• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

864 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Fun one came in the mail today via the bay. Placed opening bid, forgot about it. Was free postage, got $3. off with eBay bucks, total cost $7. All Powell art, spent it’s whole life since 1948 in it’s original mailer. Fun book too!

3BBB17CB-E166-4178-B0FB-392460FC2002.jpeg

You stole that one, sometimes you just get lucky even on feebay 

On 12/28/2014 at 12:52 AM, Dr. Love said:

This 1969 Amazing Spider-Man promotional mini-comic was originally attached to Eye Magazine which is about the size of a Life Magazine. The full-color Amazing Spider-Man mini-comic, "The Birth of a Hero!," reprints Amazing Spider-Man #42 minus the subplots. It is 20-pages, measures 6-3/4 inches x 4-3/4 inches.

The book is worth more if it comes still attached to one of the two magazines it was produced for: Eye and Esquire. Stand alone copies often show signs of how they were detached from the magazine. Hard to find in grade no matter what.

AmazingSpiderManGiveawayEyefc100_zpsf80ebce8.jpg

"hard to find in grade, no matter what" - that from 4 years ago

11 copies in the census, and for the past 16 years this promo couldn't get higher than 6.0. But now there is the recently highest graded 6.5 in the Comic Link auction.  Currently at $413!

I picked up a copy of "The Story Behind Your Liberty!" today at my LCS. Seemed thematically appropriate for the 4th of July. 

I've done some googling but I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out value; there's only one for sale on ebay, and one completed listing, and the price range seems random with just those two bits of data. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks.

On 7/4/2019 at 9:01 PM, Crimebuster said:

I picked up a copy of "The Story Behind Your Liberty!" today at my LCS. Seemed thematically appropriate for the 4th of July. 

I've done some googling but I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out value; there's only one for sale on ebay, and one completed listing, and the price range seems random with just those two bits of data. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Not a book I'm familiar with. Be interested in seeing a post of your copy.

7 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

I was going to scan it, but then I immediately misplaced it. lol

But I found it again!

1905324468_libertyfc.jpg.421c1d9223d7b25af4d36805c267483b.jpg

2132016666_libertybc.jpg.a231e91719c117741e835f6b5d6e5e95.jpg

Interesting. Not listed on GCD. From the back cover, I think it would qualify as an anti-Communist promo. I assume it was published in the early 1950s, given that Stalin was still around. I don't think Stalin owed his power to people having voted for him in a free election!

29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting. Not listed on GCD. From the back cover, I think it would qualify as an anti-Communist promo. I assume it was published in the early 1950s, given that Stalin was still around. I don't think Stalin owed his power to people having voted for him in a free election!

Lonestar has a hilarious writeup of it:

"The Story Behind Your Liberty was produced in 1952 during the Cold War by the National Association of Manufacturers as an educational give-away comic. It was intended to inform young readers about our right to vote and how important that right is to our freedom. One panel shows a drawing of Stalin on the back page. The Story Behind Your Liberty was published during a period when the commie threat was real. Thanks in great part to Ronald Reagan, communism is now where it belongs, in the dustbin of history."

The cover artist is apparently Victor Dowd, who I gather did a lot of children's book illustrations.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:54 PM, Crimebuster said:

Lonestar has a hilarious writeup of it:

"The Story Behind Your Liberty was produced in 1952 during the Cold War by the National Association of Manufacturers as an educational give-away comic. It was intended to inform young readers about our right to vote and how important that right is to our freedom. One panel shows a drawing of Stalin on the back page. The Story Behind Your Liberty was published during a period when the commie threat was real. Thanks in great part to Ronald Reagan, communism is now where it belongs, in the dustbin of history."

The cover artist is apparently Victor Dowd, who I gather did a lot of children's book illustrations.

The art does look familiar.

Great runs ka.  Interesting to note all of the stores in those small towns - most of those stores gone now I would assume - as might be the shoe brands.

Funny to note that they come "With the compliments of..." but have a 10 cent price on them lol

Dang!

Was looking forward to ordering this Wednesday it's original release date, but now B&N is stating it will be available Sept 29th.

I really want it to see if Super Book of Comics (Hancock edition) #NN (1948). is pictured in it.

It is a Bugs Bunny issue that reportedly is not a reprint of any of the earlier Omar editions. I have not ever seen this book (not even an image) on eBay, convention shows, not even a 'hit' on my dealer want lists after a long time of hunting! 

I'm hoping an image turns up in this book. If it's not included, i'm really beginning to believe it belongs on the 'Does Not Exist' list . 

Sure it wouldn't 'break the bank' but It is my Grail of grails. 

Free Comics HC book.jpg

9 minutes ago, sagii said:

Dang!

Was looking forward to ordering this Wednesday it's original release date, but now B&N is stating it will be available Sept 29th.

I really want it to see if Super Book of Comics (Hancock edition) #NN (1948). is pictured in it.

It is a Bugs Bunny issue that reportedly is not a reprint of any of the earlier Omar editions. I have not ever seen this book (not even an image) on eBay, convention shows, not even a 'hit' on my dealer want lists after a long time of hunting! 

I'm hoping an image turns up in this book. If it's not included, i'm really beginning to believe it belongs on the 'Does Not Exist' list . 

Sure it wouldn't 'break the bank' but It is my Grail of grails. 

Thanks for posting this, Corey.  Sorry it is delayed but I wasn't aware it.  I plan to pick up a copy.