• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the next phase?

26 posts in this topic

http://www.comicbookconventions.com/forum/index.php?topic=3011.0

So, Adam Hughes has decided that dealers won't be allowed to get sketches from now on. I can see his issue on this, and I understand. I can't say I like it much, but I understand. Too many people are taking advantage of artists and just turning around and selling sketches instead of keeping them.

Do you think this will lead other artists to start doing the same? We all know that OA is starting to become more popular, and selling for a lot of money (no, I'm not turning into Krazy Kat). So, what are artists supposed to do? I know some, like Darwyn Cooke, won't do a sketch unless he personalizes it.

Maybe they should all start charging? Could this signal changes in the convention industry? Let me know what you think.

I heard the whole deal from Allison at megacon. I think it's a good idea but she still wouldn't put me on the list for the third con in a row and i'm just a regular joe. Since I can never get a hughes sketch, i could care less what her policy is since she runs the show.

So then the dealers just get a regular admission to get sketches, or they get someone to get it for them. Either way it won't be stopped.

This is not the solution.

So then the dealers just get a regular admission to get sketches, or they get someone to get it for them. Either way it won't be stopped.

I was at their table two hours after the show started. Took that long in line, heard her do the whole complaining thing and how she sets up the list. I asked if i could be added (figured my 15 minutes of listening to her rant would be enough) and she said no, it was 2 hours into the show. I told her I couldn't help the darn lines. I like Adam as he's always nice but that Allison is a [embarrassing lack of self control].

So, Adam Hughes has decided that dealers won't be allowed to get sketches from now on. I can see his issue on this, and I understand. I can't say I like it much, but I understand. Too many people are taking advantage of artists and just turning around and selling sketches instead of keeping them.

Do you think this will lead other artists to start doing the same? We all know that OA is starting to become more popular, and selling for a lot of money (no, I'm not turning into Krazy Kat). So, what are artists supposed to do? I know some, like Darwyn Cooke, won't do a sketch unless he personalizes it.

Maybe they should all start charging? Could this signal changes in the convention industry? Let me know what you think.

I think it is inevitable that all marketable artists will end up charging for con sketches. If they don't already... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree. I think this could turn into a worse situation if artists take drastic measures.

I think it is inevitable that all marketable artists will end up charging for con sketches. If they don't already... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most do, some will do a free quickie headshot in a sketchbook but if you want art, you pay. I've noticed a huge change in the last 5 years towards this. I don't mind paying for someones time if it's reasonable. Paging Ethan Van Sciver, where were you Sunday? Paging Ethan....

The same thing has happened to many celebrities that used to sign "extras" freely at booksignings and events... they all stopped signing extras or charge now. The Internet has made a dealer out of EVERYONE.

The same thing has happened to many celebrities that used to sign "extras" freely at booksignings and events... they all stopped signing extras or charge now. The Internet has made a dealer out of EVERYONE.

I guess the eventual progression for an artist that does conventions is:

free sketches - pay for sketches - no longer does sketches 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

free sketches - pay for sketches - no longer does sketches 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As an artist of a sort, I can see why they would want to get paid for their time.

While many do it as a favor to loyal fans, I am not shocked that many want to get paid for something that is not staying with the person it was drawn for. What is also not shocking is people abusing the system...imagine that...there are people wanting to make money off others. Go figure.

Sketch books seem the way to go. Unless of course a person sells the entire sketch book.

Back when I bought, (and paid alot extra for) N. Adams to do Batman sketch's in my Illustrated Batman books. I thought it was alot of money to pay for a sketch in a book, since he no longer does sketches for free I had to either pay, or live without it. I am very glad I did. To have a Batman headshot drawn by the guy who re invented Batman was worth the money.

Ze-

As an artist of a sort, I can see why they would want to get paid for their time.

While many do it as a favor to loyal fans, I am not shocked that many want to get paid for something that is not staying with the person it was drawn for. What is also not shocking is people abusing the system...imagine that...there are people wanting to make money off others. Go figure.

Sketch books seem the way to go. Unless of course a person sells the entire sketch book.

