• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spikenector said:

I'm more of a film collector than a comic guy, some samples of my taste in movies ranging from art films to forgotten video rental gems, no Walmart fillers here!!!

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_7086.JPG

I love movies and have always had a home video library since VHS

Until recently, I’ve never really thought of my movies as a collection. 

But in the last 5 years or so I’ve really tried to limit myself on buying “mainstream” stuff because, frankly, it seems like almost everybody seems to have those movies and now they’re endlessly streaming. 

I’ve been focusing more on buying movies from boutique labels like Criterion, Shout, Olive, etc or even Warner Archives which seem to have a more limited pressing and not something you’re going to see at Walmart.  

Lately, I’ve really been into Val Lewton movies, can’t wait for I Walked With a Zombie to come out on Blu-ray. 

Edited by Number 6

I’ve posted this before in a previous similar thread but will post it here. 

My focus in the last couple of years has shifted a bit away from comics and more towards collecting first edition books. 

Mostly science fiction and books that were made into films I like (I have to like the book version as well so Jaws is out). 

To begin with, I chose John Wyndham as the one author I would try to collect all of his first editions. I don’t have all of them yet but have reached a point where I feel I can branch out to other titles. 

B2D04CD2-AE1C-4218-A528-4EF7C7064C7C.jpeg

Since I haven’t been “stylin’ and profilin” for a few years now, my shoe collection is sitting in a storage unit but here’s some pics I managed to find from when I was still “breaking necks” (a term used for causing others to turn their heads to catch a glimpse of your footwear). My goal at the time was to have a different pair to rock for every day of the year....I came pretty close :banana:

5C655AD8-7434-43F6-8A40-B7BD4C031A29.jpeg

9215545B-43DA-474A-A66E-83F207B60358.jpeg

DCE432C1-1900-4E67-9FBA-FD4B8168FA26.jpeg

B7142EB0-5E90-4D9B-9269-02B2FC3B2012.jpeg

B9D6691A-5716-4899-BE92-4F647AC96A3F.jpeg

56701948-D5F1-4C62-A353-0C51CF4ABAD8.jpeg

85FF4F40-5917-41AE-8C41-58D2587A5646.jpeg

91196A22-2908-42A9-BB10-93B6F250C68F.jpeg

6E457BDA-14A5-4767-A77A-C8861896A716.jpeg

F26A3495-B7E4-4E84-B600-187F9B76440F.jpeg

3 hours ago, pmWolf said:

Well, here's my basement:

WOW your basement has more machines than the pinball arcade did back in my teen years ....

do you have any Bally machines from the late 70's  ?? back in the day me and my buds knew a trick to use on Bally's ..

you would take a nickel and slowly drop it into the coin slot , eventually sometimes it would stick and not drop through ... when it did stick then you dropped two pennies in

behind it and the second penny would give you two credits !!! 

3 hours ago, pmWolf said:

Well, here's my basement:

WOW your basement has more machines than the pinball arcade did back in my teen years ....

do you have any Bally machines from the late 70's  ?? back in the day me and my buds knew a trick to use on Bally's ..

you would take a nickel and slowly drop it into the coin slot , eventually sometimes it would stick and not drop through ... when it did stick then you dropped two pennies in

15 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Since I haven’t been “stylin’ and profilin” for a few years now, my shoe collection is sitting in a storage unit but here’s some pics I managed to find from when I was still “breaking necks” (a term used for causing others to turn their heads to catch a glimpse of your footwear). My goal at the time was to have a different pair to rock for every day of the year....I came pretty close :banana:

5C655AD8-7434-43F6-8A40-B7BD4C031A29.jpeg

9215545B-43DA-474A-A66E-83F207B60358.jpeg

DCE432C1-1900-4E67-9FBA-FD4B8168FA26.jpeg

B7142EB0-5E90-4D9B-9269-02B2FC3B2012.jpeg

B9D6691A-5716-4899-BE92-4F647AC96A3F.jpeg

56701948-D5F1-4C62-A353-0C51CF4ABAD8.jpeg

85FF4F40-5917-41AE-8C41-58D2587A5646.jpeg

91196A22-2908-42A9-BB10-93B6F250C68F.jpeg

6E457BDA-14A5-4767-A77A-C8861896A716.jpeg

F26A3495-B7E4-4E84-B600-187F9B76440F.jpeg

Those Rebooks are The Sh*t!!!  I had one pair back in the day...still my favorite sneaks I think I've ever had...nice collection man!

35 minutes ago, Comical Situations said:

Those Rebooks are The Sh*t!!!  I had one pair back in the day...still my favorite sneaks I think I've ever had...nice collection man!

