• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone excited about Jim Lee Batman???

22 posts in this topic

I'm curious if anyone is excited about Jim Lee's stint on Batman, beginning this month. I have to admit that I'm really looking forward to it. I've always thought Mr. Lee does very striking work and and there is no denying that he is a superb cover artist. I don't expect the books to be especially good reading, but I'll sure enjoy looking at all them purty pictures.

I love it when some of the best artists in the medium do work on some of the best characters. It's too bad that the best artists usually go off and do their own creations. For instance Jim Lee's work on Wildcats was good, but did anybody really care? I'm sure he made more $ on it and fulfilled his creative vision, but there's nothing like seeing legendary characters being rendered by artists at the top of their game!

Really looking forward to this book...I collect Batman on and off and this looks like a

great reason to get back on the title. The previews in Wizard look fantastic and I

have high hopes for the stories as well as the art given the Jeph Loeb connection.

I was surprised to learn that Batman only sells 50,000 copies a month these days...

hopefully the new creative team will get that number back up.

Gene

Not really. I'm a old horse from way back that likes the simpler styles and less complicated stories. I've seen Lee's work and its mighty fine, but I'm not one to get excited over it. I've been collecting Batman comics a long long time. I've seen a lot of different artists draw the caped crusader. Some I liked, some I didn't. Some I didn't like at first and I grew to like as the issues went on. So who knows, maybe Lee's Batman will be one that I'll like. Like his art or not, I'll still buy the Batman's. I've never missed an issue yet.

Lee's booked for 12 issues, starting at 608. There's talk of maybe extending that.

I'll be picking it up. 10 years ago, Lee's art and structure was head and shoulders above most of the artists at the time. I'm curious to see if that has held up over time, and with stylistic changes.

The previews look great. I haven't picked up a regular Bat book in a while (except DK2 which was disappointing) so I'm looking forward to this! I hope they gouge the reader by introducing 'special covers' or gimmicks for this issue.

.........i think that jim lee is one of the best artists of the modern era, and although i haven't seen any of his work since the x-men series of the early 90's, i might check this one out.................

........not a big batman fan though, but the lee take on the character should be something to see.........

Well I have to say... I am fairly impressed with the issue.

Of course much of the world has read the first few pages which were previewed in Wizard. The issue ships next week, so retailers got their advance copies yesterday.

I admit I am interested more for the Jeph Loeb story than the Jim Lee art, and my initial complaint from the cover of Previews still bugs me somewhat. It's petty, I know, but I am quite certain that the soles of Batman's shoes so prominently displayed on the cover are nothing like the Dark Knight would actually wear. No cool computer-designed tread pattern, no special materials... the shoes on the cover are inch-think rubber that looks like carved cheese. Batman would NEVER wear shoes like that....

Fanboy geekness aside, the issue is great. Batman is written as the butt-kicking mastermind he should be (a side rarely shown outside the pages of JLA, where he is far cooler than he ever is in his own books). Lee's art fits the story extremely well, with jagged panel layouts where appropriate and standard layouts the rest of the time. Action sequences have that 'everything going on at once' feel that Lee does well, and dialogue scenes flow at a more pedestrian pace. The backgrounds are frequently boring, unless the camera eye is above the players, but Lee can still direct the eye where he wants it to go.

I know a lot of fans are picking up the run just to see Lee's Catwoman and Poison Ivy... I doubt you'll be disappointed.

As far as value in a slab? I'm sure Darth will get $70 for his 9.8's the first month or so, but given that this was the top ordered book for the month, at almost three times the normal circulation, there will be plenty to go around...

given that this was the top ordered book for the month, at almost three times

the normal circulation, there will be plenty to go around...

Anybody think Batman #608 will soar in value like Marvel's recent creative team

revamps (ASM 30, Hulk 34, etc.)? I have high confidence that Messrs. Loeb &

Lee will crank out books that will rival Marvel's revamps of ASM, Hulk, DD, New X-Men,

etc. in quality.

However, will the fact that it's (a) a DC title, (b) a #608-numbered issue instead

of a fairly low-numbered volume 2, and © going to have a large print run and DC's lack

of a reprint/over-printing policy going to keep the price low? Thoughts, anyone?

Gene

.....i think you can take your cue from such dc events as death of superman, batman breaks back, kevin smith's GA....................

.....how much are these books worth now.............

Anybody think Batman #608 will soar in value like Marvel's recent creative team

revamps (ASM 30, Hulk 34, etc.)?

Yes. The book will sit between $10 and $20 within 1-2 mo of release.(IMHO) Longer term, it'll soften unless the Lee/Loeb run is so distinguished that it is seen as a classic.

, will the fact that it's (a) a DC title, (b) a #608-numbered issue instead

of a fairly low-numbered volume 2, and © going to have a large print run and DC's lack

of a reprint/over-printing policy going to keep the price low? Thoughts, anyone?

Jim Lee will be the selling factor that will override the DC and #608 factors. But longer term, the supply will be the big factor.

Damn! And here I ordered only one copy! Looks like another investing train left the

station without me!

I think I'm going to show up at my local shop early and walk away with an armful,

cackle, cackle!

Greed is good...Gene

608 will be reprinted...I've learned my lesson on DC books and tend to stay far far away. I may slabbed a limited number that can sell off the bat and then I know the 2nd print will force prices down so , I'll pass at that point... tongue.gif

I'm flatterred that you think the first 9.8s will come from me wink.gif