• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,321 posts in this topic

This is probably my favorite thread in the Golden age forum great stuff!!!

Here is my speciality:

DSCN1741.jpg

th_DSCN1746.jpg

th_DSCN1745.jpg

th_DSCN1744.jpg

th_DSCN1743.jpg

th_DSCN1742.jpg

Hope this works:

I just took this picture last week to send to a friend. I call it "my 3 babies".

When I CGC my All Star #3, and my second son is born in 8 weeks, I'll have to take another and call it "my 5 babies" (I won't let the 2 human ones touch anything until its in a capsule).

112969515_51b09f4f2b_m.jpg

Edited by non sequitur

Boy Comics, 49 issues and counting:

boy_collection.jpg

In the long run, which are more fun to read: Boy Comics or Crime does not Pay? popcorn.gif

Good question. CDNP is certainly the more "premium" run and is certainly considered a "more important" book than Boy. Having read a decent segment of both runs, however, I've got to say that for pure reading pleasure, issue to issue, Boy takes the prize for me right now. It's a really inclusive title with stories ranging from traditional superhero tales, to crime, a little teen-humor, morality tales, a bit of everything. CNDP might have originated the Crime genre in comics, but Boy could never be penned up in a single genre at all. It's obvious to me that Biro, Maurer, et al had a lot of fun producing such a flexible book. The continuing characters also make it fun (something that CDNP was generally lacking with a few rare short-lived exceptions). It's also great that they can be had relatively cheaply by comparision to CDNP and Daredevil. I expect it will be the first run I complete of the long-running Lev Gleason titles.

Boy Comics, 49 issues and counting:

boy_collection.jpg

In the long run, which are more fun to read: Boy Comics or Crime does not Pay? popcorn.gif

Good question. CDNP is certainly the more "premium" run and is certainly considered a "more important" book than Boy. Having read a decent segment of both runs, however, I've got to say that for pure reading pleasure, issue to issue, Boy takes the prize for me right now. It's a really inclusive title with stories ranging from traditional superhero tales, to crime, a little teen-humor, morality tales, a bit of everything. CNDP might have originated the Crime genre in comics, but Boy could never be penned up in a single genre at all. It's obvious to me that Biro, Maurer, et al had a lot of fun producing such a flexible book. The continuing characters also make it fun (something that CDNP was generally lacking with a few rare short-lived exceptions). It's also great that they can be had relatively cheaply by comparision to CDNP and Daredevil. I expect it will be the first run I complete of the long-running Lev Gleason titles.

That Iron Jaw/Statue of Liberty -c has always been a favorite of mine. cloud9.gif

Thank you for the excellent and detailed answer. It confirms the impression I had from reading my copies and your comments over the last year about these Lev Gleason books. If I have a little spare change soon I might buy a small lot of Boys on eBay just for reading fun.

I'm mostly a SA and BA collector, but when a GA cover catches my eye I have been known to buy a GA book from time to time. Here is what I currently have. It's a dumpy little collection, nothing like what's been posted in this thread, but I like em.

gapic.jpg

So whats more impressive, a high value first appearance or a strong run of hard to find issues. A similar point, if you had, say Superman 1-100 and wanted to raise some money (space wasn't an issue) would you sell the unrestored VG #1 or the VG to VF 2-100 with equivalent value for the same $$$$?

Seeing a strong collection has always struck me as much more impressive, but the flipe sid is that there's little WOW factor for tht uninitiated. Show your uncle, the baseball card collector, a Superman 1 and he probably congratulates you, show him 2-100 and he might shrug.

In the end what do we individually appreciate more. I would prefer the single key to the larger run. It was one of the reasons I sold off 90% of my Spidermans, I got sick of owning issues from the lat 60's to 70's which had god-awful art and stories. That it got better in the 80's was great but all those books are so easy to find I could never get excited about collecting them.

So whats more impressive, a high value first appearance or a strong run of hard to find issues. A similar point, if you had, say Superman 1-100 and wanted to raise some money (space wasn't an issue) would you sell the unrestored VG #1 or the VG to VF 2-100 with equivalent value for the same $$$$?

Seeing a strong collection has always struck me as much more impressive, but the flipe sid is that there's little WOW factor for tht uninitiated. Show your uncle, the baseball card collector, a Superman 1 and he probably congratulates you, show him 2-100 and he might shrug.

In the end what do we individually appreciate more. I would prefer the single key to the larger run. It was one of the reasons I sold off 90% of my Spidermans, I got sick of owning issues from the lat 60's to 70's which had god-awful art and stories. That it got better in the 80's was great but all those books are so easy to find I could never get excited about collecting them.

I'm sort of struggling with this question myself right now, though "struggling" is a bit too strong of a word. Currently, I'm leaning towards more of a completeist mentality. I read my collection, so simply from that perspective, more is better. I will occassionally pick up a higher dollar, earlier issue when the right copy comes along, but I figure if my eventual goal is a complete run, acquiring as many issues as possible as they arise makes sense. I am working under the assumption that a few (several? many?) years down the line when I'm left with a few high dollar Gleasons still to acquire, I will have a bit more diposable income than I do right now. Might be wishful thinking, but for the time being it seems like the right answer for me. If I was in it purely from an investment stand-point, I would have a different answer, but I would probably be buying different books as well, so it's kind of irrelevant.

I'll say, I do get a good deal of pleasure laying 50 issues of Boy or CDNP side by side and imagining the run without any of the annoying gaps.

I hear the both of you. I obviously fall in dmgscr camp in the end.

When I sit down and add how much $$$ I spent on the mini-runs, at times, I mentally convert that value into how many Marvel Mysteries or Captain America or ______ (plug in your favorite early GA run) they would represent. I would love to own those books but then I'd be looking at a limited collection of few books to read. Actually when Silver Surfer was commenting on my books / collection with envy, I smiled because it is I who is envious of his GA purchases any time he posts them. Honestly, I have never felt very satisfied when I buy a single more expensive book compared to adding several books to a run. It seems I will continue to go after runs as I have been doing. I simply need to make sure I don't constantly add to the list of runs I am going after and stay focused ... which is hard to do when one hangs out around here frustrated.gif

Great books ACME 893applaud-thumb.gif,... see this is what I like about a group shot, seeing all these great books together holds more weight than just seeing any individual book by itself...you wouldn't see a line up like that at a convention..