• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,316 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

My main passion is collecting things related to SOTI, but here's a group shot to demonstrate one of my ancillary obsessions.  Sometimes I go down these rabbit holes related to SOTI, like the Reform School Girl rabbit hole.

Reform School Girl is one of the grail GGA books, due in no small part to the fact that it was pictured in Seduction of the Innocent with the caption "Comic books are supposed to be like fairy tales."  The salacious cover photo is a photo of Canadian ice skater Marty Collins, and the comic book cover image comes from the 1948 Diversey paperback of the same name.

Reform School Girl, the paperback book (not the comic), actually has something else in common with SOTI, the book.  If you're familiar with Seduction of the Innocent, you probably already know that SOTI was distributed with a page missing.  It was printed with a bibliography leaf (pp. 399-400), but the publisher was afraid of lawsuits from the comic book publishers and ordered that leaf sliced out of the books before distribution.  A few copies survived with the bibliography intact, but most copies are missing the bibliography page. 

Similarly, the Reform School Girl paperback had a leaf was removed prior to distribution due to possible legal action.  Page 5 contained the text of correspondence between the protagonist of the fictional book, who was a, uh... "a girl in trouble", and her father, suggesting that perhaps he was the one who knocked her up.  The real-life father of cover model Marty Collins was afraid that somehow people wouldn't be able to distinguish between reality and the fiction in the book.  He threatened to sue the publisher, asserting that the public would think he got his own daughter pregnant.  Diversey caved, and had page 5 removed from Reform School Girl, the paperback, prior to distribution.  A few copies made it out with that elusive page 5, but most are missing page 5.   

Somewhere along the way, I decided I had to get a copy of this elusive paperback, with the missing page intact.  And then a lobby card from the movie of that name.. and before you knew it, I was collecting Reform School Girl stuff...

Last month, I finally completed my RSG collection by acquiring the 1941 hardcover book House of Fury.  It's the book that was, in 1948, printed in paperback form with the title Reform School Girl, which in turn contributed cover art to the comic book.

Here's my Reform School Girl group shot.  See if you can spot:

Reform School Girl cover art reinterpretation painting by Tom Grindberg.

Two Reform School Girl movie lobby cards.

Reform School Girl movie still.

Midnite, The Rebel Skunk #3, with a Reform School Girl parody cover.

Reform School Girl, the comic book.

Reform School Girl, the comic book, without a cover.

House of Fury hardcover, Doubleday, 1941.

House of Fury softcover, Avon, 1950.

Reform School Girl, the Diversey paperback from 1948.  Two copies, both with intact page 5. :)

A Reform School Girl journal, a modern thing with no collector's value, but it's just kinda cool.

Oh, and I forgot to include the awesome reprint book, Teenage Dope Slaves and Reform School Girls.  That book should have been in my group shot, but was absent that day.

Reform_School_Girl_Group_Shot.thumb.jpg.ac471ee0cc640239a4a581452c98af12.jpg

That is awesome.  I sent my copy of the Swados Reform School Girl in to be graded but was told since it didn't have pictures, they wouldn't grade it.  :p

Would love to add the comic but prices for that are out of my reach.  Love the grouping.  And the original "House of Fury" is awesome.  My one beat copy of the Swados in the spoiler.

Spoiler

350786823_reformschoolgirlfront.jpg.6c4dc60e62efe76f023a32e492a0e0f9.jpg2094398209_reformschoolgirlback.jpg.2166dfef1300ab8e639b03bc11171ce2.jpg

Edited by telerites

Tonight, Wednesday May 6 at 7:00pm CST Bedrock City Comic Co. will have a live stream Facebook Live Sale. Lots of great books, both new and old, will be available. If you have a chance, please check it out. All sales will benefit the "Keep Bedrock City Open" fund which will be used to pay the expenses of one of America's most beloved comic book stores.

Here is a group of comics that WILL NOT be available in tonight's sale...

facebooklivegroupshot.jpeg

Edited by MrBedrock

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Tonight, Thursday May 6 at 7:00pm CST Bedrock City Comic Co. will have a live stream Facebook Live Sale. Lots of great books, both new and old, will be available. If you have a chance, please check it out. All sales will benefit the "Keep Bedrock City Open" fund which will be used to pay the expenses of one of America's most beloved comic book stores.

Amazing books!

Funds should also be put aside to send the picture taker back to school to re-learn the alphabet and spelling :kidaround:

4 minutes ago, sagii said:

Funds should also be put aside to send the picture taker back to school to re-learn the alphabet and spelling :kidaround:

(shrug) whud i do?

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Tonight, Thursday May 6 at 7:00pm CST Bedrock City Comic Co. will have a live stream Facebook Live Sale. Lots of great books, both new and old, will be available. If you have a chance, please check it out. All sales will benefit the "Keep Bedrock City Open" fund which will be used to pay the expenses of one of America's most beloved comic book stores.

Is there any other way besides Facebook to see what you are selling?  Sadly I don’t have a Facebook account since the “incident”