• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Young Avengers and/or Ultimates

32 posts in this topic

Yes, I just received in 1-8 today and they are a good read. Thus, I am getting more. The last few months, I have purchased more Marvels than I had in 20 years. The writing and art have gone up significantly. And believe it or not, if someone recommends a Marvel to me, I don't snub it. It just seems like Marvel during SA, BA, and CA was horrible. Just the books published in the last few years have been worth reading.

It just seems like Marvel during SA, BA, and CA was horrible. Just the books published in the last few years have been worth reading.

yeahok.gif

screwy.gif

Let's I ran through a batch of FF and ASM's. Found them dreadful. Early Hulk was decent as was Silver Surfer.

Well the very early issues were awkward.

Think of a child learning to walk...

After 1964 most all of the storylines picked up pretty good.

Geez - FF 1-100 is, imo, the greatest run ever in the history of comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

1 - 125 thumbsup2.gif

125 was the last Stan Lee story. cloud9.gif

Geez - FF 1-100 is, imo, the greatest run ever in the history of comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the first few issues ARE a bit funky, but I'd go with 38-75 as one of the greatest runs ever. thumbsup2.gif

Well, there is a reason that I keep saying, I would like to meet Uncle Stan, beotch slap him and say "Excelsior my 893censored-thumb.gif!!"

Can we just clarify...You have read 'a few issues of FF and ASM' yet you feel that is a large enough cross-section of books to say that all Marvels from the SA, BA and CA were awful? confused-smiley-013.gifinsane.gif

Yeah, pretty much. I catch a reprint here and there it pretty much tells me the SA sucked(both Marvel and DC). The Bronze Age had few good series and all of those were DC. Copper tried to read some of the various Spider-Man, Hulk etc and threw up a little in my mouth. Pretty much read DC/Vertigo titles and their progenators exclusively. Did like Detective Comics for the most part but once Knightfall hit well....

Yeah, pretty much. I catch a reprint here and there it pretty much tells me the SA sucked(both Marvel and DC). The Bronze Age had few good series and all of those were DC. Copper tried to read some of the various Spider-Man, Hulk etc and threw up a little in my mouth. Pretty much read DC/Vertigo titles and their progenators exclusively. Did like Detective Comics for the most part but once Knightfall hit well....

I just find these types of comment a bit strange. confused-smiley-013.gif

You started this thread out by saying you like Young Avengers and other 'new' Marvels. Well, the fact of the matter is there is a HUGE amount of material from Marvels past that is vastly superior to what they are putting out now.

It seems to me that you are so much of a DC zombie that you have blinkered yourself against liking older Marvel books. That is a real shame, because as a comic book fan, you have excluded a lot of excelent material from your reading list.

If I blinkered myself, I wouldn't go to the trouble of reading the execrable stuff from SA and BA. Plus, I have said that DC sucked as bad if not worse(At least Marvel wasn't as campy) as Marvel during the Silver Age. Pre-Hero Marvel was good however. At least the few stories, I have read. I just keep getting disappointed when I read Marvel in SA and BA.

You started this thread out by saying you like Young Avengers and other 'new' Marvels. Well, the fact of the matter is there is a HUGE amount of material from Marvels past that is vastly superior to what they are putting out now.

It seems to me that you are so much of a DC zombie that you have blinkered yourself against liking older Marvel books. That is a real shame, because as a comic book fan, you have excluded a lot of excelent material from your reading list.

I find most (all?) SA Marvels to be virtually unreadable. The stories themselves (in form and concept) are undeniably great, but the execution (dialogue, in particular) is so stilted and ridiculous that it's hard to enjoy them. Granted, I'm not 75 years old, so maybe that's my Young Man's Mind talking.

I find most (all?) SA Marvels to be virtually unreadable. The stories themselves (in form and concept) are undeniably great, but the execution (dialogue, in particular) is so stilted and ridiculous that it's hard to enjoy them. Granted, I'm not 75 years old, so maybe that's my Young Man's Mind talking.

The same could be said of your posts.