• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam or is somebody just mistaken here?

72 posts in this topic

over $200 for a 9.8??????? the book is only worth $10 in 9.2 that really doesn't make any sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

A ton of those auctions were fraudulently listed as "ASM 300 Chromium Variant" or similar, fooling the EBay insufficiently_thoughtful_persons into thinking it was a variant of the actual ASM 300 run. when it's really a Modern "Collectible Classics" reprint, produced a decade or more after the fact.

So, just like the $100 people are paying for a "rare" newstand copy of Spawn #1, or the fools forking over thousands for a German reprint of Hulk 181, it really comes down to creative/fraudulent marketing, not real-world value.

no no no no

This is seriously a tough book to get. It not only is a great looking book, but has a gorgeous back cover!

Not a German variant or a UPC version, these were only available through one of the defunct online companies like American Entertainment.

I am positive no one if being mislead on this copy or the Spiderman #1 reprint chrome.

Check out graded books, check out ended auctions and current books. Many different buyers. The Spawn #1 UPC has no history behind it sales-wise. This book has been this high for well over a year.

oh and if it helps, I would rather have a ASM #300 anyday in high grade!

That does make me feel a little better. I guess the whole world isn't completely screwed up yet. yeahok.gif

I gotta know this then.... are the other Marvel Collectible Classics (like for X-Men #141 and GSXM #1) that are also reprints worth a small fortune as well, relatively speaking of course?

no, they are relatively reasonable. I have been watching and most can be found in that $10-20 range on ebay.

The Spiderman Chromiums (there are 2, #300 and Spiderman #1 relaunch with McFarlane) are the big ones. although...

I tend to think these come back almost always a 9.6-9.8 due to the nature of the pretty solid covers.

Part of the reason I believe the X-men are not worth as much has to do with all new covers. Say they had left the Days of Futures Past cover as the original Byrne #141. I think that would be a very desireable cover!

no no no no

This is seriously a tough book to get. It not only is a great looking book, but has a gorgeous back cover!

Not a German variant or a UPC version, these were only available through one of the defunct online companies like American Entertainment.

I am positive no one if being mislead on this copy or the Spiderman #1 reprint chrome.

So you are "positive" no one has ever been mislead?

I guess you don't follow these "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant" auctions too much, as no one actually lists the real title (or else someone would look up the value in OS) and there have been a few newbs VERY disappointed to actually find out what they bought.

Seriously, if this book is so "rare and valuable" why the fraudulent and incorrect listings? Why not list it as a "Collectible Classic"?

Part of the reason I believe the X-men are not worth as much has to do with all new covers. Say they had left the Days of Futures Past cover as the original Byrne #141. I think that would be a very desireable cover!

Really think about what you're writing. Seriously.

The reason the X-Men books don't sell for big $$$ is because they have new covers and cannot be fraudulently listed as an "X-Men 141 Chromium Variant".

foreheadslap.gif

no no no no

Check out graded books, check out ended auctions and current books. Many different buyers. The Spawn #1 UPC has no history behind it sales-wise. This book has been this high for well over a year.

I bought one of these when AE first sold them, and I loved it. When I had to finally sell it about a year and a half ago, I put a BIN price of $49.99, and it was sold within 12 hours. Mine was an error copy, though, because the cover was on upside down and backwards. I don't know if that helped it, but it apparently didn't hinder it any (and of course I played it up as a very rare error copy).

over $200 for a 9.8??????? the book is only worth $10 in 9.2 that really doesn't make any sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

I went through this exact same thing a few months ago, and posted some threads to the same effect. I was in the market for a MCC: Spider-Man #2 (reprint of Spider-Man #1) and was confused as to why Overstreet would list it at $10 ro $20 while they were routinely selling for over $100.

In the end, it all comes down to supply and demand. They're highly desirable books, and as such the prices go up. Perhaps Overstreet 36 will have an updated value on these two books.

A ton of those auctions were fraudulently listed as "ASM 300 Chromium Variant" or similar, fooling the EBay insufficiently_thoughtful_persons into thinking it was a variant of the actual ASM 300 run. when it's really a Modern "Collectible Classics" reprint, produced a decade or more after the fact.

So, just like the $100 people are paying for a "rare" newstand copy of Spawn #1, or the fools forking over thousands for a German reprint of Hulk 181, it really comes down to creative/fraudulent marketing, not real-world value.

While you're right insofar as an auction titled "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #1" wouldn't get the bids a "ASM #300 Chromium Variant" auction would, they NEVER get listed on eBay as such.

I mean, if every single copy of the issue sells for X dollars, are the buyers really getting screwed? It's not like they're forced to resell it at a much lower price. If they want to turn it around, they can get somewhere around the price they bought it for. Isn't that the definition of Fair Market Value?

While you're right insofar as an auction titled "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #1" wouldn't get the bids a "ASM #300 Chromium Variant" auction would, they NEVER get listed on eBay as such.

Exactly, and hence the problem.

If an honest person buys this fraudulent "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant", finds out he was suckered, and then decides to resell it, he's also got to put up a fraudulent auction, or come clean, list it correctly as "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #1", and take a serious bath on the resale value.

You get it right, there is NO SUCH THING as an "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant". It DOES NOT EXIST, so people selling these fictitious books are FRAUDS.

no no no no

So you are "positive" no one has ever been mislead?

I guess you don't follow these "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant" auctions too much, as no one actually lists the real title (or else someone would look up the value in OS) and there have been a few newbs VERY disappointed to actually find out what they bought.

Seriously, if this book is so "rare and valuable" why the fraudulent and incorrect listings? Why not list it as a "Collectible Classic"?

I am guessing you don't follow the auctions much, here is some help:

Current Search on Ebay shows the following:

ASM #300 Variant 1 completed 0 current

ASM #300 Chromium 9 completed (inc aforementioned)

Marvel Collectible Classics #1 0 completed 1 current

Marvel Collectible Classics also have the largest listings (including all Marvel Collectible Classics)

Wizard (opinions on this mag matter little, as it is used frequently or in consideration with the yearly OS) lists the books as a 300B Ent. Dist. chromium cvr $80.00

Raw books are selling in the $90-110 range. Slabbed books obviously sell for more.

So explain where all the fraudulent auctions are? Should everyone be listing the book as a :

Marvel Collectible Classics #1 Amazing Spiderman #300 Chromium Reprint CGC

I dont think there are enough characters allowed when listing!

And lastly...remember it is called a 'guide' not an end all for pricing. Cash talks...

Exactly, and hence the problem.

If an honest person buys this fraudulent "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant", finds out he was suckered, and then decides to resell it, he's also got to put up a fraudulent auction, or come clean, list it correctly as "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #1", and take a serious bath on the resale value.

You get it right, there is NO SUCH THING as an "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant". It DOES NOT EXIST, so people selling these fictitious books are FRAUDS.

Then let them know they are frauds! Send them an e-mail. I think we all know a few minutes will yield countless books on ebay where the discription is misleading. I agree with you this is not a variant, but regardless of the actions of 1 or 2 sellers every so often, it does diminish the value of this book.