• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shadow 1 Prelim Cover Kaluta

11 posts in this topic

Wasn't the actual cover auctioned through Heritage or someone like that about a year ago? Cool piece, 2 separate pieces, the figure drawing and the foregroundtrain. I remember seeing a Live Ebay auction for it, but can't recall the details like price (more than $100, though).

It definitely wasn't Heritage (I just checked their archives). I don't remember seeing it up there, but that's one cover I'd love to check out!

I think Albert Moy owns that now. Bill Howard would have sold it, quite recently. I believe that Bill had Mr. Kaluta combine the pieces into one (though this may be an error on my part, and instead there is an overlay involved). Personally, I don't drink the 'though shalt not alter production materials developed to create a comic book' kool-aid, so I think the piece looks great combined. But there are many a true believer out there who feel it would be sacrilegious.

My recollection is that there is no overlay involved, that Mr. Kaluta merged the two original pieces into one piece. And I'm okay with that, hence the 'didn't drink the kool-aid' comment. I recognize that there are two factions, I'm just of the opinion that this stuff is made to create a comic book, not for the sake of art. Heck, a fellow collector purchased a page of art to a modern comic, and the reason he bought *that* page was the dialogue. Of course, being modern, the word balloons were dropped in. I thought he should ask one of the artists to draw the word balloons onto the page itself, to bring about the realization of the original intent. To some that made me a heritic; I'm okay with that. When comics are further digitized and everyone works like Brian Bolland, there will be no art, but there will be comics. Which shows the artists attitude toward the making of this high art. I will admit to being mildly torn by the arguement that this is a 'true, original, American artform', which has some validity. But if Mike Kaluta decides to take two drawing he did and combine them, who am I to argue with him?