• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA, Commissions, Sketch Books, and Gallaries

11 posts in this topic

I have a couple of questions (again), but there's a theme here....

Awhile back we had a thread about commissions vs. printed material. The overwhelming consensus was that OA from something that was printed was a much better investment and more drool-worthy to the population at large.

1) Now, speaking solely about commissions, how does an artist's sketch book (one that contains a reprint of that commission) effect the pieces perceived value?

2) To take that one step further, what about online art galleries? How do they effect perceived value of commissions or other OA?

On the one hand, everyone has a chance to see your art, which could raise interest and thus raise the perceived value. On the other hand, everyone gets to see your art whenever they want just by perusing your gallery, so there's no need to consider it's value.

[Note: I'm not suggesting that perceived value is important to art collecting. Buy what brings you happiness regardless of what you might get in return later.]

[Note: I'm not suggesting that perceived value is important to art collecting. Buy what brings you happiness regardless of what you might get in return later.]

Are you sure? Most of your questions lately seem to revolve around money. Methinks you have been reading too many of KK's posts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe you should try to forget about value for a while and try to have some fun with the hobby! Lighten up!! grin.gif

Are you sure? Most of your questions lately seem to revolve around money. Methinks you have been reading too many of KK's posts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I'm sure. But when I'm spending $350, you better believe I'm thinking about value to some degree. I buy what I like. What brings me some sort of joy. But at the same time, my interests change from time to time. And if I'm spending that much cash (which to me, is quite a sum) then I want to make sure it's something that has the potential of bringing similar returns if I sell it years down the road.

Yeah, I'm sure. But when I'm spending $350, you better believe I'm thinking about value to some degree. I buy what I like. What brings me some sort of joy. But at the same time, my interests change from time to time. And if I'm spending that much cash (which to me, is quite a sum) then I want to make sure it's something that has the potential of bringing similar returns if I sell it years down the road.

All I am saying is that if you are going through this much agony every time you buy a piece of art, then maybe you are spending too high a percentage of your disposable income on something that is supposed to be fun.

From my experiences with commissions or really any art in general there is a definite difference between a reprint of any kind and an original as far as collectors interest is concerned. If you look at published pieces, which I realize are not in the scope of your questions, every comic book featuring that piece should allow potential buyers of the original the opportunity to enjoy the piece at will without paying for the original. Yet the original in my opinion is not "devalued" by this mass exposure. More to the root of your questions, I believe that even a beautiful reprint of an original commission is a completely different animal from the real thing. As far as online galleries are concerned the words "Not For Sale" under a piece will keep your art from overexposure resulting in loss of interest. If I am not mistaken the negative affects of displaying art to the public are when it sits for a very long time with a price tag on it and is never purchased. There are people with galleries called wanted that are filled with art from the galleries of the actual owners. This to me demonstrates the power of "I want what I can't have even if I see it in reprints and galleries all day long". In conclusion, I believe that your art won't suffer from appearing in artist sketch books or on sites like CAF.

1) Buy art that you like.

2) Buy what you can afford, without breaking your budget.

3) Share your art with fellow collectors (CAF site is a great place for that).

4) Sharing/showing your art does NOT devalue the art in any way...that is just a stupid rumor that a few subscribe to!

I agree, when buying art, you buy what you like. If you can enjoy it everyday, then its worth it. Images on the internet, or prints or sketchbooks are not going to devalue the art. A picasso painting has many prints made, do you think it devalues the original. NO!.. don't over analyze things, just buy what you like and you'll never go wrong, and fer crying out loud, enjoy the hobby! wink.gif