• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider-Man Prices

129 posts in this topic

I haven't been tracking Ultimate Spidey prices for awhile, but I noticed in the

last couple of issues of Wizard that they are listing those books at nose-bleed

levels. $70 for issue #5??? Is Wizard smoking crack or are people really paying

that much for the earlier issues?

Gene

Slabbed copies sell for around that price for a 9.6. Some people are crack heads and pay close to that amount for "raw" copies. Go figure. I think the $70 figure for a raw copy is over priced tongue.gif Hey it's Wizard smirk.gif

USM is definitely the area to go if you want to fleece some crack-heads. The prices on raw issues are insane, and it seems that there are a huge group of speculators continually selling within their same group.

After looking over some recent sales, I'm beginning to wonder if any USM collectors (willing to pay $70 or more for a raw #5) exist anymore, and if these specs are turning the merry-go-round themselves.

I'd hate to be the last guy to get off that horse. grin.gif

The 5 is tougher to find **relatively speaking** and does sell for more than 4 and 6. DARTH would be the guy to ask about specific pricing.

Doc is right that the #5 is scarcer relative to 4 and 6 because of the Marvel no-reprint policy taking effect right about here and catching the dealers with their pants down, having grossly underordered this issue. You have collectors clamoring for the remaining hi grade copies out there. for the most part they are in the 9.2-9.4 range off the shelf, with the 9.6's and 9.8's coming straight from the case. The raised indentations immediately to the right of the staple areas are common in this issue and I believe will take your copy down a 0.2 notch. The 9.8's I've had were missing this flaw and the roller pinch on the right edge of the front cover...

I've followed this book up in price and raw, I've never sold it for more than $30, and these were my "flawed copies"...waaay back when it was fetching that much. At that point I realized grading it would be much better as I've received $85 - $135 for it at CGC 9.6.

I currently have one 9.8 copy. I flipped the rest all for a decent profit. I would but a CGC 9.6 for $75 now if I plan to hold it; $55 for flipping, but I'll never realize this as most folks hold out for higher.

Check this one out. What's up with this...

Somebody call President Bush, stat...apparently crack use is spiralling out of

control in this country again! $76 for a common book that just you can still find

on the shelf at most comic shops? Sheesh.

Gene

I can't see how these Ultimate Spider-Man issues are going to hold their value in a few years. Like anything else, the excitement of the series will wear down once the title gets to #75 or so (if it lasts that long). I understand people paying those prices if they just covet those issues and want them now, but I they are almost certainly wrong if they think those issues will hold their current value, long-term. The only thing that may help them is a long stream of Spider-Man film sequels that may prop up prices just a little.

Here's the deal on the Ultimate line so far:

Ultimates: Virtually worthless compared to cover price, unless you're selling CGC 9.8 copies for a slight profit.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up: Cancelled, back issues are unsellable.

Ultimate X-Men: Prices have plummeted from their previous highs and runs can be had for under-cover.

Ultimate Spider-man: The last bastion for the Ultimate Investor; prices are definitely falling, but they are still bringing a good return for specs like Darth. But for how long?

From the above analysis, I don't see how anyone could ever put any investment money into USM issues, as they're just begging to follow the rest into back issue oblivion.

Any bets on when USM crashes? I'd say sometime mid-next year, with prices really taking a dive in Jan-Feb 2003.

Any bets on when USM crashes? I'd say sometime mid-next year, with prices

really taking a dive in Jan-Feb 2003.

You never can tell when dealing with crack-heads, let alone Ultimate Crack-Heads...

all I know is that it is a metaphysical certainty that today's inflated values will not

be sustained in the coming years.

- Philosophical Metaphysical Gene

Ultimate Marvel Team Up was not cancelled. It was slotted/solicited for 16 issues and Bendis said something to that effect in an interview, that it was planned that way.

Ultimates: Feel free to rip on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=721285143

I know I can't convince you or Gene of this but, as with this above item and with that USM 25 CGC 9.8, there are collectors who must have them right away that are bidding these first ones posted up. The more that come out on Ebay, the lower it gets: supply and demand...but believe it or not, there is a deman for these hi-grades when they first come out. Why not wait? Well there is no guarantee that there will be more? Some of these issues are badly f'd from the beginning with printer flaws that there is no way they'll get higher than a 9.4. So why not drop the $$$ on a 9.8 that is available, if there is no guarantee that there will be more?

I haven't submitted my prescreen for USM 25 and up yet, but if I don't get any #25's back at CGC 9.8, then yeah, I'll be kicking myself for not winning this one. This goes the same for any number issue of USM at CGC 9.8. I let a USM 3 CGC 9.8 and USM 6 CGC 9.8 pass when it was fairly reasonable. Last time I bid on these I put in around $150 and lost!!! Not as the 2nd high bidder either...maybe this is what these collectors are trying to avoid.

Not everyone has patience. Criticize all you want, call them dumb insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, choose not to participate in this "CGC folly of chasing numbers" but such is human nature... grin.gif

Gene, if all these "crackhead" collectors can afford them and are holding them in their collections "for keeps", would it really matter if they "held their value"??? For the sake of all involved, they've got what they wanted or needed. The collectors filled a hole in their Ultimate collection and the dealers made good money from it?

Why is that so important? For the ones collecting and not speculating, paying $75 bucks for CGC 9.8 USM that they don't have is reasonable. If you have a CGC 9.8 USM 3 or 6 (whic I don't have yet) I'd gladly pay you $100 for each...please release your hoarded USMs this way wink.gif Thanks!

1) Ultimate MTU was cancelled due to low sales, but if Jemas and Bendis want to put a nice spin on it (no bad news in Ultimate-Land!), that's their business. You can bet if UMTU have been a red-hot-seller, it would have magically been "extended".

2) Read my comments, I say unsellable except for high-grade CGC freaks, who obviously have the patience of a stressed out hummingbird.

3) Raw prices on USM are falling through the floor and everyday on the BIN rack I see issue ranges of 10 or 12-up going for cover price or under. After the first 10 issues, this series is a dog, discounting the CGC whackos.

Trust me, this is not good news for the line, and other than the CGC 9.8 maniacs, virtually no one is buying and more and more raw books are coming out of the woodwork. It's pretty obvious that the party is coming to close, and those that hadn't CGC'd their 10-up copies are getting out big-time.

I actually wanted the USM fervor to keep up a while longer, since anything that keeps the money away from my Bronze books is good news to me. Sadly, all that USM money will be looking for a new home.

Now you can help me out by hyping something else and turning on the Modern-ites to the joys of.....