• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam or is somebody just mistaken here?

72 posts in this topic

This book is very very limited. It is stunning to look at if you own one. For the ASM 300 fan and there are lots of us it is a must own. Joe I thought you were more enlightened about this book.

Hey, I have no problems with the book, but I do have an issue with fraudulent EBay auctions offering a comic that DOES NOT EXIST.

How can you sell an "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant" if such a book has never existed? Is that not the definition of fraud and misrepresentation?

Misrepresentation: the crime of misstating facts to obtain money, goods, or benefits of another to which the accused is not entitled. Example: a person says an article is geniune when it is a fake, copy or repreoduction.

Fraud: Intentional misrepresentation or concealment of information in order to deceive or mislead. It is illegal.

You tell me none of those fit with what's really going on here.

and I gave you this information on ebay purchases how many hours ago? insane.gif

If you actually found that rampant fraudulent auctions were going on at an 11-1 clip, why in the world are you disagreeing with me?

WTF?

and I gave you this information on ebay purchases how many hours ago? insane.gif

If you actually found that rampant fraudulent auctions were going on at an 11-1 clip, why in the world are you disagreeing with me?

WTF?

I gave you the same info, not that they were fraudulent auctions, but the actual auction information at the time of the post. There is another Marvel Collectible Classics for Spiderman #1 up now also. Your theory is looking more and more paper thin each time you post.

WTF indeed

I gave you the same info, not that they were fraudulent auctions, but the actual auction information at the time of the post.

Please point me to where you listed an 11-1 ratio similar to this info:

"JJ I just researched the issue of how the book is sold on ebay. Presently and in the past two weeks this particular book has been listed as "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM" or AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM VARIANT" a total of 11 times. It has been listed as Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man 1 (the correct overstreet reference) only 1 time."

Because I can't find it, only your usual little nit-picking BS.

Current Search on Ebay shows the following:

ASM #300 Variant 1 completed 0 current

ASM #300 Chromium 9 completed (inc aforementioned)

Marvel Collectible Classics #1 0 completed 1 current

Marvel Collectible Classics also have the largest listings (including all Marvel Collectible Classics)

One more time for the ninnies in the crowd. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

JJ I just researched the issue of how the book is sold on ebay. Presently and in the past two weeks this particular book has been listed as "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM" or AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM VARIANT" a total of 11 times. It has been listed as Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man 1 (the correct overstreet reference) only 1 time. It would seem to me that the titling the auction ASM 300 Chromium would imply that the book is Amazing Spider-Man #300 in a Chromium cover which it is not. Nor do any of the 11 auctions with this title mention REPRINT anywhere in the title either.

I gave you the same info, not that they were fraudulent auctions, but the actual auction information at the time of the post.

Please point me to where you listed an 11-1 ratio similar to this info:

"JJ I just researched the issue of how the book is sold on ebay. Presently and in the past two weeks this particular book has been listed as "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM" or AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM VARIANT" a total of 11 times. It has been listed as Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man 1 (the correct overstreet reference) only 1 time."

Because I can't find it, only your usual little nit-picking BS.

sign-funnypost.gif

who was the one who came on this thread nit picking the way it was listed? makepoint.gif

We are going to need a pitcher of beer after this thread is done headbang.gif

So in completed auctions, fraudulent listings of totally non-existent comics (there is no such thing as an ASM 300 Chromium or Variant) rank at 100%, right?

9 out of 9.

Thanks for proving my point. thumbsup2.gif

So in completed auctions, fraudulent listings of totally non-existent comics (there is no such thing as an ASM 300 Chromium or Variant) rank at 100%, right?

9 out of 9.

Thanks for proving my point. thumbsup2.gif

FACT:

12 times, I just went back and checked, you talk solely about ASM CHROMIUM VARIANT or this book being a VARIENT/VARIANT. Not either or. Dont be a revisionist, esp when it is all there for anyone to read.

If we were in a courtroom, you would have purjored yourself several times over.

I hate to keep repeating myself, but it's obvious you do not listen.

1) Open the comic in question

2) Look at the indicia on the front page

3) Write the title down

4) Open a REAL copy of ASM 300

5) Look at the indicia on the front page

6) Write the title down

7) Compare the two.

