• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,316 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, 427Impaler said:

Finally completed an early run of Strange Worlds, some are lower grade and I will be looking for upgrades but at least I have the full run of some of the best genre artwork imhoIMG_1465.thumb.JPG.738bfaa9a345ad48fea81791ad6c1e37.JPG

That's a great set. I'm working on it myself.

Ken

On 9/11/2017 at 11:25 AM, G.A.tor said:

If you haven't ventured into the centaur threads you might have missed a little group shot im happy with. 

IMG_5500.JPG

Awesome, Rick! If you're thinkin' of selling that Sandhog issue at Baltimore, I'm your guy! :hi:

1 minute ago, Zolnerowich said:

Awesome, Rick! If you're thinkin' of selling that Sandhog issue at Baltimore, I'm your guy! :hi:

No chance. Sorry

but I am having it graded (it's the cosmic aeroplane copy )

Edited by G.A.tor

Does anyone else enjoy a little disorder now and then?

Collecting, whether it's comics, coins, cards - whatever, usually entails organizing: in runs, by publisher, by genre, etc. While I appreciate all my Blackhawks sorted by issue number as much as the next boardie, I strangely appreciate it when other books are grouped solely by approximate era. I don't know... I somehow find the randomness refreshing, like this handful that lives together:

35375899.fbaa1000.1024.jpg

427Impaler posted a pic of the Strange Worlds run (Avon, early 50s).

A very under-appreciated run, I've always thought.  Classic sci-fi covers with the added spice of bondage and nudity!

SW 4 (the best one IMO) has it all: a voluptuous woman in an evening gown (thanks, Wally), a naked women in a tube, a guy with a ray gun -- what more could you ask for?

(someone needs to start a "Woman in a Tube" topic.  e.g., Science Comics #2)

SW 8 is also a classic - giant robot strangling a woman in a red dress (with a hint of decolletage).  Startling 49 gets all the press, but this is right up there for the "robot menacing the girl" covers.

And who could forget SW 5?  Another voluptuous woman in a skimpy outfit, this time chained to a table.  And a horrible alien monster about to do unspeakable things to her!  OH NO!  Of course, our stalwart hero (with ray gun of course) is coming to the rescue.

Thanks for posting.

3 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Does anyone else enjoy a little disorder now and then?

Collecting, whether it's comics, coins, cards - whatever, usually entails organizing: in runs, by publisher, by genre, etc. While I appreciate all my Blackhawks sorted by issue number as much as the next boardie, I strangely appreciate it when other books are grouped solely by approximate era. I don't know... I somehow find the randomness refreshing, like this handful that lives together:

35375899.fbaa1000.1024.jpg

Nice little group! The only time those would be together for me is if I bought them all together at one time. They would be soon split up forever into, let's see, 4 boxes. I just can't help myself...

57 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice little group! The only time those would be together for me is if I bought them all together at one time. They would be soon split up forever into, let's see, 4 boxes. I just can't help myself...

Four boxes, eh? Well at least it sounds like maybe the Avons will stay together.  ;)

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

won't josh ya, Pop, I love random...but 6 books = cattycorner Avon westerns & jungle books seems organized to me...

True, true... but I wasn't trying to be completely random. Anti-organization to that degree requires... errrr, organization. Of sorts.

But, sure, maybe I could've worked a romance and/or funny animal in there.  :shy:

Edited by PopKulture

after my pedantic hard core definition of random that Pop took so gracefully, thought I'd bump the thread so as to move on with some aplomb. 1) Perry photo covs, 2) while pondering comics choices saw this string of #1s, 3) pulp group scanned whole from Bob Lesser's 'Pulp Art'.

perryphoto.jpg

6cov.jpg

ig322.jpg

Edited by Pat Calhoun

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

after my pedantic hard core definition of random that Pop took so gracefully, thought I'd bump the thread so as to move on with some aplomb. 1) Perry photo covs, 2) while pondering comics choices saw this string of #1s, 3) pulp group scanned whole from Bob Lesser's 'Pulp Art'.

perryphoto.jpg

When I was amassing paperbacks as a teen in the 80's scouring used bookstores and flea markets, I used to overlook the Pockets with the silver spines as shown, mostly in favor of the earlier painted covers. Now I have a greater appreciation for them and the dozens I did pick up here and there. Of course, now they are twice as old as when I got them, and nostalgia seems to grow stronger with time.