I was a big fan of Sean Kemp back in his Supersonic days so when they were retroed I had to get them, especially all the new color ways and the 2 exclusives that I’ve still never worn

Edited by B2D327

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Ha! That's only one half of the basement. 

Full tour here: 

And, while I do have some older Bally's, that isn't really my collecting focus. Also, almost all of my games are on free play, so keep your nickels at home. = )

My wife, god bless her, is a saint. She let me double the size of our house AND put in an elevator. (And, has been nothing but supportive with this and the comic collection).

29 minutes ago, pmWolf said:

Ha! That's only one half of the basement. 

Full tour here: 

And, while I do have some older Bally's, that isn't really my collecting focus. Also, almost all of my games are on free play, so keep your nickels at home. = )

My wife, god bless her, is a saint. She let me double the size of our house AND put in an elevator. (And, has been nothing but supportive with this and the comic collection).

that is awesome (worship) which machine is the easiest and which one hardest for you in your collection ? back in my teens there was some machines that i could rack up free games with ease! even getting up to the then maximum of 25 free games !! we would do that on our favorites and then sell the machine to someone in the arcade for a dollar ! which was a great deal for both of us

8 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I love movies and have always had a home video library since VHS

Until recently, I’ve never really thought of my movies as a collection. 

But in the last 5 years or so I’ve really tried to limit myself on buying “mainstream” stuff because, frankly, it seems like almost everybody seems to have those movies and now they’re endlessly streaming. 

I’ve been focusing more on buying movies from boutique labels like Criterion, Shout, Olive, etc or even Warner Archives which seem to have a more limited pressing and not something you’re going to see at Walmart.  

Lately, I’ve really been into Val Lewton movies, can’t wait for I Walked With a Zombie to come out on Blu-ray. 

My favorite times of the year are July and November when Criterion's are 50% off at Barnes N Noble, currently I'm about 90% in having the collection up to date, the spine numbers are like comic book issues, some are worth more than others! For example spine number 64 which is the Third Man on blu ray can easily fetch over a $100 or the box set of Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales which is #342 soared up over $250! Speaking of Warner Archives, I'm working on completing my seasons of Perfect Strangers on DVD!

27 minutes ago, Spikenector said:

First pressing of Salo on DVD with the white inner ring and the current blu ray edition, can't believe that Salo dvd used to rack in hundreds of dollars online during the early 2000s!

IMG_7087.JPG

Nice!  I didn’t know it was rereleased.  At one point, a friend of mine had the complete Criterion collection, up until about mid 2010.  He had the white ring Salo.  We watched it about 2006.  He said it was only the second time he was going to watch it, kind of nervously laughing as he said it.  That flick is messed up.  I could be remembering incorrectly but didn’t the director get murdered because he made the film?

He started to sell off the collection at some point and I’m pretty sure he got about 5 hundo for it.  

Edited by DocHoppus182
Forgot something.

11 hours ago, october said:

Video games....or at least I used to. In the process of selling off my Gamecube collection. PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn and DS will probably follow. Neo Geo is already gone. With two kids I just don't have the time to play any of it, and what time I do have usually goes to comics, old computer games, or XBONE stuff. 

Can't bring myself to sell the NES, SNES and Genesis collections though. Here's an old pic of some of it before it all went into storage. 

image.png.1ad332e6b985702ff6d605549712d962.png

You have the NES Castlevania turned face front as if to accentuate its importance.  I must say I agree!

3 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

You have the NES Castlevania turned face front as if to accentuate its importance.  I must say I agree!

I think I played that firstly on a gameboy non color in '88 or '89, it blew my filkin mind 

filkin

Proper noun
  1. A surname.
Origin

From a medieval diminutive of the given name Philip.

I have around 5000 CD's of high quality heavy metal albums.  It is what I collected before I got back into comics several years ago.  Most are first presses from the 80's and early 90's which are pretty valuable.  While I have the original cases and booklets, some of the discs have a few scratches because I wasn't buying them with the mindset of keeping them in mint condition.  I really did listen to all those things!  Luckily CD collectors are not quite as picky as comic collectors if I ever decide to sell.

My nicest ones are first presses of a lot of obscure 90's Scandinavian extreme metal.  These I paid good money for because they were already collectible by the time I got them, thus I took really good care of them. Talk about some low print runs.  Many of those were limited to a 1000 copies or less.  There is definitely not the same demand for those as there are for key comics, but when the albums pop up for sale they are snatched up really quick if not priced too extremely high.