• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sid's Luncheonette - the PRICES are here............

45 posts in this topic

I will be in the show before anyone can get in so I will be hounding Harry for his books way before you guys get in. Heeheeheeheehee poke2.gif

Harry are you going to come in on Thursday nite as well for set up?

grin.gif we won't be putting up the books until sometimre in the afternoon. show opens at 4:00pm and we open up for sale at 5:00PM..........the first hour could be interesting and then things should be pretty normal. looking forward to Geppi's Exposition.............. cloud9.gif

I can get in the same you can Ron. Have a dealer's pass. But, not to worry, playing field is level... since they aren't being sold til 5 PM.

Sharks are circling... but that's ok. I'm not worried. Whatever, it's just comics. There's a lot of books I'd like, but whatever, if someone beats me out on the one book I want, so be it. I should be able to get everyone else's... Hopefully.

I will be in the show before anyone can get in so I will be hounding Harry for his books way before you guys get in. Heeheeheeheehee poke2.gif

I can get in the same you can Ron. Have a dealer's pass. But, not to worry, playing field is level... since they aren't being sold til 5 PM.

Sharks are circling... but that's ok. I'm not worried. Whatever, it's just comics. There's a lot of books I'd like, but whatever, if someone beats me out on the one book I want, so be it. I should be able to get everyone else's... Hopefully.

yup - we still plan on opening up for business at 5:00PM (one hour after the show opens).

still in a bit of a quandary over exactly how to process orders when the booth opens and there is more than one person wanting a specific book. in the absence of "velvet ropes" defining who's first in line, we've kicked around a few ideas.

one was a pure "luck-of-the-draw" where all 3 folks wanting the book (at the listed price) get their names tossed into a hat and we pull out a winner. another is to have all three subsequently submit a single "best-offer" and the winner gets the book at their offer. there are pros and cons to each approach.

any other thoughts?????? confused.gif

I think from a business standpoint, "luck of the draw" sucks. It should go to the highest bidder but it shouldn't be blind(that way, no one is "overpaying"). Just do a private auction with the interested parties off to the side and ask who will bid x? Okay, who will bid x+$10? And let the highest bidder get it...otherwise you get into a situation where someone loses the luck of the draw but would have paid more - which takes money out of your pocket - and clearly you're selling these for the purpose of putting money in your pocket - so why pretend to have any pretenses otherwise.

I think from a business standpoint, "luck of the draw" sucks. It should go to the highest bidder but it shouldn't be blind(that way, no one is "overpaying"). Just do a private auction with the interested parties off to the side and ask who will bid x? Okay, who will bid x+$10? And let the highest bidder get it...otherwise you get into a situation where someone loses the luck of the draw but would have paid more - which takes money out of your pocket - and clearly you're selling these for the purpose of putting money in your pocket - so why pretend to have any pretenses otherwise.

interesting - thanks............... thumbsup2.gif

I disagree. The prices are posted. Its unfair to the buyers to have to compete for th ebook in an auction setup. Drawing lots has its faults, but paying more than one expects to isnt one of them. I realize you would earn more that way, but, somehow I think it will be a small pile that has more than one claiming it.

How about this: give all the early arrivers a three hour window to place a want list. Then you work out all the orders and see what overlaps you need to deal with. This way you see how severe the problem is, or isnt. AND - - for your benefit, you can assemble compromise offers, including books that NOONE asked for (and therefore, wouldnt have sold) as sweeteners (maybe discounted a bit) to walk away from their first choices!

sound good?

Uh, well, if it goes by largest order, I have a feeling I'm going to win.

If it goes by bid, I'm pretty sure I can still win almost every book people have requested of me.

Hence, I will be there at 5 PM, if somebody asks for a book that is on my list (lurker or otherwise) know that I will have to turn up the heat on you if it's a bid and announce my intent to buy.

Otherwise, Harry, I'll be buying a number of books which ought to make you one happy camper.

I disagree. The prices are posted. Its unfair to the buyers to have to compete for th ebook in an auction setup. Drawing lots has its faults, but paying more than one expects to isnt one of them. I realize you would earn more that way, but, somehow I think it will be a small pile that has more than one claiming it.

