• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS this board crowded enough to separate into WTB and WTS?

90 posts in this topic

Yes. I'd call them "Ebay, Retailers & Professional Dealers" (or something like that). And "Forum Only Selling/Buying".

I like it!

That's the ticket Arch. thumbsup2.gif

Perfect 893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like there is general concensus on this (which is quite amazing, really, and it's only February).

So I guess all we need now is for Captain Picard to say, "Make it so!" hi.gif

Larry

IS this board crowded enough to separate into WTB and WTS?

Yes. Maybe if forumites would learn to post multiple books they have for sale all in one thread instead of starting a separate thread for each individual item. And it wouldn't hurt if they bumped a thread they started from a prior week and posted at the end of that

also certain folks reposting the same want lists in new threads every other day can get tiresome... I remember when I started counting down the last 10 price variants I needed, I kept it all in the same thread and bumped it months down the road as the status changed.

Forumites should be told to get over their ego and learn to properly use a timely courtesy bump instead of panicking the minute their thread goes off the first page and starting a brand new thread to bring their obviously ignored WTB/WTS items back to pester forumites at the top of the forum threads again. 893censored-thumb.gif

Yes. Maybe if forumites would learn to post multiple books they have for sale all in one thread instead of starting a separate thread for each individual item.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Forumites should be told to get over their ego and learn to properly use a timely courtesy bump instead of panicking the minute their thread goes off the first page and starting a brand new thread to bring their obviously ignored WTB/WTS items back to pester forumites at the top of the forum threads again. 893censored-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif and also sign-rantpost.gif

Nail/Head Darth....It's very annoying to see certain forum members bump their item each and every day....I've now decided to completely ignore these sellers...lots of times when I see something I like when the thread has just been put up I put it in my watch-list, to snipe later. But if the item gets bumped every day I just say "Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? it" and remove it from the list...

Maybe an idea would be to limit the amount of times an item can be bumped ? Let's face it if after three bumps it hasn't sold....it prolly never will.

The only thing I'll say about the bumping issue is that not everyone reads these boards all day every day.

perhaps if threads were sorted only by the date of initial post, then people would stop unnecessarily bumping threads, because anyone could come to the marketplace and say, "ok, I haven't been in here in three days, let's see what threads have been posted in the last three days". right now, you can't do that. you'd only see the threads that have been replied to in the last three days. It might be the case that a handful of popular threads quickly push a bunch of 'FS' or 'WTB' threads right off the first page, and those board members that don't visit as often wouldn't see them.

Jack, that is probably why we are having this discussion about starting a separate forum for buying and selling to increase length of visibility. Sometimes there are valid ways for a thread to be "bumped" such as interest from a certain member in sale terms, discounts, condition of items, etc. I don't think that is the "bumping" that members take exception to. It is the "2hour, 90 minute, 1 hour, 30 minutes left" series of bumping that occurs from forumites who primarily only post in the marketplace.

This forum IMO was started as an offshoot from the threads in the other comic related forums where folks displayed their books in recent finds, deals, theme-intensive threads and interest was generated from that displaying that warranted a separate thread in a marketplace environment. Then folks started including their ebay sales because that is the main venue of selling used by many forumites. There have been limitations regarding competitor's products, imposed by the mods, and understandably so but before I ramble on...here is a suggestion.

If there is a WTB forum, a potential seller can take the time, in the spirit of being a contributing member, and "hook up" posters looking for products that they are going to sell, via PM. Then if there is no interest there, post something in the WTS forum with a link to the ebay auction. If there is no interest, then there is no interest. Some folks think that the more they bump their threads, there will magiacally be an increase in bids, when actually they are probably hurting their sales because many forumites are turned off by this behavior and aviod bidding to make a point of not supporting these sellers. I can see an unsolicited bump at the start of the 7 day auction, then another when there are 3 days left and then a final bump on the day of or dahy before auction end. If folks respond in between then cool. If not, then there is no interest. I know when I see you guys post WTS, I check them ALL out and if I'm looking I contact them via pm or directly on the boards or set up snipes. But sometimes and it's rare that I broadcast openly what I'm looking for, but if I do, and then I see you post the exact thing for sale without contacting me, I take slight offense. MAybe you don't want to deal with me for some reason or another but my money is as good and may be as much as the next guy's, why not make the effort to just shoot me a PM and give me a heads up.

The deals that take place in the marketplace are a result of the relationships cultivated elsewhere by the contribution of information or a sense of comraderie developed in participating passionately in threads found elsewhere all over the comic forums. Ebay has plenty of spamming tools for powersellers and sellers alike so they can pimp their wares to their past customers; I'd prefer this marketplace not become SOLELY just another pimping tool

Ebay has plenty of spamming tools for powersellers and sellers alike so they can pimp their wares to their past customers; I'd prefer this marketplace not become SOLELY just another pimping tool

But how will that change with a WTB and WTS forums? I don't see how this could ever help, and I am far more in favor of an "EBay, Dealer, Consignment, etc. Sales" and a "Forum-Only Buy and Sell" format.

That way, there is a clear line in the sand.

Ebay has plenty of spamming tools for powersellers and sellers alike so they can pimp their wares to their past customers; I'd prefer this marketplace not become SOLELY just another pimping tool

But how will that change with a WTB and WTS forums? I don't see how this could ever help, and I am far more in favor of an "EBay, Dealer, Consignment, etc. Sales" and a "Forum-Only Buy and Sell" format.

agreed. This way all the eBay posts are relegated to their own section, leaving another section open just to those who want to do business with other board members.

agreed. This way all the eBay posts are relegated to their own section, leaving another section open just to those who want to do business with other board members.

Absolutely, though I don't think 'relegated' is the right word. There is nothing wrong with eBay sales being linked in the marketplace, but a distinction between them and board only sales is a must. thumbsup2.gif

Even though I haven't read the past 6 pages or so on this thread.

I like the idea of haveing to seperate forums.

One for Selling, and one for Buying.

Makes it easier to sort out who wants something, and who's selling.

Maybe even a Trade section for those who want to strcitly trade.

My idea.