• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC VS. OVERSTREET

46 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me why Overtreet's grading guide seems to take replacing staples as not that big of a deal on lower than NM comics, yet CGC seems to feel this is akin to complete fraud? How do you seasoned veterans feel about this? Would you be disheartened to learn one of your prized comics had its staples replaced?893frustrated.gif

I think the bigger issue is that staple replacement is an easy indicator of restoration as many forms of resto work require the book to taken apart. It's big ol' resto red flag 893naughty-thumb.gif

A POX on the fiendish perpetraitor and his ancestors, who even THINKS about changing the staples on a comic. May he die a slow, agonizing, lingering death befitting his heinous crime against man, country and God and be cast into Comic restoration Hell, subjected to the same type of torment he imposed on that comic and the comic community at large!! rantpost.gif

A POX on the fiendish perpetraitor and his ancestors, who even THINKS about changing the staples on a comic. May he die a slow, agonizing, lingering death befitting his heinous crime against man, country and God and be cast into Comic restoration Hell, subjected to the same type of torment he imposed on that comic and the comic community at large!! rantpost.gif
blush.gif

page #164 2003 Overstreet grading guide:

"Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. Mint books must have original staples." What does this mean? Why did CGC give one of my books the purple kiss of death when all they could find was a broken staple had been replaced. discuss.

Uhhhmm ok makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

blush.gif

page #164 2003 Overstreet grading guide:

"Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. Mint books must have original staples." What does this mean? Why did CGC give one of my books the purple kiss of death when all they could find was a broken staple had been replaced. discuss.

Ask the grader

Replacement of the staples is restoration in that something has been ADDED to the book that was not there at production.

I agree with that. It IS a form of restoration. However, how a "printer's proof" cover can be married to interior pages to yield a "qualified" while staples replaced yield restoration is beyond me.

However, how a "printer's proof" cover can be married to interior pages to yield a "qualified" while staples replaced yield restoration is beyond me.

I don't think such a book should be getting a QuaIified grade.I would consider a married cover to be restoration also, based on the principle of something added to the book post-production.

I guess I am not communicating my question. On page 198 of the grading guide, Overstreet describes a VF comic book. Not a restored VF comic book, but a VF comic book. " Any staple can be replaced with vintage (of the era)." Why would they say this if replacing staples was restoration? " Mint books must have original staples".... doesn't this mean the other grades don't???

Think I saw a Heritage auction comic that had "staples cleaned" noted as resto purple label. Seems like the comic was dismantled, original staples cleaned (with steel wool?) then reinserted. 893naughty-thumb.gif

staples WERE there at production. color touch and trimming weren't.

If the staples were replaced, even with staples from the same period (or even the same issue from another book), they are not the ones the book hit the newsstand with. If the staples were cleaned, they had to be bent, pulled out of the book, cleaned, reinserted and then bent back. Again a process that leaves the staples modified from the original and also can add minute (and sometimes, regrettably, not so minute) extra slight tears in the interior paper.

1 of the 10 Commandments handed down by Cgc is that:

If thou should dismantle thine original sacred comic testament, then thou shalt receive the Purple scar upon thine forehead (translation = top label). 893naughty-thumb.gif

I guess I am not communicating my question. On page 198 of the grading guide, Overstreet describes a VF comic book. Not a restored VF comic book, but a VF comic book. " Any staple can be replaced with vintage (of the era)." Why would they say this if replacing staples was restoration? " Mint books must have original staples".... doesn't this mean the other grades don't???

Ahhh - ok! I don;t have the grading guide yet (will in a week or so) but Overstreet standards allow something permitted in a higher grade in all lower gardes. So yes, if a VF can have staples replaced then all grades below can as well.

As far as why they would say that? Hard to say. The definition of and perception of what comprises restoration is really being tested with CGC's arrival. CGC has their standards and OS has theirs. At no point has either said they share the same standards, so these buggy questions will continue to bug us!