• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-screening CGC books

12 posts in this topic

Hello,I was wondering if any of you guys have tried the pre-screening deal with CGC? I have recently got the chance to go through a collection of about 60,000 books that were mostly backstock from a store that closed down. I bought about 40 long boxes worth and pulled roughly 200-300 issues that are high grade. Most of the issues that I pulled to the side were packed in Silver age bags 4-7 issues in each bag.It looked like these people that ordered the stuff,just took stuff right out of the Diamond box and stored them.The issues in the middle of the packs were really nice. The collection of high grade stuff is mainly 1985-1991. Among many keys from the period,atleast are half books book raw at $3-$5,but they are all,to me,9.8 or better candidates.

I was curious to find out how some of you may have done with sending in bulk for prescreening. thanks! Joey

Remember CGC charges a fee on any books that do not meet the pre-screening level. I have sent hundreds of books in and require 9.6 or better. Saves you some money but make sure you have very strong candidates. Alot of the books I send in that I am sure fit 9.6-9.8 are rejected. You also have to consider shipping cost to and from CGC for that many books. From experience I can tell you alot of 9.8 books are not fetching the cost of grading them, so make sure the ones you send in have enough key books and hot titles to offset the books you might not break even on.

Below is a quote from Gemma who is on the staff at CGC:

For the Modern tier we require at least 100 comics and all other tiers, at least 50 comics. You specify one minimum grade for the entire batch. In approximately a month they will be screened for that grade; those that meet or exceed it will be put in the specified tier at its respective turnaround time and those that are rejected will be returned at a nominal fee per comic (plus shipping and insurance). The fees are as follows: Modern $3 per reject, Economy $ 5 per reject, and Standard $7 per reject . We ask that all comics be in a mylar with a backing board and clearly listed on an invoice.

Any batman books in there?

A couple #426's & 429's..and a couple Return of the Dark Knights. We'll see. Hopefully it's gonna be worth it!

I want the 426 and 429 if they come back 9.8. I wish you the best of Luck with all of your books. I have about 500 books i am ready to send in. I just want to see what my percentage will be as far as 9.4 and up. I figure that is a good amount to start with.

Today, I got the last of the books I sent in last month. I sent in 360 books...336 of which all went as pre-screens,mostly going for 9.8's or better. Well,unfortunately,no 10's...and only (1) 9.9 (Wolverine #16,1988 series)....they kicked back 52 books...and out of the rest I pulled (61) 9.6's,and (237) 9.8's!! I knew these books were clean,and was sure hoping for a couple top grader's, but CGC did me right! I've got a list of everything priced out,if anybody's interested,email me @ comikings@aol.com ...or keep an eye on my Ebay listings...just do a search on "Comic Kings CGC" and that should pull up everything thats on at the time. thanks! Joey

Today, I got the last of the books I sent in last month. I sent in 360 books...336 of which all went as pre-screens,mostly going for 9.8's or better. Well,unfortunately,no 10's...and only (1) 9.9 (Wolverine #16,1988 series)....they kicked back 52 books...and out of the rest I pulled (61) 9.6's,and (237) 9.8's!! I knew these books were clean,and was sure hoping for a couple top grader's, but CGC did me right! I've got a list of everything priced out,if anybody's interested,email me @ comikings@aol.com ...or keep an eye on my Ebay listings...just do a search on "Comic Kings CGC" and that should pull up everything thats on at the time. thanks! Joey

Nice. So out of 360 pre-screens, 52 were kicked back leaving leaving 308 books. One was a 9.9 leaving 307. You achieved 9.6 and up on 298 of them. What happened to the other 9?

Or was it 336 pre-screens, 52 kicked back leaving 284. 1 was 9.9 leaving 283. (And the math is wrong for the other 298)

Anyway, do you happen to know what kicked the other books out of contention? Was there a pattern to the ones that didn't make it? (That's the part I'm really interested in, thanks!)

you're right about that math...the numbers are off...I have to reinventory it....the total amount sent to prescreen is correct...some books I had duplicates on and It looks like I added more to the totals than there actually were....I had 3 lists going on this and looks like I confused myself! As for the ones that didn't make it...I haven't really looked that hard at them...they were mostly the 9.8 books,and you know how it is,it's hard to tell a 9.6 from a 9.8,9.9,or 10.0 sometimes. There were a few books that I had that there were dupes on and they all looked gem and was hoping atleast 1 would hit a super high grade,but they all came back 9.8's and I called and talked to one of the guys down at CGC,and asked about the graders notes...he told me that the graders notes were mainly for books that were,what it sounded like to me,9.6 or 9.4 and lower. I wasn't pissed off,as I was happy I got so many good books back graded,I was curious as what may have held some of these books back from going higher. He just said that whoever graded the books evidently saw something that held it back. I've had (3) 10.0's in the past and all 3 were post 2000 books with glossy pages.I'm figuring it had to do with the inside pages on this recent submission,as nearly all of the books have the newsprint pages,that had to have kept them from going higher. thanks! Joey