• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam or is somebody just mistaken here?

72 posts in this topic

Hey JC, look at the COA. I thought that was a signed Marvel Collectible Classics: X-Men 2. I guess that's a fake/fraudulent COA confused-smiley-013.gif

If the companies who created the comics, ComicsPriceGuide.com, and Wizard all give you different info than the "proper" title (although CPG does have the correct listings as well, if you know where to look), how do you expect people to know? If you "know" what your comic is, why would you bother to look at the indicia? Maybe you've never even opened the comic (like the auction referenced above). I know I haven't looked at the indicia on my ASM 233. I assume the indicia says "Amazing Spider-Man Vol.1 No.233", but it could say "Stinky Skunkman vol.8 no.31" for all I know.

Hey JC, look at the COA. I thought that was a signed Marvel Collectible Classics: X-Men 2. I guess that's a fake/fraudulent COA confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, they screwed up, and used "Chromium" instead of "Collectible" but what's the big deal? Just someone making a small mistake, and they make typos all over the place.

If the COA *actually* stated "X-Men #141 - Chromium" or "X-Men #141 - Chromium Variant" then I could see your point, as that would be obviously fraudulent.

The key element in any EBay scam like this is to try and pass these 1998 reprints as chromium edition or variant copies of "ASM 300", "Spider-man 1" or "X-Men 141", which they obviously are not.

Hey joe why don't you come out from your mother's basement and live in the real world. Because in the real world people want these books. In the real world people do something about the hobby if they don't like it. they don't just sit around bltching about it and never doing anything. The truth is I am a businessman in adittion to being a collector. I have one of these in my personal collection and I am proud of it. I believe that the market bears what people will pay and they are paying big. I don't even know why you collect or come to these boards because all you do is [embarrassing lack of self control].

In the real world people do something about the hobby if they don't like it.

Exactly what I am doing here, and didn't I already tell you I was going to report all of these to EBay as fraudulent auctions, much the way "CGC it" or "CGC ready" auctions are now being cancelled?

Personally, I have no problems with the book or who buys it, I simply want sellers to be ethical and not try to pass it off fraudulently as a "CHROMIUM" OR (yes, OR) "VARIANT" edition of Amazing Spider-man 300, when it is clearly not.

It is a "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-man #1" printed in 1998, and that is what the seller is selling and the buyer is buying. Check the CGC label is you think I'm lying. Trying to pass it off as some Chromium or Variant edition of ASM 300 is pretty freaking low, and definitely against EBay rules.

There are TONS of reprints out there, some desirable and some not, but that is ALL they are.

In the real world people do something about the hobby if they don't like it.

Exactly what I am doing here, and didn't I already tell you I was going to report all of these to EBay as fraudulent auctions, much the way "CGC it" or "CGC ready" auctions are now being cancelled?

Personally, I have no problems with the book or who buys it, I simply want sellers to be ethical and not try to pass it off fraudulently as a "CHROMIUM" OR (yes, OR) "VARIANT" edition of Amazing Spider-man 300, when it is clearly not.

It is a "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-man #1" printed in 1998, and that is what the seller is selling and the buyer is buying. Check the CGC label is you think I'm lying. Trying to pass it off as some Chromium or Variant edition of ASM 300 is pretty freaking low, and definitely against EBay rules.

There are TONS of reprints out there, some desirable and some not, but that is ALL they are.

You are correct that it isn't a variant.

It IS however ASM 300 with a chromium cover.

I usually like reading your posts Joe but you are taking this one too personally.

It IS however ASM 300 with a chromium cover.

No it is NOT. Seriously man, do you even understand what we're talking about?

Do you think the Marvel Tales edition is ASM 300 with a MT cover? Do you think the DC Famous First Edition is a "Detective Comics 27 with an FF cover"? How about the Marvel Milestones, are they ""Insert Key Issue" with a Silver Cover"?

I'll buy you a clue for free, they are all REPRINTS, and ALL have totally different titles to help collectors tell the ORIGINALS from REPRINTS, hence the "Marvel Collectibles Classics" title right on the front cover, and on the indicia. Check it out for yourself.

If Marvel had intended these to be "ASM 300 Chromium" editions, they would have called them that. makepoint.gif

I usually like reading your posts Joe but you are taking this one too personally.

Maybe, but to state that openly listing fraudulent auctions is "perfectly okay" opens the door to just about anything. Misrepresentation is a serious deal, and not only illegal, but it will get your auction cancelled and could get you booted from EBay.

And to think these "ASM 300 Chromium" auctions are not fooliing anyone is ignoring the facts. Many newbs have come on with this exact same comment when told *exactly* what they bought:

I stopped collecting in '92 and got back into it a few months ago. I have a couple of ASM 300s that I got "back in the day". When I saw the "ASM 300 Chromium edition" on ebay that is exactly what I thought it was, not a reprint.

Maybe, but to state that openly listing fraudulent auctions is "perfectly okay" opens the door to just about anything. Misrepresentation is a serious deal, and not only illegal, but it will get your auction cancelled and could get you booted from EBay.

And to think these "ASM 300 Chromium" auctions are not fooliing anyone is ignoring the facts. Many newbs have come on with this exact same comment when told *exactly* what they bought:

I stopped collecting in '92 and got back into it a few months ago. I have a couple of ASM 300s that I got "back in the day". When I saw the "ASM 300 Chromium edition" on ebay that is exactly what I thought it was, not a reprint.

And so it begins ... one mans quest to have the world recognise these 9 comic books by their published titles ... tongue.gif

Seriously though Joe, there are dozens of REAL scams appearing everyday on eBay involving comic books. Im talking serious ones where the buyer receives nothing at all or a different book to what was advertised or what have you. Wouldn't your time be better spent reporting those auctions? Will you report JDuran1 for listing his copy of Spider-Man 1 right now on eBay as "Spider-Man 1 Chromium".

I honestly have no vested interest as i am not selling my book and at the same time i wouldn't mind picking up the other 8 books at a low ball price that "Marvel Collectable Classic" would attain.

It is a manufactured collectible, which I don't like.

It is a reprint.

I believe there is some level of disclosure a seller needs to provide to clarify this book was printed much later than was ASM 300. Not necessarily in the title, but certainly clearly in the item description.

It appears to me the majority of people buying this book know the deal and are not getting ripped off. For the minority of buyers who are, it's an appropriate lesson about spending hundreds of dollars on a curious/oddball modern book you haven't spent 15 min researching. But it's not necessarily an expensive lesson, given the book can probably be easily flipped to the (probably informed) underbidder.

It appears to me the majority of people buying this book know the deal and are not getting ripped off.

When I hear this argument, I think "if everyone knows the deal, then why aren't all the EBay listings for "Marvel Collectible Classic: Spider-man #1"?"

Then I wake up, smell the coffee and realize that the sellers are trying to hook the newbs into bidding on this fictitious, non-existent "Chromium Edition" of a hot Modern first appearance.

Otherwise, why list it incorrectly all the time?