That should clear it up pretty quick.

For a more visual example of EBay fraud, can you spot the differences between these two titles:

1) Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-man #1

2) Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium

Look closely... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hint: One is real, and the other is fraud.

I mean to not understand something this basic means you're pretty freaking dense. screwy.gif

JOE

VARIANT

JOE

VARIANT

this is all you have been rambling on about! Go back and re-read the whole thread.

or maybe this will make it easier for you:

"VARIANT" -Joe_Collector

Nevermind, it's obvious that you're one of the "fraudulent sellers" and talking to you about ethics is just a waste of time.

P.S. Thanks to you, I will now dedicate myself to reporting each and every such fraudulent auction to EBay, and encourage my online cronies to do the same. In the very least, it should light a fire under someone's hass. grin.gif

Yeah you got me Joe Friday, for years I have had to live a life on the run as a 'fraudulent seller', but a message board and debate about a comic I have never owned finally did me in...Lamont, my heart...gasp

But seriously, I agree as I told you, contact ebay. It shouldn't be called a Variant. That to me is outright wrong, but we have gone on long enough about the way we think it should be labeled!

Now about that beer?

It shouldn't be called a Variant.

But what you fail to grasp is that it should not be sold as an "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium" or otherwise. There is no such thing, and that "title" is right up there with the Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster and Yeti.

You jump on the single word "variant" as if that's all that's wrong with the listings.

The book these bozos are selling is "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-man #1" and that is the ONLY ethical way of selling it.

The only reason that I can see someone listing it as Amazing Spiderman Chromium #300 CGC 9.8 (etc) is that listing it as: Marvel Collectible Classics Amazing Spiderman #300 Chromium CGC 9.8 would be to much for the ebay title? Just as listing Marvel Collectible Classics X-Men #1 Chromium fits within the title...but that is totally a guess, as I am not selling confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's how I would list this particular book (if I had one of course), accomplish the tie-in to ASM #300, and still accurately represent it:

MCC:SPIDER-MAN 1 CGC 9.8 R/ASM 300 CHROMIUM-C

This title would be 45 characters long, ebay limit is 49. This covers the correct title and issue (granted Marvel Collectible Classics is abbreviated, but we often abbreviate Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish, and Journey Into Mystery), the fact that it would be certified by CGC as 9.8 and that it is a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #300 with Chromium cover. There's even enough left over characters to designate White Pages (WP) if that were the case. I think this would be a fair way to represent it and identify it. Now I know I'm bored by spending serious thought by coming up with this! Christo_pull_hair.gif (and for those of you who know me, you'll realize this Graemlin is a complete fantasy in my case!)

Tell you what joe If they are so easy to find why don't you sell me 20 copies for 10 bucks each in 9.4 or better condition. If you can't then shut up and go away all you ever do is complain. I have never read a positive comment from you. Just so you know I am going to be selling a signed copy in about 2 weeks on ebay. Get off jon's case. Get on mine I will love to run you into the ground.

Not to stir the pot...

I stopped collecting in '92 and got back into it a few months ago. I have a couple of ASM 300s that I got "back in the day". When I saw the "ASM 300 Chromium edition" on ebay that is exactly what I thought it was, not a reprint. I remembered all the different version of McFarlane's Spiderman #1 had and so I thought that this was something along those lines where each store only got 1 of them.

I wasn't interested in buying one but I did look it up on comicspriceguide.com and it's listed there in the same way that they list what we would consider "real" variants.

I honestly didn't know the reality of the comic until this thread and if I liked collecting variants I could have purchased one not knowing the truth.

In somewhat defense of the sellers... whenever I sell something on ebay (I've never sold any comics) I always do a search of completed items to see how other sellers worded their titles. I think this phenomenon is just feeding off of itself. Is this really an ebay marketing scam? Does anyone ever see these at cons? Are they only $10 there? Are they in a box marked "M" or are they in the "A" section with the other ASMs?

Get on mine I will love to run you into the ground.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Now where did they hide that "shivering in fear" emoticon?

Just so you know I am going to be selling a signed copy in about 2 weeks on ebay.

Give me the number now so I can report you to EBay early. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif