• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What am I doing wrong here???

73 posts in this topic

Good suggestions all! flowerred.gif

So let me get this straight . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1) start auctions at $.99 and let it ride (lose money) foreheadslap.gif

2) cut the cost of shipping in half (again, lose money) frown.gif

3) less detail in the description (you don't really want the buyer to know what they're getting) devil.gif

4) don't list the OS guide price (again, you really don't want to inform the buyer - it's his duty to have this information at hand) angel.gif

5) cut down on the 893blahblah.gif

Perhaps I should describe it all in the title and just post one small scan devil.gif and say that I found a box of old comics in the attic . . . 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

1) start auctions at $.99 and let it ride (lose money) foreheadslap.gif

No, start the auctions at $5. Hopefully you're paying no more than a dollar or two for these books on the wholesale market.

2) cut the cost of shipping in half (again, lose money) frown.gif

Ship at cost. You shouldn't be losing money.

3) less detail in the description (you don't really want the buyer to know what they're getting) devil.gif

Detail exactly what they're getting, but don't be verbose. List all the issues with the item, the grade and a nice big picture

4) don't list the OS guide price (again, you really don't want to inform the buyer - it's his duty to have this information at hand) angel.gif

Overstreet price on these books is irrelevant.

5) cut down on the 893blahblah.gif

Perhaps I should describe it all in the title and just post one small scan devil.gif and say that I found a box of old comics in the attic . . . 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Don't be verbose. List all the issues with the item, the grade, and a nice big picure.

Donut and I are as one in this. as much as that may or may not mean to you

Actually, my summation of the recommendations was a joke . . . but, uh, thanks flowerred.gif

The feedback from fellow sellers is invaluable . . . devil.gif

Thanks again all!

"Hopefully you're paying no more than a dollar or two for these books on the wholesale market."

Please tell me where you can regularly get stuff like this for $1 or $2? Sure, if you buy a store out or a big collection, it may work out to that much when you factor in better prices paid for the better stuff in the store/collection, but I think an ebay lot of material like this is going to do better than $2 a book and you need to find a really depserate dealer at the end of a show who is going to sell you 5 long boxes of stuff like this for $1-$2 each. i don't think the desperation ever need get to that level because someone will bite at $3-$4 each in bulk for books that guide for $24. seriously, things start moving nicely at shows at 75% off of the marked price, which would likely be $6 here.

Not saying there aren't lots of opportunities to pay $1-$2 and sell for $5-$10, there are plenty and I know you make a nice living on the side doing exactly that. i just don't think so much with this type of material (12 cent mainstream marvels in nice condition). better luck with low grade 1950s/early 60's DCs where someone will get excited about a 10 cent cover price and maybe bid it up even though the comic is beat to heck. or overlooked bronze that guides for $10-$20 in VF, but some dealers still consider them dollar bin books (like the 300 copies of NTT #2 you've bought over the years)

"Hopefully you're paying no more than a dollar or two for these books on the wholesale market."

Please tell me where you can regularly get stuff like this for $1 or $2?

Uh, I paid 12 cents for this book . . . as with 95% of my collection grin.gif

More on the shipping fee...When I'm selling <$10 books, I always offer media mail (usually about $1.42, before the recent price hike), as the difference between Media and Priority can have a huge effect on the final price on cheap items.

yes, but the compounded interest on that 12 cents over the last 36 years is....well, it probably does work out to somewhere between $1 and $2.

$5 shipping is a bit of a turn-off. I find that I can send single comics for $3 or less via first class mail, so I generally do that with single issues.

I don't like sending a single comic via media mail because I figure it being so light might be suspicious.

All I can tell you is I have had books up for auction 3 or more times before they sell. I put a group of Howard the Duck books on e-bay awhile back starting at $9.99 for 30 plus books. Did not sell. Dropped it to $7.99 the next time, did not sell. Finally I said "screw it" and started the bidding at $.99. They sold for $22.75. I can never figure it out either. I have sold 6 sets of Crisis on Infinite Earths over the last 2 months ranging from $47 to $27 per NM set of 13 books.

$5 shipping is a bit of a turn-off. I find that I can send single comics for $3 or less via first class mail, so I generally do that with single issues.

Actually it isn't, it's cost, and I wouldn't ship high quality product any other way.

PM = $4.05

4 sheets of cardboard = $.60

E. Gerber 2-Mil Mylar with 24-mil buffered backboard = $.35

(4 mil with 42 -mil when books warrant it)

Cost of shipping = $5.00

I don't ship books by other methods, as this is the most cost effective way of getting HQ books to the buyer without damage grin.gif

If it turns some people off, then I'm OK with that, because they are not the customers I want to cultivate. sumo.gif

ok, well you're giving a fancy mylar and backboard in the process rather than a poly and regular board

i have a limitless supply of cardboard i chop up for free

i don't think there is any difference between PM and 1st class except cost. media is another thing entirely.

when you're selling relatively common $5-$10 books, the $5 s/h gets factored into the price and the bidding reflects it, that's all we're saying. if you've got something people really want, your s/h won't matter. but the generic stuff....

Screw it, just sell them all for peanuts. They are only comics fer crying out loud, and they will be worthless to us when we are dead sumo.gif

stooges.gif

Screw it, just sell them all for peanuts. They are only comics fer crying out loud, and they will be worthless to us when we are dead sumo.gif

...I'm having my best books burried with me ,..and I plan on having poloroids taken and sent to Greggy,...

stooges.gif

Actually it isn't, it's cost, and I wouldn't ship high quality product any other way.

PM = $4.05

4 sheets of cardboard = $.60

E. Gerber 2-Mil Mylar with 24-mil buffered backboard = $.35

(4 mil with 42 -mil when books warrant it)

Cost of shipping = $5.00

I don't ship books by other methods, as this is the most cost effective way of getting HQ books to the buyer without damage grin.gif

If it turns some people off, then I'm OK with that, because they are not the customers I want to cultivate. sumo.gif

then just build the five bucks into the price you're willing to accept, and offer free shipping in the US, slightly more to Canada

Please tell me where you can regularly get stuff like this for $1 or $2? Sure, if you buy a store out or a big collection, it may work out to that much when you factor in better prices paid for the better stuff in the store/collection, but I think an ebay lot of material like this is going to do better than $2 a book and you need to find a really depserate dealer at the end of a show who is going to sell you 5 long boxes of stuff like this for $1-$2 each. i don't think the desperation ever need get to that level because someone will bite at $3-$4 each in bulk for books that guide for $24. seriously, things start moving nicely at shows at 75% off of the marked price, which would likely be $6 here.

Not saying there aren't lots of opportunities to pay $1-$2 and sell for $5-$10, there are plenty and I know you make a nice living on the side doing exactly that. i just don't think so much with this type of material (12 cent mainstream marvels in nice condition). better luck with low grade 1950s/early 60's DCs where someone will get excited about a 10 cent cover price and maybe bid it up even though the comic is beat to heck. or overlooked bronze that guides for $10-$20 in VF, but some dealers still consider them dollar bin books (like the 300 copies of NTT #2 you've bought over the years)

you can get this kind of stuff all day long for a buck a buck. I've bought many many many long boxes of books like this for a buck a book. Remember. Overstreet is irrelevant on books like this.

you can get this kind of stuff all day long for a buck a buck. I've bought many many many long boxes of books like this for a buck a book. Remember. Overstreet is irrelevant on books like this.
Could I have Daredevil 19-38 for $20.......?..... Not being a jerk. Just asking.

Could I have Daredevil 19-38 for $20.......?..... Not being a jerk. Just asking.

$1.25 @ sumo.gif