• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What am I doing wrong here???

73 posts in this topic

DAREDEVIL #19 

FN 6.0  OFF-WHITE TO WHITE PAGES

"ALONE . . . AGAINST THE UNDERWORLD!" 

STAN LEE STORY / JOHNNY ROMITA COVER & ART

MARVEL COMICS GROUP - AUGUST 1966 

NO RESTORATION / SATISFACTION GUARANTEED

You are bidding on a strictly graded Fine 6.0 copy of Daredevil #19, from August 1966, with supple off-white to white pages.  This issue features one of the few covers in the title by John Romita, interior art by Mr. Romita, and another great story by Stan Lee.  Guest appearances include the Gladiator and the Masked Marauder.  Check out the large scans below - you will be pleased to add this book to your Daredevil collection.

DD19ss.jpg

This is a solid mid-grade copy of this issue.  It is one of the few issues that Johnny Romita did before Gene Colan took the helm.  The book is flat, tight, and nicely cut with its staples set just a bit to the front cover.  It has excellent cover gloss, brilliant colors, good to very good corners, and solid structure front to back.  Both the cover and centerfold are firmly attached with clean staples.  It is complete and intact with no pieces missing, no tears, no soiling and no writing. The back cover is bone white.

DD19bss.jpg

The book's defects are described as follows:  1) there is a slight reader's crease parallel to the spine; 2) there is a very light non-color breaking 1/2" crease to the lower left corner of the back cover; 3) there is some minor creasing along the top edge of the front cover at the upper right corner due to cover overhang; and 4) there is light overall wear to the spine, edges and corners consistent with its FN 6.0 grade.  I guarantee that you will grade this book higher than I have here.

I am a collector and believe in selling my books to other collectors.  I've had this book in my personal collection since 1967.  Take a minute and check out the positive comments I have received from other satisfied buyers and collectors. The book is stored in an archival quality 2-mil thick Mylar sleeve with a 100% virgin, acid-free, 24-mil thick backboard produced with a 3% buffer throughout to maintain a ph of 8.0+.  As a guideline, the 2005 Overstreet Guide values this book at $24 in FN 6.0, and bidding starts at less than half that.

To see all of my other Bronze and Silver Age auctions, please click here.

happy collecting,

divadrabnud

One thing wrong is posting that huge ebay auction in this post. 27_laughing.gif

Nice book though.

I'm not posting it here to sell it dweeb 27_laughing.gif, I'm asking for opinions on the listing format. This book was listed twice, and didn't sell (which is my tolerance limit) grin.gif

Nice book though.

I'm not posting it here to sell it dweeb 27_laughing.gif, I'm asking for opinions on the listing format. This book was listed twice, and didn't sell (which is my tolerance limit) grin.gif

Your auction listings are among the nicest I've seen. That can't be the problem.

divad:

I have always found your auctions very nice - great scans, well laid out and nice descriptions - that said, I have never bid - oh well......

I know why you guys don't bid gossip.gif same reason I don't . . . wink.gif

Nice book though.

Your auction listings are among the nicest I've seen. That can't be the problem.

Thanks, what do I have to do to sell this freakin' book??? Give it away? I mean, it's a respectable copy . . . . tonofbricks.gif

Thank you for the big smile on my face today. Welcome to the world of being a dealer. Nobody wants the book for any price? Setup at shows and experience the pain! I feel as if I have been redeemed for years of Rants and Raves.

Thanks, what do I have to do to sell this freakin' book??? Give it away? I mean, it's a respectable copy . .

Anytime Bob 27_laughing.gif

Uh, thanks - I guess I should feel better now . . . . Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thank you for the big smile on my face today. Welcome to the world of being a dealer. Nobody wants the book for any price? Setup at shows and experience the pain! I feel as if I have been redeemed for years of Rants and Raves.

Thanks, what do I have to do to sell this freakin' book??? Give it away? I mean, it's a respectable copy . .

You started the bidding at $9.99?

While the ad is very nice, the scan is huge, and the information is VERY detailed... I think that hurts you on a mid-range book like this.

You basically told everyone the Overstreet price guide price is $24.

If they win at the minimum bid and then have to pay shipping, it doesn't economically make sense since a lot of people automatically think the real value is 50% of Overstreet.

So by giving TOO much information, you're hurting your own sales.

I hate to say this, but a fair percentage of the market is people looking for "deals". You're automatically leaving those people out by giving such excellent details and grading notes.

Your only market then is for people looking for accurately graded comics. For a mid-range Daredevil #19... that's a small audience.

Now if it were Uber-high grade... then the details and sharp scans would only Benefit...

Just my opinion.

Shin,

Very good points . . . flowerred.gif

So I go back to one small scan, no info, etc. for mid-grade books? 27_laughing.gif

You started the bidding at $9.99?

While the ad is very nice, the scan is huge, and the information is VERY detailed... I think that hurts you on a mid-range book like this.

You basically told everyone the Overstreet price guide price is $24.

If they win at the minimum bid and then have to pay shipping, it doesn't economically make sense since a lot of people automatically think the real value is 50% of Overstreet.

So by giving TOO much information, you're hurting your own sales.

I hate to say this, but a fair percentage of the market is people looking for "deals". You're automatically leaving those people out by giving such excellent details and grading notes.

Your only market then is for people looking for accurately graded comics. For a mid-range Daredevil #19... that's a small audience.

Now if it were Uber-high grade... then the details and sharp scans would only Benefit...

Just my opinion.

I think what was said about too much information might sum it up.You might try just calling it a SHARP copy and let the eBay community arrive at their own grading conclusions.When I see a book listed as fine on eBAY,I read,"g/vg w/ some gloss still left and possibly 1 ad page missing".That is a nice copy,by the way,and you are probably one of the better graders on these boards.It's a sad state of affairs when qualities like that work against us.But then,eBay can be quite the near sighted monster.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. you would be surprised how many eBayers would probably have bid on that if you'd called it a VF. 27_laughing.gif

You are bidding on a copy of Daredevil #19, from August 1966, with off-white to white pages - cover and art by John Romita; story by Stan Lee.  Both the cover and centerfold are attached. It is complete and intact with no pieces missing, no tears, no soiling and no writing. 

I am a collector and believe in selling my books to other collectors. I've had this book in my personal collection since 1967. 

happy collecting,

divadrabnud

I think what was said about too much information might sum it up.You might try just calling it a SHARP copy and let the eBay community arrive at their own grading conclusions.When I see a book listed as fine on eBAY,I read,"g/vg w/ some gloss still left and possibly 1 ad page missing".That is a nice copy,by the way,and you are probably one of the better graders on these boards.It's a sad state of affairs when qualities like that work against us.But then,eBay can be quite the near sighted monster.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. you would be surprised how many eBayers would probably have bid on that if you'd called it a VF. 27_laughing.gif

The only problem is that my repeat customers expect an accurate grade, and also expect the same level of definition, product and service as they have received in the past.

Perhaps I should have a second seller's name for mid-grade sales? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Kind of like the Napa wineries do with their jug wine . . .