• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 Dells 1940-1950

57 posts in this topic

Krighton seems to be having so much fun I had to join. Just bought a collection of Dells from the early 40's to 50's. Normally not a big deal but there are so many that it seemed pretty exciting. So for the Superhero lovers this isn't for you but there are some pretty sweet books here.

Posts of pics as I get them organized.

Lets start off with a bang. Bound copy of 1942 New Funnies 66 - 77. This is the first year of the new title with Andy Panda among real people and 2nd Woody Woodpecker. Issue 76 is the Carl Barks issue.

nfbound.jpg

First of all, that's a fabulous cover! poke2.gif

Seriously, that book looks like it's perfect bound. Could a restoration expert actually "unbind" that book and remove the glue, etc. Since there are no punched holes, etc and since the covers could have been protected from the elements all these years, would incredible copies possibly emerge from bound issues like that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bought from a collector who started in the mid 60's. Hard to tell truth from fiction but I believe most of it. He says he knew Carl Barks and Walt Kelly. Drops names like Geppi and Rogofsky etc. Also says he knew many of the Underground artists of the time. He sold all the really valuable stuff like his WDCS 1-100 and Looney's 1-50 as well as Barks Donalds etc.

This is just the left overs. Other stuff he had that wasn't for sale.

Box of Undergrounds from 1969-72. Included Ari Pirate Funnies Vol1 #1 the newspaper. Plus the Mickey comic. About 100 pieces of colored paper with a 5 cent price on them of underground.

Two Kelly original art strips

Robert Crumb original page and a classic.

The finest Mickey Mouse toy collection I have ever even dreamt of. 1930-32 toys Mint in box and the box was nearly perfect. Long bill Donald Duck toys from 1935.

1930's Felix the Cat original art

1930s Silly Symphonies poster (mermaid kingdom no Disney characters)

500 Sunday strips of Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck from 1932 to 1938.

and on and on.

I got the comics though.

Bought from a collector who started in the mid 60's. Hard to tell truth from fiction but I believe most of it. He says he knew Carl Barks and Walt Kelly. Drops names like Geppi and Rogofsky etc. Also says he knew many of the Underground artists of the time. He sold all the really valuable stuff like his WDCS 1-100 and Looney's 1-50 as well as Barks Donalds etc.

This is just the left overs. Other stuff he had that wasn't for sale.

Box of Undergrounds from 1969-72. Included Ari Pirate Funnies Vol1 #1 the newspaper. Plus the Mickey comic. About 100 pieces of colored paper with a 5 cent price on them of underground.

Two Kelly original art strips

Robert Crumb original page and a classic.

The finest Mickey Mouse toy collection I have ever even dreamt of. 1930-32 toys Mint in box and the box was nearly perfect. Long bill Donald Duck toys from 1935.

1930's Felix the Cat original art

1930s Silly Symphonies poster (mermaid kingdom no Disney characters)

500 Sunday strips of Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck from 1932 to 1938.

and on and on.

I got the comics though.

ballpark of $ ? if you don't mind me asking.

The comics breakdown to about

100 WDCS from 100 to 260

150 Looney from 47 to 150

100 Mickey

50 Donald

100 Scrooge 3 to 140

50 random Golden Age

50 new Funnies

50 Porky or Bugs

50 Felix, Andy Panda or W Woodpecker

50 Disney related Goofy Albums Pluto

50 Walt Kelly Four Color

100 1970's Atlas #1 issues and Howard the Duck #2 and DC #1s like Kong etc.

Scans coming

Most are VGs with some nice specimens here and there. I paid about half what they were worth on ebay and hopefully there are some more gems like these as I go through them.

LTMM 47 from 1945

l47.jpg