• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doomsday

27 posts in this topic

I am a big Kirby fan. Not my vintage though. I like my Kirby early, but this is an stunning page, but for 20K + there are some great Kirby pieces out there that have more bang for buck. I agree with Paull, Kirby/Sinnott was the ultimate pencil/ink combination for Kirby followed closely by Stone. Sinnott is incredible when it comes to inking metal textures.Doom & the Surfer were dream characters for him to work on. I hope the seller leaves the page up this time. It will be interesting to watch the last second of this auction.

Clem...

BTW - have you seen any of the pages from TOS #94? The Cap pages are Kirby/Sinnott and they're awesome! I know RhinoComics has one...but have you seen any of the others? Classic, man, classic...

Howdy all, I've been out of town and sans Internet since the 4th and am catching up on the Forum goings on.

Just to clarify -- the page I have is from TOS 84 (Super Adaptoid) not 94. But I have not seen the pages from TOS 94. Would like to!

Wow, that FF 59 page is SWEEEET. An Iconic page, for sure. But 20k? Yowch.

If it didn't sell for $18.5k, I wonder why they upped it to 20k? Seems like an odd strategy. Unless their true motive is to fish for offers of cash/trade and they wanted to increase their perceived value of the piece in anticipation of that.

If it didn't sell for $18.5k, I wonder why they upped it to 20k? Seems like an odd strategy. Unless their true motive is to fish for offers of cash/trade and they wanted to increase their perceived value of the piece in anticipation of that.

Could be. I'm a newbie in the art world, but I've been told by several different people that this is fairly common practice in OA circles. If it doesn't sell once, raise the price, inflate the trade values, etc... I have also been told that many OA dealers don't hesitate to put crazy asking prices on some material because they are usually in a position where they don't "have" to sell it. As a result, they happily sit on the same pages or covers for years. It makes sense in a way, because it's not like most comics where another copy is bound to come along eventually. It's hard to replace one's inventory with an equally prestigious piece.

Could be. I'm a newbie in the art world, but I've been told by several different people that this is fairly common practice in OA circles. If it doesn't sell once, raise the price, inflate the trade values, etc... I have also been told that many OA dealers don't hesitate to put crazy asking prices on some material because they are usually in a position where they don't "have" to sell it. As a result, they happily sit on the same pages or covers for years. It makes sense in a way, because it's not like most comics where another copy is bound to come along eventually. It's hard to replace one's inventory with an equally prestigious piece.

Oh yeah, for sure. If I was to try fishing one of my pieces out there, I'd do the same thing. The last thing you ever want to do is sell a killer piece of art and then feel like you didn't get enough for it.

I have agonized over every sale/trade I've ever done. It's so tough with art because it's not like a comic where if you sell your 9.4 ASM 54 you can buy another one in 6 months. If you sell a truly killer page of art, you may not EVER see it come up for sale again.

If the seller is putting a price out there and testing the waters just to see what kind of offers or bids he gets, knowing the asking price is high -- what if somebody with money to spare decides they want it and pulls the trigger? I mean, that's a phenomenal page. Even if I wanted to fish it for offers, I'd have a tough time actually selling it even at the 20k price.... 27_laughing.gif

True. Short of a cover or double page splash, that page is beyond amazing for Kirby/Sinnott fans. I'm still learning the market as an observer (I'm not a buyer in this echelon), and in this case the 20k opening bid seems just about right as the threshold to let it go at.