• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Request

20 posts in this topic

Or why not (gasp) use actual trivia? Here's the kind of stuff I'd like to see:

What issue did Wolverine mention his unbreakable skeleton?

Of what type was the very first arrow that Haweye fired at Iron Man in his first appearance?

What old Iron Man villain was also known as Blizzard?

What is Uncle Sam's super power?

How many Batman/Detective covers did Neal Adams do?

What villain has appeared on the most Uncanny X-Men covers?

Who cares if it's easy or hard, guesswork or detective work, as long as it's fun and not centered in the 1930-40's.

Last week's question WAS quite obscure... but so what? It's not meant to be easy... frown.gif

BUT this is the umpteenth time you've posted a criticism about the comics-quest! grin.gif Perhaps you should see if Gemma will let you submit the week's trivia question the night before she puts it up, so that you can finally get one! laugh.gif

Kev

Last week's question WAS quite obscure... but so what? It's not meant to be easy...

Yeah, I'd just love to see an episode of Jeopardy where Alex stumps the panel on 98% of questions (all dealing with navel-gazing minutiae from the 1930's-40's) and the winner takes home a dollar in winnings. I guess we both have far different ideas on what constitutes fun and enjoyable trivia.

CGC can keep posting crappy Capone-era questions if they want, but I'd just like to see some balance on the time period used.

All depends on your point of view CI.

If I don't know the answer, and if I can't answer the question with a little research (online or at home) then I don't feel the need to complain about it, I just don't answer. Sure it's fun if I think I know the answer, but no big loss if I don't, there's always the next week. tongue.gif

Kev

All depends on your point of view CI.

Maybe, but I know there are many levels of comic fans on here, and the majority make up Silver, Bronze and Modern collectors. I do not feel the majority of questions relating to 1930's-40's comics is representative of the forum membership.

Stop trying to simplify it into a bout of "sour grapes" as you know full well what I'm talking about.

Hard, simple or otherwise, I would like to see a greater cross-section of questions, that would be pertinent to someone who didn't set sail the maiden voyage of the Titanic.

CI,

I gotta ask, and please don't take this the wrong way, because I think you're funny, and I enjoy reading your posts, but does anything make you happy? Do you LIKE anything? Is there anything that DOESN'T annoy you? smile.gif

Then you either a close-minded SOB or old enough to have taken a trip on the Titanic. I like living in the year 2002 and would appreciate a few questions relating to comics that aren't older than my grandfather.

You just go ahead and crank that Big Band music, and boogie til the cows come home.

Another brilliant deflection by CI...

Calling me names doesn't change the fact that you are whining AGAIN about Comics-Quest.

It's their contest, not yours. As far as I'm concerned they can ask whatever they want. I never said I liked the golden age questions... but I accept that the GA is part of the hobby in which my own knowledge is weak instead of crying about it.

Kev

Hey, you know as well as I do that I will NEVER win any of the contests due to my views on CGC speculation. I've got quite a few right, but I don't fool myself into believing I'll ever take anything home.

I just want to have fun, and this consistent Atom/Golden Age is far from it. I'm not alone, as no one won the last contest, there was only a single answer correct for last week's (or the one before?) and there are many PM joke-fests each time another bizarro "older than my grandpa" CGC trivia question appears.

I'm just the only one who'll come out and say it.

If you get the question right and are the sixth or whatever person, they can't do anything but give it to you.

The hobby does include the Atom/Golden age and they are completely within reason to ask those questions. The Modern collector would feel the same way about an over-emphasis on the Silver Age or the Bronze.

Week 16 - Gold

Week 15 - Gold

Week 14 - Gold

Week 13 - CGC

Week 12 - Silver

Week 11 - Silver

Week 10 - Modern

Week 9 - Gold

Week 8 - Bronze

Week 7 - Bronze

Week 6 - Bronze

Week 5 - Silver

Week 4 - Modern

Week 3 - Silver

Week 2 - Bronze

Week 1 - Gold

5/16 Golden Age 31%

4/16 Silver Age 25%

4/16 Bronze Age 25%

2/16 Modern Age 13%

1/16 CGC Related 6%

So yeah, three golden age questions in a row IS a bit much, and I would think that next week's will be more modern... but by no means have Golden Age questions dominated the Comics-Quest overall. The gold collectors were probably put off by all of the Bronze Age questions we had back in July.

Maybe the Golden age graders are coming up with better questions at the weekly meeting.

Kev

Thanks for the breakdown, and I guess it's just been so long since a Bronze question (and even then, a couple did not relate to comics specifically) that I must have forgotten those horrid "hidden messages" ones from summer.

Like you said, it's CGC's contest and they have the right to make it is lame as they wish. Last week's really took the cake, and even though there have been a few that didn't get a single answer, I emailed that question to some serious collectors and they had no clue to its exact title.

To me, that's right up there with my jokes of "How many hairs are there on Steve Ditko's right pinkie finger?", but at least then you might guess a number and get lucky. grin.gif

I don't envy them the task of coming up with a challenging question each week, as I'm sure it's tough... and let's face it... probably not a high priority for the graders.

It will always be a struggle for them to find the line between easy and obscure.

Kev