebay from sellers. Let's see, there was a NON-CGCed Spiderman 26 in 9.6/9.8 from Notch_top that was GORGEOUS. I won a $4000+ book for $1400 only last month on Ebay because of the "non-CGC, let's not bid high on this, fear factor" mentality. I can go on and on about books graded in excess of 9.4 that I purchased on and off Ebay. There are MANY!!!!! Try something else. THIS argument is assinine, and EASILY refutable by me with easy access evidence. You want it?

I got a refund minus my grading fee..but what if i never graded it?

Did you return it to him slabbed? I would have broken out the book from the slab before returning it. Why return something to anyone in an improved condition than when it came to you, and give them the liquidity of selling a graded comic vs. ungraded. However, in the case of resto books, the value comparison of resto vs raw is an inverse relationship.

Sure, go ahead, post it...I'm interested in all evidence. From the first time a dealer told me the story about you, I was shocked. After a few days, though, I sorted out the opinions from the hearsay from the facts and began following the story, not caring much which way it led. That's why I continued to talk with you via e-mail for almost six months after that time, because I didn't believe it all yet.

I said you buy "only" 8.0 to 9.2 comics. Let me be more specific--over 90% of your visible E-Bay purchases are in that range.

I didn't know who to reply to so I just replied to myself.

First off, I have no ties to Comic-keys, I have never met him, I have never bought from him, I never even heard of him till a couple months ago on this very forum. I am not a super duper premium, high dollar collector. I have a few books that I collect for the fun of it. This isn't really even about the books, it is about watching someone get persecuted based on speculation.

Everyone here is entitled to buy from him or not buy from him, that is their personal choice. To outright slander the guy however, is wrong. I STILL have not heard first hand knowledge of any wrongdoing on his part. One person said that they bought a book from him and it came back restored. That could happen to any one of you. He went on to say that he recieved the promised refund, I do not see what more could have been done. Anyone who deals in silver or golden age books is rolling the dice, unless you were personally the only owner of the book ... Ever. Lets review

1. We have heard from a total of 1 person who has first hand knowledge that a single book has come back restored. That person recieved a full refund.

2. We have heard that he has bought low grades and sold as high grades. This was only speculation, a guess at best.

3. We have heard that he overgrades what he sells. Many (if not all) of you have posted right here, that grading varies from person to person

So who, who, who has been ripped off by the guy?

Phil

Kevin, all kidding aside, don't you SLEEP? I though I was the only 'Day walking Undead' on here. At least I have a reason to be sleeping 2 hours per day being on 24-hour call most of the time I'm working, but Jeez', get some sleep guy!!!