• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,321 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Updated group shot of some of my favorite books. 

IMG_2577.JPG

That is a great group shot and makes me wonder if the dyes used in the GA were different than now.  The yellow covers on Looney Tunes, Hit,  and Star Spangled just leap of the page!

All these books were part of an OO collection I got years ago. I've scanned a bunch of them individually, and some I recently pulled out of the boxes that I brought them home. The books were well read and many of them were lower grade copies so naturally I culled the better ones in stages and left the marginal stuff in the boxes. It's always fun to go diving into your own boxes of unsorted stuff that you almost forgot about!

p.s. Whenever I see a group shot, I almost always pick my favorites as if I was allowed to take home one per row, or one of four as in the old Overstreet color sections where I honed my skills at this game as a kid. So if you see anything interesting, tell us which one(s) you would pick and why.  hm

45251966.ca693b01.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

9 hours ago, PopKulture said:

All these books were part of an OO collection I got years ago. I've scanned a bunch of them individually, and some I recently pulled out of the boxes that I brought them home. The books were well read and many of them were lower grade copies so naturally I culled the better ones in stages and left the marginal stuff in the boxes. It's always fun to go diving into your own boxes of unsorted stuff that you almost forgot about!

p.s. Whenever I see a group shot, I almost always pick my favorites as if I was allowed to take home one per row, or one of four as in the old Overstreet color sections where I honed my skills at this game as a kid. So if you see anything interesting, tell us which one(s) you would pick and why.  hm

Nice! Eclectic mix. The Atlas romance books catch my eye here,  but all are cool. Including the Christmas cover 

On August 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM, PopKulture said:

I loved doing that as a kid too! I'll play.

If you could magically send me a duplicate of one from each row....the Suspense cover from the top row jumps out at me, Gotta go bondage in the center, and from the bottom I'll say Super Magician because I have none and they always look so cool when I see them. Lots of underrated Street and Smith, IMHO. But I am also tempted to say Monster 1 because it looks like an upgrade over my rough copy.

30 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

If you could magically send me a duplicate of one from each row....the Suspense cover from the top row jumps out at me, Gotta go bondage in the center, and from the bottom I'll say Super Magician because I have none and they always look so cool when I see them. Lots of underrated Street and Smith, IMHO. But I am also tempted to say Monster 1 because it looks like an upgrade over my rough copy.

Did you do it with the Overstreets? The early editions had the choicest books, while the later ones started to include more obscure gold and eventually more silver and bronze. OS 6 starts off with Action 1, Adventure 61, All-American 16 and All-Star 4. How's THAT for a line-up?

As for my picture, I think you nailed it - at least as I see it. Looking at the bottom row, I guess the DeCarlo guys might like that Irma, and Walt Kelly fans might prefer the Easter Parade. The True Secrets has an Everett cover and there's even a Kurtzman for the EC fans.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, batman_fan said:

Updated group shot of some of my favorite books. 

IMG_2577.JPG

A mighty fine grouping, Batman Fan. At least four of those books I recall from the O'Brien book, The Golden Age of Comic Books: the Mystery Men, the awesome Green Giant, the Hit 9 and the Wonderworld. And no doubt the Tecs, the SS, the LT1 and the other Hit are right at home.

Edited by PopKulture

13 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

A mighty fine grouping, Batman Fan. At least four of those books I recall from the O'Brien book, The Golden Age Comic Books: the Mystery Men, the awesome Green Giant, the Hit 9 and the Wonderworld. And no doubt the Tecs, the SS, the LT1 and the other Hit are right at home.

That's a great book and was very influential on me when I first saw it back in the 1970s.  I recently purchased a copy of Amazon pretty cheap.  It has some of the best GA covers.

40 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Did you do it with the Overstreets? The early editions had the choicest books, while the later ones started to include more obscure gold and eventually more silver and bronze. OS 6 starts off with Action 1, Adventure 61, All-American 16 and All-Star 4. How's THAT for a line-up?

As for my picture, I think you nailed it - at least as I see it. Looking at the bottom row, I guess the DeCarlo guys might like that Irma, and Walt Kelly fans might prefer the Easter Parade. The True Secrets has an Everett cover and there's even a Kurtzman for the EC fans.

There are two ECs, good ones, and they caught my eye first. So I guess dibs!

My game with the 4 comic pages was keep 1, sell 1, and give 2. (I had a list of 14 comic savvy friends/acquaintances)

19 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

There are two ECs, good ones, and they caught my eye first. So I guess dibs!

My game with the 4 comic pages was keep 1, sell 1, and give 2. (I had a list of 14 comic savvy friends/acquaintances)

I think Air Burst is in one of those issues, if I recall correctly.

Regarding giving two of four away, you are way more altruistic than me!  :whistle:

On 8/2/2017 at 8:50 PM, Readcomix said:

Monster, 'cause its sweet and All Great 'cause it's cool and fairly rare and I'd go to the Irma and skip row two?