• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Young Avengers and/or Ultimates

32 posts in this topic

Yeah, pretty much. I catch a reprint here and there it pretty much tells me the SA sucked(both Marvel and DC). The Bronze Age had few good series and all of those were DC. Copper tried to read some of the various Spider-Man, Hulk etc and threw up a little in my mouth. Pretty much read DC/Vertigo titles and their progenators exclusively. Did like Detective Comics for the most part but once Knightfall hit well....

I just find these types of comment a bit strange. confused-smiley-013.gif

You started this thread out by saying you like Young Avengers and other 'new' Marvels. Well, the fact of the matter is there is a HUGE amount of material from Marvels past that is vastly superior to what they are putting out now.

It seems to me that you are so much of a DC zombie that you have blinkered yourself against liking older Marvel books. That is a real shame, because as a comic book fan, you have excluded a lot of excelent material from your reading list.

I find most (all?) SA Marvels to be virtually unreadable. The stories themselves (in form and concept) are undeniably great, but the execution (dialogue, in particular) is so stilted and ridiculous that it's hard to enjoy them. Granted, I'm not 75 years old, so maybe that's my Young Man's Mind talking.

The same could be said of your posts.

It's true, my posts aren't 75 years old. Good math, DL! thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, pretty much. I catch a reprint here and there it pretty much tells me the SA sucked(both Marvel and DC). The Bronze Age had few good series and all of those were DC. Copper tried to read some of the various Spider-Man, Hulk etc and threw up a little in my mouth. Pretty much read DC/Vertigo titles and their progenators exclusively. Did like Detective Comics for the most part but once Knightfall hit well....

I just find these types of comment a bit strange. confused-smiley-013.gif

You started this thread out by saying you like Young Avengers and other 'new' Marvels. Well, the fact of the matter is there is a HUGE amount of material from Marvels past that is vastly superior to what they are putting out now.

It seems to me that you are so much of a DC zombie that you have blinkered yourself against liking older Marvel books. That is a real shame, because as a comic book fan, you have excluded a lot of excelent material from your reading list.

I find most (all?) SA Marvels to be virtually unreadable. The stories themselves (in form and concept) are undeniably great, but the execution (dialogue, in particular) is so stilted and ridiculous that it's hard to enjoy them. Granted, I'm not 75 years old, so maybe that's my Young Man's Mind talking.

The same could be said of your posts.

It's true, my posts aren't 75 years old. Good math, DL! thumbsup2.gif

acclaim.gif

Well, there is a reason that I keep saying, I would like to meet Uncle Stan, beotch slap him and say "Excelsior my 893censored-thumb.gif!!"

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif

But seriously from the 70s and 80s I highly suggest

Avengers from 160-180 or so. Also Avengers Annuals 8-11.

X-men 94-137 - REQUIRED READING the best from the 70s. X-men Annual 2

Ghost Rider 35 - Starlin Death Story

I personally liked the Human Fly and I am not afraid to say it. grin.gif

Fantastic Four 220 to about 260 - Byrne at his best.

Legion of Super Heroes - Great Darkness Saga - like 290-295 or so.

Teen Titans 1-40 or so. The Judas Contract was awesome.

Just a few books.

I pick and choose in SA in Marvel. I agree with above posters. The ideas are wonderful, but the execution and yes some of the art I just find not too my taste. Not insulting Kirby and Ditko just not my style. Sometimes you can really tell they were flying by the seat of their pants early on.

I love the Steranko stuff well ahead his time as well as Krusty Bunkers(??) - Bonus Point for the first one who tells me who he is or what he was? Perlin and Colan were hit and misses too. Marvel hit its stride in the mid 70s both with writing and art I think. With Shooter guiding them with a very firm hand they produced some remarkable books during that time. Mid 70ish to early 80s.

Young Avengers issues 9 and up. Ultimates issues 2 and up. Thanks for the help guys.

Timulty, glad you are enjoying Young Avengers and the Ultimates. YA is a book that, for me at least, reminds me of how fun comics were when I was young, and the Ultimates is just a great read. Issues 11 and 12 of YA are shaping up to be a blast thumbsup2.gif

Young Avengers issues 9 and up. Ultimates issues 2 and up. Thanks for the help guys.

Timulty, glad you are enjoying Young Avengers and the Ultimates. YA is a book that, for me at least, reminds me of how fun comics were when I was young, and the Ultimates is just a great read. Issues 11 and 12 of YA are shaping up to be a blast thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. I have been reading more Marvel because of that. Plenty of action, good artwork and now the dialogue and plot are becoming noteworthy. Something else I forgot, I read through early X-men(knew a guys who had a collection) and read The Dark Phoenix Saga. As I remember it, it wasn't bad. So, there is Marvel storyline that I read.

Hey Timulty,

First off, you should read whatever books you happen to like...because why not! thumbsup2.gif

And in fact, these days I'm 90% a DC fellow myself. But there have been high-quality Marvels in each of the various "ages", and most writers & artists switched back and forth between both companies anyway.

If you're open to testing the waters on some more Marvels, my very highest recommend goes to the Miller/Mazzuchelli "Born Again" run on Daredevil, #227-#233. A still-very-cheap copper run with truly excellent writing & artwork, and I believe they've found their way into trade paperback format by now. Can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy. (I'm also awfully fond of those early Ditko Spidermans, but not everyone's cup o' tea I guess!)