• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider-Man Prices

129 posts in this topic

Now you can help me out by hyping something else and turning on the Modern-ites to the joys of.....

how about the Marvel MAX line and how they are a revamp of anything from the Marvel bronze age? I can see it now...hype up the Max line and lead them to dig into what started it all back in the 70's...I'll wait for that MAX Marvel Monster line coming out with Werewolf and Dracula... wink.gif

While only 16 issues of UTU was solicited, there WAS several issues planned by Marvel with creative teams and characters scheduled to appear attached to those issues.

The workload for Brian, plus the fact that USM was going from 12 to at least 18 issues a year workload has much more to do with why these issues didnt see actual creation.

Many people are missing something as far as the Ultimate titles "crashing", and that is the POSSIBILITY of the entire MarvelUniverse being "Ultimized".

If so, and that is a BIG if, USM #1 could very well be seen as this era's UXM #94,

Eric

Many people are missing something as far as the Ultimate titles "crashing", and that is the POSSIBILITY of the entire MarvelUniverse being "Ultimized". If so, and that is a BIG if, USM #1 could very well be seen as this era's UXM #94

Now that's something the specs can grab onto and open the purse strings for. Keep buying those Ultimates!!

Now back to my regularly scheduled Bronze Buying. grin.gif

Sarcastic or not, I'll gladly accept the compliment. smile.gif Hype is as Hype does... wink.gif Thanks for the support!

It could be perceived/spun as "rare" if you consider all the little Spideymaniacs out there who want an Ultimate CGC 9.8 copy, but if you want the beat up regular, possible NM copy or below, then I could agree with CI, and this statement doesn't hold water in this scenario.

thanks Eric - I was looking for exactly this information regarding UMTU to come out. As CI points out, my memory isn't what it once was and I forget/too lazy to look up things before I pull them out from my arse... smile.gif

BTW, if you all didn't know the final book in the UMTU series is the Ultimates Spider-Man Special # 1, which is just awesome as it depicts art and writing from each creative team that worked on the UMTU series, over a span of 3-4 pages each and just cool to watch it mesh together...IMO

Now that's something the specs can grab onto and open the purse strings for. Keep buying those Ultimates!!

Now back to my regularly scheduled Bronze Buying.

Funny thing is CI, what Eric said, I had used in my auction for USM 1 CGC 9.6 white:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=722811329

You could be using this as the argument for the beginning of the Ultimate Age...(or Iron Age, acc to Mr. Silver Age, your favorite CBG icon tongue.gif)

And, btw, nothing's gonna be "regularly scheduled" about your Bronze buying once I hype up the Marvel MAX line and its ties to your preferred comic age (I have to admit I'm into Bronze Marvels as well, but not to the same degree as you or some here!) smile.gif

Look out CI, here come the unwashed masses...

You do that, and I'll list and relist a USM #1 NM with a BIN of $1.99. Then I'll continually buy it using a shill account and be sure to include the following text:

"Getting out of the USM market while I still have my shirt. These books are flooding the market and I count myself lucky to get back 1/2 cover price. Please someone buy this, as I have a crate of USM 1-10 sitting here and a maxxed out credit card!!"

Many people are missing something as far as the Ultimate titles "crashing", and that is the POSSIBILITY of the entire MarvelUniverse being "Ultimized". If so, and that is a BIG if, USM #1 could very well be seen as this era's UXM #94,

Sorry Eric, Jemas came out recently to say that they did consider it Ultimizing the entire line but decided against it when they began to see increased sales on some of the revamped regular Marvel titles like ASM and Hulk. He says they have an overall publishing plan that includes having different "lines" of product.

I forget where I read the interview, but it must have been at Newsarama or Comic Book Resources or another high-profile news site. Marvel.com probably has a link to it somewhere.

Ultimate line new issue sales are still pretty strong, despite what a Certain Individual says.

Marvel will be cancelling another batch of titles again soon though. Relaunching some (like Thunderbolts) and cancelling others entirely (Agent X? Soldier X?).

Kev

Thanks goodness that soldier X and Agent X are probably going away. I was getting tired of picking up UDON ...recent issue covers were looking like Gen 13 Manga mush...sometimes I'm in the mood for manga, like Marvel Mangaverse issues, other times I'm not feeling it

Dude, I totally admire what you do. The killer thing is, anyone could be selling those same books and making the money you are, cause they're not hard to find. And you're doing it the right way, a little hype, a little sales job, a little CGC money up front, no blatant lies or dishonesty, and you make money. I just saw in some other thread where you sold a DD 288 9.4 for 50 bucks. That's nuts. An absolute meaningless non-key that you felt would sell because of the cover. And it did. I probably have 10 of those ungraded that I couldn't give away.

I don't understand why Marvel reversed their strategy on the x-books and began to publish dozens of spin-off titles AGAIN.

Neither Deadpool or Cable interested me much at any time. And while the Cable revision was at least interesting in theory, Igor Kordey's art is so crude that I could not get past it enough to want to read the stories.

BTW I am thoroughly repulsed by MANGA-style art on mainstream Marvel books. It is a guaranteed way to keep me from buying their books. Putting Kia Asayama on an X-Men title pretty much ensures I won't be buying it. The art looks ugly to me.

Kev

Kev,

I agree that they shouldnt Ultimize the MU, but there have been too many rumors out there. Probably just to receive "feedback" from the readers thrown out by the heads of Marvel.

You have to admit though, as long as the current situation with continuity-ignorance, and the blatant bending over backwards to "hot" writers, they may "HAVE" to "ultimize".

I still see the first 7 and 13th issues of USM being the "solid" bunch that will have the best chance of maintaining their value. The Kingpin/ Big Man/ Enforcers/ Electro storyline was rather bland in comparison to the arc before and after it. The Goblin issues are VERY hot, but the supply of the 2nd Goblin arc is vastly huge in comparison to the 1st.

The Ultimates to me is contrived shock-junk & the Ult X-Men was good reading for the 1st 2 story arc IMO:)

Eric

Darth,

I must be the only one who didnt like the Special too much...Too disjointed and not too interesting except for the revelation concerning Peter's father. I gave it a slightly positive review only because of that - IMO of course:)

Eric

Well, I think what you are seeing is that the ordering has caught up with the demand (and perhaps even surpassed it).

New issue sales are strong, but stores have been ordering additional copies of these issues to meet customer demand as well as keep a healthy backstock due to Marvel's no reprinting policy.

So yeah, those issues (with the exception of USM 13) are going to be tough to sell at much over cover because everyone has them. That doesn't necessarily mean that stores won't continue to sell them as back issues, they just won't be selling them for crazy money.

And since so many people submit those books to CGC for prescreening there isn't going to be many crazy prices reached on those later issues for a LONG time... if ever.

BUT interest is high for the Ultimates. I did get asked by a few different people for early issues at the Toronto show in August, and I've been told that it has been selling out as a back issue in some stores. So you might see some slight (but not crazy) increases on those back issue prices over the next few months IF they can get the title out on a regular basis.

Kev