• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Mark Jewelers" insert

51 posts in this topic

I have Master of Kung Fu with the insert 15 to 40 I believe! If its not so important why does CGC make note of it on the Label?

"Important" wouldn't be the word I'd use. Different would be more apt. And that's why CGC notes the insert, it's different than the majority of copies out there.

Jim

Good point. Steve B. mentioned that as an impartial 3rd party grader their job is to note differences, not to establish collectibility. So that's why CGC does not use the term "rare insert" unlike some other grading companies.

For those out there that care...

Seems as if DC and Marvel weren't the only publishers that carried Mark Jewelers inserts. frustrated.gif

Bought a collection today containing a 1973 Gold Key with the insert. The collection, bought by a single owner (German national working for the military) straight from the military newsstands, included Marvel and DC as well as Atlas Seaboard and a small sampling of Charltons. None of the comics from the last two publishers had inserts...

Jim

The Mark Jewelers inserts were in the Dell/Gold key books from about 1973 to about 1976. I would have to check my list of books for better dates. They are also printed on the inside front or back covers for Charlton books for approximately the same dates. The Marvel and DC ran pretty much from 1972 to at least 1989. With National Diamond Sales being earlier in the Marvel issues in 1971 to 1972 893blahblah.gif

I did track down the owner of Mark Jewelers a year ago and he was pretty informative regarding what he could actually remember. I did contact CBM to see if they wanted to do an article but it never happened. Basically, National Diamond Sales began in the early 1970's. The earliest I have from them is April 1971 Thor #187. National Diamond Sales ran from June 1971 through September/October of 1972. Then Mark Jewelers ran November and December of 1972 and then National Diamond Sales ran from January 1973 to at least April of 1973 (I am missing inserts from May and June of 1973). After July of 1973, Mark Jewelers took over and are in all subsequent issues. An interesting side note, July of 1973 had an additional insert between the cover and first wrap for the Mennen Millionaire Sweepstakes, although it is not in every issue I have. In October of 1973, another insert also between the cover and first wrap for the United Service Club, which is in every issue I have. It appears D.C. and Dell began around August of 1972 with the Mark Jewelers inserts. I have never seen a National Diamond Sales insert in any other publisher besides Marvel. gossip.gif

Russ

I'm going to go point by point...

National Diamond Sales began in the early 1970's. The earliest I have from them is April 1971 Thor #187.

Oldest I've seen as well...

National Diamond Sales ran from June 1971 through September/October of 1972. Then Mark Jewelers ran November and December of 1972 and then National Diamond Sales ran from January 1973 to at least April of 1973 (I am missing inserts from May and June of 1973). After July of 1973, Mark Jewelers took over and are in all subsequent issues.

I also do not have inserts for May/June 73 comics. I've bought unbroken runs of comics with MJ inserts but these months are missing. I have wondered whether these months were skipped...

An interesting side note, July of 1973 had an additional insert between the cover and first wrap for the Mennen Millionaire Sweepstakes, although it is not in every issue I have.

I have one in every July issue I have. Possibly the insert was pulled after the Mennen form was filled out? On the otherhand, have an issue with the wrap but without the insert. But you can see from the centerfold staples that the insert was pulled out. I've seen CGC copies of this issue noted with the wrap but the insert isn't mentioned. It's my belief these copies are incomplete and the insert has been removed.

In October of 1973, another insert also between the cover and first wrap for the United Service Club, which is in every issue I have.

I'm wondering whether the insert was geared especially for the theater they were sent too. All copies I have mention European clubs. None in the Pacific. Doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be a Pacific version...unless those Vietnam soldiers really wanted to join the Rhein Main Club... confused.gif

It appears D.C. and Dell began around August of 1972 with the Mark Jewelers inserts.

I have no DC insert older than Aug 72. Found about the GKs w/ insert this weekend.

Of note...the MJ inserts stopped over two months in Marvels cover dated May/Jun 1991. DCs stopped much sooner than that. I have them going into late 1984 but don't have a definitve stop date as yet.

I have never seen a National Diamond Sales insert in any other publisher besides Marvel. gossip.gif

Never seen one in other than Marvels either...

Thanks for sharing...

Jim

I went back and looked through my D.C. Stuff and the most recent one I have is may 84, none after. I also do not have any Gold Key after 8/74, but the person I bought them from ended most of his books around that time period. The most recent Marvel I have is Amazing Spiderman 328 1/90. Do you have any more recent than that? Also I have been curious if anyone has ever seen a Spiderman 300 with an insert?

The most recent Marvel I have is Amazing Spiderman 328 1/90. Do you have any more recent than that?

Oh yeah...I have a load of them up to the end. I was lucky enough to be buying Marvels off the military newsstands for a couple of years before they ended. That's how I know definitively when they ended.

The latest DC I have with the insert is Jun 84.

Also I have been curious if anyone has ever seen a Spiderman 300 with an insert?

Yep...

Jim

I have one in every July issue I have. Possibly the insert was pulled after the Mennen form was filled out? On the otherhand, have an issue with the wrap but without the insert. But you can see from the centerfold staples that the insert was pulled out. I've seen CGC copies of this issue noted with the wrap but the insert isn't mentioned. It's my belief these copies are incomplete and the insert has been removed.

Jim

I inspected my ASM 122 with the Mennen insert...and found no evidence that an addditional MJ insert was removed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW- As a point of interest, I heard from another collector a few years back that they also had an ASM 122 with the Mennen insert. What was interesting...was that the glossy insert was wrapped over top of the cover.

The guy said the actual cover underneath was pristine. cloud9.gif

Wish I still had that contact info. I would love to track that book down. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I inspected my ASM 122 with the Mennen insert...and found no evidence that an addditional MJ insert was removed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Will never know for sure but I have multiple copies of the Mennen insert (and this also goes for the Club wrap in Oct 1973 copies as well) and most have the MJ insert. For those that don't, you can see the staples are eithered pulled out to a degree or are slightly recessed to make up for where the insert was.

The MJ inserts were in all Marvels most every month from 1971-1991 to overseas miltary exchanges. The wraps were two month wonders in 1973. Why have the wrap and not the inserts? We know BOTH the wrap and the insert for those months were placed in those comics. I doubt they would have had wrap and not the insert. The other way around is far more plausible based on what is known about these inserts...

Jim