Back when I bought, (and paid alot extra for) N. Adams to do Batman sketch's in my Illustrated Batman books. I thought it was alot of money to pay for a sketch in a book, since he no longer does sketches for free I had to either pay, or live without it. I am very glad I did. To have a Batman headshot drawn by the guy who re invented Batman was worth the money.

Ze-

I see some of your talented handiwork in the avatar tongue.gif

BTW, I agree with limiting or charging for sketches...there's a line up of guys taking up the space for the freebies so they can charge for them later. It does suck.

I know for a fact that Jim Lee won't do headsketches on books because he's seen his work sold. I'm not here to debate whether it is his right or not to refuse to do headsketches, just that he won't do it for Joe-fan anymore. In this case, it's my loss. The sad truth is, out of the many, many collectors lining up for signatures, sketches, etc., it just takes a few individuals to ruin it for the rest of us. I'm actually happy about creators who charge for their sketches or autographs. At least that means that they're still available. But what about those who won't even make themselves available? Our loss, I guess.

I see some of your talented handiwork in the avatar tongue.gif

I am a glass artist, of a sort. My avatar was drawn by a fellow boardie not me, and if you dont know who by now,. I aint tellin!

sumo.gif

Ze-

I was at the Heroes Con a couple of years ago and finally got to meet Sal Buscema. What a super nice guy. After waiting in line for a quite a while, he did a sketch for me and personalized it (I have it framed on my wall). The next couple of days, I punched in "Buscema Sketch" on ebay search and sure enough, there were a few of the sketches he did for people. One, had the part cut out where he personalized it to somebody. Can't say I blame the artists when they see stuff like this going on.

I remember a friend running into Kirby at San Diego con and Kirby wouldn't sign his beat up FF1. He was pretty pissed, but when I asked him if he would still have sold the book he said "yes, but I could have gotten more for it". I don't blame them at all. I would be a little pissed to see the work I gave to the fan that was inspired by my work listed on Ebay.

It kind of sucks though. I am a dealer and I am going to be at a show that hughes will be attending. I am willing to pay for a piece. But not letting any dealers get one? I may be a dealer but I am still a fan. I want to add a piece to my collection. Apparently this will never happen. Too bad because I was willing to pay just like everyone else. If you don't like the way the show crowds are don't set up.

I like Adam as he's always nice but that Allison is a [embarrassing lack of self control].

I've never met her, but she sure seeems that way just going off some of her posts on the comicart list. She has it set up now so that she can award the commission slots to whoever jumps through the most hoops for her. "No dealers"..." Nobody before the show actually starts"..."Won't necassarily be the first 15 fans in line" There comes a point when it's just too much of a hassle to even try. It is fun to listen to the art list kiss her , hoping to be one of the chosen ones.

On a side note, I met Mike Mignola a few years back at a small Con. I was amazed he was attending but the promoter said he paid for Mignola & a few of his buddies to come down & Mignola agreed. My son was just getting interested in original art so I decided to take him down for an early 16th birthday present. Anyway, I drive for 4 hours to get there early, end up around 4th in line. he's not doing sketches but has brought some nice pre drawn work to sell. 2 of the 3 guys in front of me are buying art & he's limiting them to 2 pieces per person. That's cool as I couldn't really afford anymore. Me & my son get up & I get 2 pieces & pay. My son starts asking me about pieces & Mignola said limit was 2. We tried to explain to him for a few minutes that we are both collectors but he said we could only get 2 between us. My son was somewhat embarressed & we wandered around the show for another hour or 2 buying some comics & art from another dealer. As we were getting ready to leave we passed Mignola's table & he mentioned if we wanted to hang around to the end of the show he might be willing to sell us another piece. I told him it wasn't necassary as my son had found stuff to spend his cash on. Besides, I said, we bought the art because we were fans, that wasn't the case any longer. Haven't bought a Mignola book since. Sometimes it just isn't worth jumping through these guys hoops.

I'm not here to debate whether it is his right or not to refuse to do headsketches

Good thing, because anyone that says it's not his right to refuse is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

i was surprised that any of them, except guys trying to break in the business, did free sketches. autographs are another story as i'm not so certain that even adds to value without major authentication.

autographs are another story as i'm not so certain that even adds to value without major authentication.

From what I've seen, it doesn't (for the most part). I think you lose more potential buyers than you gain by getting something autographed.