• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Comic Book Artists

82 posts in this topic

I'm gonna stay with what I know when making my "Personal Favorites" list (Silver/Bronze/Modern) so no jabs for not including Simon or Eisner.

1) John Byrne & Neal Adams (tie) - I can't pick between 'em, as both defined their eras.

2) Alan Davis - Possibly the most underrated and unappreciated comic artist/genius on the planet.

3) George Perez - High quality, high detail, long term excellence.

4) Jazzy Johnny Romita - The man who made Spidey what he is today, and icons of Gwen and MJ.

5) Dale Keown - Shoot me, but this guy is talented, and coulda been a contender.

1. Byrne/Austin - very important distinction

2. Mike Grell (early Grell)

3. Steranko

4. Neal Adams

5. Arthur Adams

6. Matt Baker

7. P. Craig Russell

8. Will Eisner

9. Lou Fine

10. Barry Smith

As has been said before some artist work varies greatly over their career, so here are my favourites and the things they did best. (in no particular order)

Steve Ditko (Spider-Man & Doctor Strange)

John Romita Sr. (Spider-Man)

Jack Kirby (Thor & FF)

Jim Streranko (Nick Fury/ covers particularly)

John Byrne (X-Men & Iron Fist)

I liked all of Joe's selections, the only one I'd adjust is Jim Lee instead of Dale Keown...

Although John Byrne's run on the X-Men and FF are some of the best art in comics... I soured on Byrne's recent work... it looks like he's phoning it in and it's really not that good anymore... such a disappointment.

Another guy I'd put on my list is Frank Brunner... although his body of work isn't all that big in comics.

I also enjoy Paul Gulacy's Master of Kung Fu... some of those covers on the MOKF are spectacular!!!

Carmine Infantino's work is some beautiful illustrative work... as is Murphy Anderson's highly under rated pencils (as well as his great inks).

I completely agree with the assessment of Alan Davis... of guys working still today, it's between him and George Perez for the artists doing the best work right now in comics. The one thing that's hurt Alan is a lack of some high profile projects and no work on a consistent monthly book. JLA: The Nail, was tremendous.

Finally, the current artist who catches my eye is Carlos Pacheco... whose JLA/JSA work was fantastic!

FAVOURITE ARTIST

[*]JOHN BYRNE- X-Men, Iron Fist, Hulk, FF, Spidey..... [*]DALE KEOWN- Pitt, Hulk [*]FRANK MILLER- Daredevil [*]JOHN BUSCEMA- Fantastic Four [*]GIL KANE- Spider-man [*]SIMONSON- Thor [*]MCFARLANE- Spidey and Spawn

1. Byrne/Austin - very important distinction

2. Mike Grell (early Grell)

3. Steranko

4. Neal Adams

5. Arthur Adams

6. Matt Baker

7. P. Craig Russell

8. Will Eisner

9. Lou Fine

10. Barry Smith

11. Mac Raboy

12. Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott or Mike Royer (early)

13. Infantino/Anderson

14. Gil Kane

15. Mike Golden

16. Wally Wood

17. Jerry Robinson

18. Joe Kubert

19. John Severin

20. Mike Kaluta

21. Bernie Wrightson

22. Dave Stevens

23. Alex Ross

24. Walt Simonson

25. Bryan Hitch

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gifwink.gif

I believe the S.A. was to me the "Renaissance" of the comicbook art form. That is my first impressions on the world of comic art, such well know artist like KIRBY,BUSECMA,ROMITA,DITKO...etc,etc. I could go on but you get the idea and those guys level of artistry paved the way for the future artist of today.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893blahblah.gif

I'm just staying in the SA:

[*]Barry Smith

[*]Neal Adams

[*]Berni Wrightson

[*]Jack Kirby

[*]Jim Starlin

[*]Steve Ditko

[*]Murphy Anderson

[*]Frank Brunner

[*]Joe Staton (yeah...that's right)

[*]Jim Aparo

Ask again another day and I may change the order..... insane.gif

im surprised nobody has mentioned frank frazetta yet, my selctions were for modern artist, but if i pick GA, frazetta's in for sure along with that schomburg fella. 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

IMO...Frazetta is in a whole differant class...along with Vaughn Bode...Boris Valejo...and so on.... 893blahblah.gif