• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby Thor Prices?

15 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/JIM-123-p1-Splash-Hu...1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres no doubt that this is a gorgeous Kirby Thor image, a classic Thor stance, but can anyone tell me what the real market would be on a Thor splash of this calibre. Unless I have been out of the game way too long, surely that is almost the price of a Kirby Thor cover, no?

Clem...

Unless I have been out of the game way too long, surely that is almost the price of a Kirby Thor cover, no?

I agree it is pricey for a Kirby and Vinny splash. I would put real market anywhere from $13-15k. I have seen at least 3 splashes from this run go above $12k in the last 18 months. If it were Kirby Stone I would say it was on the money....so to speak. 27_laughing.gif

The entire Kirby market has been zipping along at a pre-'93 pace for over a year now. When you have panel pages from avengers and ff going for $15-25K and splashes going for $30-40K, it makes the pieces from the other titles seem like bargains.

And if anyone can find Kirby Large Art Thor Covers for less than $20K please let me know I am interested. Better yet any Kirby Large Art main title Superhero Covers for less than 20K let me know....I have not been able to spot anything under $30K for a long long time. frown.gif

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

Unless I have been out of the game way too long, surely that is almost the price of a Kirby Thor cover, no?

If it were Kirby Stone I would say it was on the money....so to speak. 27_laughing.gif

The entire Kirby market has been zipping along at a pre-'93 pace for over a year now. When you have panel pages from avengers and ff going for $15-25K and splashes going for $30-40K, it makes the pieces from the other titles seem like bargains.

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

I know there are some Kirby X-men splash pages in the $30-40K mark but panel pages from Avengers & FF going for $15-25K? Whoa Chris, are you sure about that? I really have been out of the game. Can you give any examples with page numbers?

Thanks, Clem..

I realize if you look closely enough at the image you can see who the inker is, but notice how it's explicitely stated in the description?

sign-rantpost.gif

In view of who the seller is I think this is entirely consistent with his/their usual MO. Some of the seller's auction descriptions need to be read quite closely as an artist is often listed in the description in the hope that you'll assume that person worked on the piece. For instance the 2nd Death mini series was not completely pencilled by Chris Bachalo as inker Mark Buckingham took over part way through yet Bucky pencilled pages are listed with Chris Bachalo's name in the auction description in the hope that no one will realise he never touched the page in question. Similarly Matt Wagner pencilled an issue of the Demon mini series which was inked by Alcala and this was canned in favour of starting over with Art Nichols as inker yet the Seller was listing pages from the Alcala issue with no mention that these were not actually the published pages.

I feel very strongly this seller's whole policy of obfuscation in their auctions descriptions is so clearly calculated to mislead that I've made a point of not dealing with him.

End of.

Joseph

I know there are some Kirby X-men splash pages in the $30-40K mark but panel pages from Avengers & FF going for $15-25K? Whoa Chris, are you sure about that? I really have been out of the game. Can you give any examples with page numbers?

Thanks, Clem..

Well two of the pages in question were in heritage auctions.

A two pages from Avenger's #1 Page 6 and 14 (not splashes) went for approx $11k and $15K respectively...and a panel page from FF#5 page 4 went for $25,300. There are more private transactions like this...these were the most public. And they are searchable on Heritage.

I also have been witness to a couple of chapter pages from FF going for between $25k and $45k. Kirby has kinda been jump started the last 12-18 months.

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

Thanks, Clem..

Well two of the pages in question were in heritage auctions.

A two pages from Avenger's #1 Page 6 and 14 (not splashes) went for approx $11k and $15K respectively...and a panel page from FF#5 page 4 went for $25,300. There are more private transactions like this...these were the most public. And they are searchable on Heritage.

I also have been witness to a couple of chapter pages from FF going for between $25k and $45k. Kirby has kinda been jump started the last 12-18 months.

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

Thanks Chris,

Now that you mentioned it. I do remember the FF Doom origin page from heritage.

I had no idea that Kirby was picking up. Those examples that you gave are from key books though.

Clem...

That's what I was thinking.What if I don't like them 27_laughing.gif.They may have stains from cigar ashes on them.Hard to argue with a stack of pages from Kang's first appearance.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

That's what I was thinking.What if I don't like them 27_laughing.gif.They may have stains from cigar ashes on them.Hard to argue with a stack of pages from Kang's first appearance.GOD BLESS...

Did Kirby do full pencils for that issue? For some reason I'm thinking he did the layouts, meaning Ayers had a much heavier hand in the art than Jack did. But I don't have a splash page from the issue to confirm it.

Did Kirby do full pencils for that issue? For some reason I'm thinking he did the layouts, meaning Ayers had a much heavier hand in the art than Jack did. But I don't have a splash page from the issue to confirm it.

Kirby is credited for full pencils in AVENGERS # 8 (Ken Danker had the splash up on CAF, it may still be there?).

Interestingly, the only scan presented for the auction is that for page 12. The remaining 3 pages (13 - 15) are fairly lacklustre, and aside from Kang, feature minor characters like the Wasp, Ricky Jones, the Teen Brigade and Dr. Don Blake . . .

Kirby is credited for full pencils in AVENGERS # 8 (Ken Danker had the splash up on CAF, it may still be there?).

Interestingly, the only scan presented for the auction is that for page 12. The remaining 3 pages (13 - 15) are fairly lacklustre, and aside from Kang, feature minor characters like the Wasp, Ricky Jones, the Teen Brigade and Dr. Don Blake . . .

Thanks, I couldn't remember. The page 12 shown does not look like the most kirby-esque page I've seen from that era. But it's not a spectacular scan.