"Mark Jewelers" insert
2 2

51 posts in this topic

16,986 posts
Has anyone ever seen an ASM 121 with the MJ insert?

No...but it's entirely possible. Seems a bit early for inserts by a few years though.

Jim

39,718 posts
Seems a bit early for inserts by a few years though.

At most, ASM 121 could only be ONE MONTH early, as I have an ASM 122 with the MJ insert.

16,986 posts

Well there you go then...

I was using the list provided as by TomG as a basis. If you have #122, I'd imagine there are #121's out there as well.

Jim

1,225 posts

A #121 sounds possible. The list of issues I posted are just the issues I have owned and there are easily a lot more of these books out there. If anyone one wants to organize a list please let me know as I would love to see it.

36,972 posts

Iron Man 52 also has one.

23,512 posts

If you have #122, I'd imagine there are #121's out there as well.

Yes, a CGC 9.2 copy of ASM #121 (white pages) with the MJ insert sold for $280 on February 8, 2002.

Gene

2,059 posts

I just sold an Amazing Spiderman #129 and the MJ insert was also noted on the CGC notes.

16,986 posts

Well the question I have is what is the oldest example of a comic with a Mark Jewelers insert? I can fill in some of the later gaps but I didn't imagine that they went all the way back to the Vietnam war.

Jim

16,446 posts
Well the question I have is what is the oldest example of a comic with a Mark Jewelers insert?

I can take the insert out of one of mine and you can put it in any book you want. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

16,986 posts

Nah...I'll let other less honest people do that for me. smirk.gif I'm still curious to find out when the inserts started though.......

Jim

1,225 posts

If some is keeping a list of these than here are several more examples.

HOUSE OF SECRETS #104, OUR FIGHTING FORCES #142 , 173, 176, 178, STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES #167, 168, 204, RICHARD DRAGON KUNG-FU FIGHTER #5, WARLORD #8, SGT. ROCK #304, KARATE KID #7,SHAZAM #20, KORAK SON OF TARZAN #48, SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE #9, JONAH HEX #2, TARZAN #222, 237, 256, METAL MEN #51, and RAGMAN #3.

36,972 posts

X-Men 140

6,329 posts

This could be a different Jeweler insert, but supposedly someone had one on an ASM 301.

Brian

1,225 posts

The later inserts are on paper and not the cardboard stock like the 1970's issues.

12,347 posts
If some is keeping a list of these than here are several more examples.

HOUSE OF SECRETS #104, OUR FIGHTING FORCES #142 , 173, 176, 178, STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES #167, 168, 204, RICHARD DRAGON KUNG-FU FIGHTER #5, WARLORD #8, SGT. ROCK #304, KARATE KID #7,SHAZAM #20, KORAK SON OF TARZAN #48, SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE #9, JONAH HEX #2, TARZAN #222, 237, 256, METAL MEN #51, and RAGMAN #3.

Special Marvel Edition #15 has one. Another great reason to own this book. grin.gif

11,066 posts

Ok, since so many people have asked, here's my list of books with MJI (list). There are 778 books in this list and it's not complete.

I have identified 11 different ones dating all the way back to April 1972. However, I am still working on identifying all of them. Many of them look the same but have slight variation that make them different.

Enjoy

12,347 posts

Good work. 893applaud-thumb.gif I never realised there were so many. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

2,589 posts
Ok, since so many people have asked, here's my list of books with MJI (list). There are 778 books in this list and it's not complete.I have identified 11 different ones dating all the way back to April 1972. However, I am still working on identifying all of them. Many of them look the same but have slight variation that make them different.Enjoy
I have Master of Kung Fu with the insert 15 to 40 I believe! If its not so important why does CGC make note of it on the Label?

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Davidking623

2,393 posts

I have quite a few myself, from memory I have a X-men 94 with one!

16,986 posts
I have Master of Kung Fu with the insert 15 to 40 I believe! If its not so important why does CGC make note of it on the Label?

"Important" wouldn't be the word I'd use. Different would be more apt. And that's why CGC notes the insert, it's different than the majority of copies out there.

Jim