• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What am I doing wrong here???

73 posts in this topic

As I said in another thread...start the book out at 0.99 cents and let the bargin hunters play. They'll push the book up close to your previous starting bid to say $9.50. If you would sell it for $9.99 would you sell it for $9.50?

Nothing wrong with your pic or description...you could list it a 3rd time and it might go quickly, you never know.

Or maybe set a BIN value and once again...bargin hunters can't resist popping BINS 893whatthe.gif

Nothing wrong at all. You have very nice layed out auctions always.

I ask myself the same question when something does not sell in my auction, only to be sold in my Ebay store a little later for more than the opening bid.

Its all about timing hi.gif

As I said in another thread...start the book out at 0.99 cents and let the bargin hunters play. They'll push the book up close to your previous starting bid to say $9.50. If you would sell it for $9.99 would you sell it for $9.50?

Nothing wrong with your pic or description...you could list it a 3rd time and it might go quickly, you never know.

Or maybe set a BIN value and once again...bargin hunters can't resist popping BINS 893whatthe.gif

I agree. I don't think people generally get excited about comics that book for $24, unless they can get it for a huge discount. If I needed that book, I would probably shell out an additional $10 and get one that lists for $48. Start it at 99¢ and see where it goes. If you're afraid it won't get what you want, bundle it into a lot.

With $5 shipping and a $9.99 starting bid it would cost over 50% of guide - and too be honest it looks a tad overgraded. Outside of ASM, X-Men and maybe FF I'm guessing raw mid-grade copies of most post 1964 Marvels rarely sell for 50% of OPG guide once shipping is factored in.

Your starting price is too high. Books like that are EVERYWHERE. 50% of Guide is irrelevant - Guide is wrong high on mid-grade Silver Age, especially Daredevils. Cut the price in half and it will sell.

The scan and description are too good. Take a blurry photo of it laying on your kitchen floor with your bare foot visible in the bottom corner of the picture and you might have better luck.

Seriously though, I think everyone has given pretty good advice. In this particular case, I think your starting bid is scaring people away. Even though it guides for $24, I'd guess that most mid-grade Daredevil collectors wouldn't pay more than $10 shipped for it. Sad for a nice looking book that's 40 years old, but it's the truth.

This is the kind of book that I wouldn't buy on eBay unless it were part of a larger lot. Otherwise, it's easy enough to find for the right price at a show or local shop.

Remember my friend --- You are not your grades, but you ARE your books! hi.gif

-Jim

fisrt thing i want to see under the title/issue number is the scans.

then your grade.

bullet point the flaws. verboseness is not a positive. just be clear.

then your personal blurb.

then link your other auctions

Thank you for the big smile on my face today. Welcome to the world of being a dealer. Nobody wants the book for any price? Setup at shows and experience the pain! I feel as if I have been redeemed for years of Rants and Raves.

Thanks, what do I have to do to sell this freakin' book??? Give it away? I mean, it's a respectable copy . .

Oh Bob. Sigh. Hey everyone, let's start complaining about how much we hate OUR chosen professions too! Bob, get some MLJ books in so I can buy them from you! I like your sassyness! insane.gif

What do you think of my Ebay auction formats? confused-smiley-013.gif

the prices are too high? confused-smiley-013.gif

you don't use the word "rare" enough? or at all?

flowerred.gif

the only thing that i don't like about your auctions is your use of the same image for all your thumbnails. 'tis a minor, minor quibble, and purely the result of my own bias

David, I went to the site. It might just be me but I would avoid it because the cost of postage nearly doubles the cost of the book.

In Canada, the equation that I use is-- cost of book plus cost of postage times Canadian exchange rate plus chances of getting nailed at the border for customs times hassle of ebay (including but not limited to people who overgrade books) equals real cost of book. On a book like that Daredevil I will eventually find it cheaper and with less hassle at a local convention.

Dropping the cost of postage on it might help me take a second look.

well, at a minimum, it's $15 (including s/h) for a book that guides at $24, assuming your grading is correct, so, about 40% off guide. people on ebay are cheap and looking for a bargain. OTOH, it's the sort of book you can sometimes get for half price in that condition at a store or a show. it's also the sort of book that doesn't get people too excited, as it is basically DD beating up a bunch of generic hoods.

I'd probably list it for $12-$16 in my store and wait 2 years for it to eventually sell.