• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know about this dealer?

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just looking for some helpful advice.

There is a dealer on ebay that has some really nice books for sale and has had some incredible books in the past. His ebay ID is gio72

Right now he has a Fantastic Four #1 in VF/NM and a Spidey #2 in NM for sale.

I have been very gun-shy to bid though because of two reasons.

1. The private bidder status and the private feedback rating

2. None of the books are professionally graded.

I have been burned so many times on ebay that it has created a very strong apprehension to bid on anything that looks to good to be true. So rather than write this off, I am hopeful that there are a few people that have some insight here.

I mean no disrespect to the seller at all but just need a little assurance.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

Just looking for some helpful advice.

There is a dealer on ebay that has some really nice books for sale and has had some incredible books in the past. His ebay ID is gio72

Right now he has a Fantastic Four #1 in VF/NM and a Spidey #2 in NM for sale.

I have been very gun-shy to bid though because of two reasons.

1. The private bidder status and the private feedback rating

2. None of the books are professionally graded.

I have been burned so many times on ebay that it has created a very strong apprehension to bid on anything that looks to good to be true. So rather than write this off, I am hopeful that there are a few people that have some insight here.

I mean no disrespect to the seller at all but just need a little assurance.

Thanks,

Mark

this guy has been sued successfully by Mark Zaid. if you sent him an email, i'm sure he could give you all the info you want.

big time scam artist

Mark,

Stay far away from this guy. Bad news. I am sure someone will provide you with the link. You could just do a search for gio72 and I am sure you will find it.

Ouch! I will take your comments to heart Bob

Thanks for the advice

this guy has been sued successfully by Mark Zaid. if you sent him an email, i'm sure he could give you all the info you want.

big time scam artist

Thanks Sal

That's two of you who have given the same typoe of advice.

Much appreciated

mark

This thread is a great example of why these boards are fabulous for new collectors and those returning to the hobby (like me). E-Bay appears to be full of scams and rampant with dishonesty. Separating the good from the bad is a difficult task. I appreciate learning about these issues from wiser folks and getting the advice from people who care about other collectors and the hobby.

I thank each of you who was involved in creating this thread.

Russ

Mark, if you have any questions about an ebay seller, click the "search" button at the top of the page and run a search of the name. Odds are if it's a dirtbag seller, his name's been discussed on these boards.

Mark, if you have any questions about an ebay seller, click the "search" button at the top of the page and run a search of the name. Odds are if it's a dirtbag seller, his name's been discussed on these boards.

Yikes!!! The power of the computer! smile.gif

Thanks Tim

I believe Mark Zaid did some research/litigation (or at least threaten too) against this clown, drop him a PM.

Thanks - I will do that.

Mark Zaid is on vacation and won't be back for a couple of weeks.

This gio72 guy is bad news. I believe that he is actually two people, Johnny Hertrich and Kim Reganato. This seller is a known ebay scammer who sells restored, high-grade Marvel keys as unrestored. Gio72 has been selling a few high grade "unrestored" copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 for the last year or so. Hammer (Comic-Keys) confirmed that one of the AF#15s that gio72 was selling as an unrestored NM+ copy was a restored (trimmed and color touched) Apparent 9.2 NM- copy that Comic-Keys sold to Johnny Hertrich a few months prior.

The bottom line is that you should stay away from gio72.

Just to add my 2 cents here. I have no clue on the history of this EBAY seller except what I have read on the boards.

Howver, I have purchsed three comics from Gio72 (before reading all the negative posts), BUT the total price of my purchase was ONLY $9. I was hesitant to bid since he had private feedback, but he had a lot of non-graded ASM's for sale that day and so I figured, what the heck, it's so little $$$.

I also liked the fact that he was from Queens, NY (same as me) and he advertised that the books could be picked up to save on shipping. This was about 2 weeks before x-mas. I won three books after bidding on about 10 and promptly paid via paypal. I excluded shipping charges since I was picking up the books. After paying I emailed him requesting the address of where I could pick up the comics. In a few days he responded to my email by giving me a number to call to set up a time and he would give me the address then as well. I called the number several times over next few days and always got a message to which, I always left a message.

Needless to say I was thinking i'm such a for getting into this mess with a private feedback seller (its not the $9, but the principle of it).

I emailed him a couple of times more and he finally responded saying he was sorry, he had been running around finishing his x-mas stuff. In his email he said that it's probably better that he mail out the books since he was too busy to meet. He said he would overnight the books to me at his expense.

Believe it or not, I was shocked that an overnight parcel arrived with all three comics as described. The total purcahse was about $9, but he spent $14 on shipping. I give the guy credit for completing the sale at an added cost to him.

Would I buy from him again? Probably not, especially after reading all the negative posts and especially not a high $$$ book. Again, I dont know the person, never spoke to them, but I did get my books about 2 1/2 weeks later.

Take it for what ever it's worth.

Not surprised at all by your good experience (except for the fact that the guy picked up the shipping). The fact that a dealer may be "shady" by selling restored books and lying about it certainly doesn't mean that all his books are tainted. I'd bet that the actual number of times that a guy like Gio or Ewart screws someone over is rather small by percentages. Whether or not one wants to deal with such a seller, though, is a different issue entirely...

On 2/9/2006 at 3:18 PM, RaccoonRaccoon said:

Just to add my 2 cents here. I have no clue on the history of this EBAY seller except what I have read on the boards.

Howver, I have purchsed three comics from Gio72 (before reading all the negative posts), BUT the total price of my purchase was ONLY $9. I was hesitant to bid since he had private feedback, but he had a lot of non-graded ASM's for sale that day and so I figured, what the heck, it's so little $$$.

I also liked the fact that he was from Queens, NY (same as me) and he advertised that the books could be picked up to save on shipping. This was about 2 weeks before x-mas. I won three books after bidding on about 10 and promptly paid via paypal. I excluded shipping charges since I was picking up the books. After paying I emailed him requesting the address of where I could pick up the comics. In a few days he responded to my email by giving me a number to call to set up a time and he would give me the address then as well. I called the number several times over next few days and always got a message to which, I always left a message.

Needless to say I was thinking i'm such a for getting into this mess with a private feedback seller (its not the $9, but the principle of it).

I emailed him a couple of times more and he finally responded saying he was sorry, he had been running around finishing his x-mas stuff. In his email he said that it's probably better that he mail out the books since he was too busy to meet. He said he would overnight the books to me at his expense.

Believe it or not, I was shocked that an overnight parcel arrived with all three comics as described. The total purcahse was about $9, but he spent $14 on shipping. I give the guy credit for completing the sale at an added cost to him.

Would I buy from him again? Probably not, especially after reading all the negative posts and especially not a high $$$ book. Again, I dont know the person, never spoke to them, but I did get my books about 2 1/2 weeks later.

Take it for what ever it's worth.

Seller: Here's a gumball described as should be. See I'm honest (Silently Sells Restored Book on Ebay-as unrestored)