• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the next phase?

26 posts in this topic

autographs are another story as i'm not so certain that even adds to value without major authentication.

From what I've seen, it doesn't (for the most part). I think you lose more potential buyers than you gain by getting something autographed.

893naughty-thumb.gif Don't make me post Signature Series numbers. sumo.gif

I was referring to the "without major authentication" part. On raw books, without authentication (which can easily be faked - how hard is it to create a COA these days?), I think you lose more buyers. A lot of people don't like autographs on their books and won't even buy the book, much less pay a premium for it.

Does/did Hughes charge for these sketches or are these freebies he does for the fans? If he charges, then i don't see why a dealer's money is bad (unless the resale is much higher and a dealer is only getting one to resell). Otherwise I think it's a cool thing that Adam is giving priority to his fans.

On a side note, I met Mike Mignola a few years back at a small Con. I was amazed he was attending but the promoter said he paid for Mignola & a few of his buddies to come down & Mignola agreed. My son was just getting interested in original art so I decided to take him down for an early 16th birthday present. Anyway, I drive for 4 hours to get there early, end up around 4th in line. he's not doing sketches but has brought some nice pre drawn work to sell. 2 of the 3 guys in front of me are buying art & he's limiting them to 2 pieces per person. That's cool as I couldn't really afford anymore. Me & my son get up & I get 2 pieces & pay. My son starts asking me about pieces & Mignola said limit was 2. We tried to explain to him for a few minutes that we are both collectors but he said we could only get 2 between us. My son was somewhat embarressed & we wandered around the show for another hour or 2 buying some comics & art from another dealer. As we were getting ready to leave we passed Mignola's table & he mentioned if we wanted to hang around to the end of the show he might be willing to sell us another piece. I told him it wasn't necassary as my son had found stuff to spend his cash on. Besides, I said, we bought the art because we were fans, that wasn't the case any longer. Haven't bought a Mignola book since. Sometimes it just isn't worth jumping through these guys hoops.

I don't see anything wrong with a 2 piece limit during a show. That prevents all of his art from selling to just a few people (dealers?) before everyone has a chance to purchase a piece. What if there wasn't any limit and the 2 or 3 guys before you bought all the good pieces? You'd probably wish there was a limit then. Or what about the guys that came after you, only to find that you and your son hogged a bunch of pieces? Gotta say, your story just makes me respect Mike all the more.

I was referring to the "without major authentication" part. On raw books, without authentication (which can easily be faked - how hard is it to create a COA these days?), I think you lose more buyers. A lot of people don't like autographs on their books and won't even buy the book, much less pay a premium for it.

OK. sorry.gifflowerred.gif

On a side note, I met Mike Mignola a few years back at a small Con. I was amazed he was attending but the promoter said he paid for Mignola & a few of his buddies to come down & Mignola agreed. My son was just getting interested in original art so I decided to take him down for an early 16th birthday present. Anyway, I drive for 4 hours to get there early, end up around 4th in line. he's not doing sketches but has brought some nice pre drawn work to sell. 2 of the 3 guys in front of me are buying art & he's limiting them to 2 pieces per person. That's cool as I couldn't really afford anymore. Me & my son get up & I get 2 pieces & pay. My son starts asking me about pieces & Mignola said limit was 2. We tried to explain to him for a few minutes that we are both collectors but he said we could only get 2 between us. My son was somewhat embarressed & we wandered around the show for another hour or 2 buying some comics & art from another dealer. As we were getting ready to leave we passed Mignola's table & he mentioned if we wanted to hang around to the end of the show he might be willing to sell us another piece. I told him it wasn't necassary as my son had found stuff to spend his cash on. Besides, I said, we bought the art because we were fans, that wasn't the case any longer. Haven't bought a Mignola book since. Sometimes it just isn't worth jumping through these guys hoops.

I don't see anything wrong with a 2 piece limit during a show. That prevents all of his art from selling to just a few people (dealers?) before everyone has a chance to purchase a piece. What if there wasn't any limit and the 2 or 3 guys before you bought all the good pieces? You'd probably wish there was a limit then. Or what about the guys that came after you, only to find that you and your son hogged a bunch of pieces? Gotta say, your story just makes me respect Mike all the more.

I think his point was that if it was 2 per person, then he should be able to buy 2 pieces, and his son should be able to buy 2 pieces.