How about this: give all the early arrivers a three hour window to place a want list. Then you work out all the orders and see what overlaps you need to deal with. This way you see how severe the problem is, or isnt. AND - - for your benefit, you can assemble compromise offers, including books that NOONE asked for (and therefore, wouldnt have sold) as sweeteners (maybe discounted a bit) to walk away from their first choices!

sound good?

thanks for your thoughts, Aman....................... thumbsup2.gif

Sadly the problem for me is that I cannot accept "second choices" for anyone but me and perhaps one other bidder.

I know where I think the competition is going to come from, and I think the silent bid idea is still basically the best.

Sadly the problem for me is that I cannot accept "second choices" for anyone but me and perhaps one other bidder.

I know where I think the competition is going to come from, and I think the silent bid idea is still basically the best.

Well, it's almost upon us!! the con has shaped up quite well with a pretty amazing assortment of artists and special guests. and then there's Geppi's "museum" attraction..........

after much thought and soul-searching, we've decided that for the show openings only, we will not sell any books for the first hour in order for folks to have time to make their way to booth #561 TVComics and have a shot at a book or two, if so inclined.

when the booth opens at 5:00PM on friday we will have given folks the opportunity to express their interest in each of the 80 Marvels. for those books where only one person is interested, it goes for the asking price immediately. However, I suspect that there may be 5-6 books that will have more than one person interested in it. if so, we will hold a brief single best offer drawing. each person has the opportunity to make a single offer on a piece of paper. we'll quickly scan the offers and the book goes for the best offer made..........

we weighed numerous suggestions but couldn't come up with anything better given the promises that we made to have every book available for the start of the show. we got mentioned in Scoop and hope to get a mention in the official program......part of the reasons to keep the group intact.

quite frankly, i hope every book goes to a good home for the initial price and no one leaves disappointed............only five days to go 893applaud-thumb.gif

Harrry, how will you be handling the post-convention sales?

Will you let us (the Forum) know early next week what sold and what remains?

Also, do you have a general time-line in mind for when you will start softening on your asking prices?

I really love a couple of your books, but after some consideration, and taking into account your somewhat aggressive pricing, I think I'd rather sort through the left-overs for books I may want and hopefully score them a little cheaper. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Harrry, how will you be handling the post-convention sales?

Will you let us (the Forum) know early next week what sold and what remains?

Also, do you have a general time-line in mind for when you will start softening on your asking prices?

I really love a couple of your books, but after some consideration, and taking into account your somewhat aggressive pricing, I think I'd rather sort through the left-overs for books I may want and hopefully score them a little cheaper. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

post convention sales are not even on the radar at this point in time. i'm sure there will be a bucket full of books left over, but i have no immediate plans for them.

having said that, i may list the remaining books at the listed prices and see if there is any lingering interest from folks who were unable to attend and didn't want to deal with the hassles of participating in the initial go round.

but i'm heading off to Mexico's Riviera Maya next tuesday, so nothing will likely be consumated until the following week. Good Luck to those who will be participating this weekend................ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

last comments as i'm about to head over to the Javits in NYC.

according to Byron (TVComics) neal adams stopped over to talk to him yesterday and commented on how there was such a big buzz about the Con. seems they sold another 1000 advance tickets sales yesterday and continue to add folks to the roster.

Byron also mentioned that Neal had very positive comments for the new TVComics logo which was massaged recently by our own RedHook............

we'll be at booth 561. the opening bell (5:00pm - one hour after the doors open)could be interesting for us. hope everyone that wants something makes out OK.

I squeezed in another 25 HG SA DC's in case that elusive collector shows up... grin.gif

see some of you tomorrow night at the Korea Palace............. thumbsup2.gif

Byron also mentioned that Neal had very positive comments for the new TVComics logo which was massaged recently by our own RedHook............

thumbsup2.gif

Nice! My ego is now expanding, by adding additional material spontaneously from the interior! acclaim.gif

Good luck this weekend, guys!

Red