• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 Days of Night only 7500 printed?

20 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2174057767&category=3981

In the description he says theres only 7500 printed, is this true? Im planning on bidding on his auction but I just can't believe they only printed 7500, seems way to low. Does any know the real print run for this comic? cause I dont want to bid if hes full of [!@#%^&^] trying to hype up he's auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2174057767&category=3981

In the description he says theres only 7500 printed, is this true? Im planning on bidding on his auction but I just can't believe they only printed 7500, seems way to low. Does any know the real print run for this comic? cause I dont want to bid if hes full of [!@#%^&^] trying to hype up he's auction....

Dude, wait. Don't buy now. Wait for the hype to die down... why would you pay that much for MODERN books that aren't going to be worth the paper they're printed on after the movie comes out?? They're extemely common, there's just a lot of very foolish people who are paying foolish amounts of money for them... which is, of course, artificially inflating the value of the series. Hell, buy the TPB. It's what? $9.95? wink.gif

Khaos is right. This book is "hot" right now b/c of the impending movie. I've been wnating to check it out, but the guys at my shop say it's pretty average; typical vampire stuff. TPB is $19.95, so I've passed on it several times.

Chris

Wow! Thought this was a can't miss comic book! you got the movie hype thats driving the price up, the sequel to 30 Days "DarkNight" coming out soon which will be a HUGE hit(possible movie sequel also), and the creators of 30 days got there own series coming out "Criminal Macabre". throw in the low print run, kickass story(vamps in Alaska not your typical vamp story) and art, theres noway this comic can be worthless(unless the movie and Criminal Macabre flops 893crossfingers-thumb.gif).

I been in the hobby for only 5 months so maybe im talking bunch of non-sense Wizard fanboy hype sh*t....... confused.gif sorry if im a total n00b! 893blahblah.gif

Who knows? It could keep getting ridiculous prices (I mean, MHC is shelling out $20 a pop for 'em). But the chances of it maintaining Ultimate Spidey-like prices aren't very good.

And if the movie does suck (pardon the pun) as most vampire movies do, then the price will drop like a rock.

Chris

I'll be dumping my Y The Last Man run when the movie hype hits. I like the story and I'll always keep the trade, but if people want to spen stupid money on the originals then I'm always happy to part a fool and his money. grin.gif

Wow! Thought this was a can't miss comic book! you got the movie hype thats driving the price up, the sequel to 30 Days "DarkNight" coming out soon which will be a HUGE hit(possible movie sequel also), and the creators of 30 days got there own series coming out "Criminal Macabre". throw in the low print run, kickass story(vamps in Alaska not your typical vamp story) and art, theres noway this comic can be worthless(unless the movie and Criminal Macabre flops 893crossfingers-thumb.gif).

I been in the hobby for only 5 months so maybe im talking bunch of non-sense Wizard fanboy hype sh*t....... confused.gif sorry if im a total n00b! 893blahblah.gif

I just read Criminal Macabre and thought it was pretty good. As long as you can remember what 30 DAys of Night was about and where this creative team is coming from. Page through a copy at the store...

The print run of 7500 is about right... it may even be a little high, unless IDW padded their order a little bit hoping the book would take off.

Most collectors don't realize that over half the comic shops in the country do not order ANY shelf copies of titles in the "green" section of previews. There are tons and tons and tons of shops out there that order Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and Image, and that's it. They may accept a special order from a customer, but they don't order small press books for the shelf. So 7500 copies is actually a pretty damn big print run for an unproven book from a new publisher...

Crossgen (currently battling Dark Horse for 4th place in market share) says that they are only in 1800 of the 3200 comic shops in the country. They are the 5th biggest publisher with over a dozen monthly titles, and there are 1400 stores that don't even carry them. I doubt there were 500 shops who placed advance Previews orders for 30 Days of Night... I ordered two copies and that was only because I had a customer with "All undead titles" on his pull list. I figured his order paid for me to have a shelf copy, which sold about 2 weeks after the book came out...

Buy the book. Don't buy the book. That's up to you... But he's not blowing smoke up your butt about a small print run...

I don't know, I mean, people are paying STUPID money for a book that will have very little (if any at all) "historical value." There's nothing THAT cool about it other than it completely snuck in under the radar... and as far as scarcity is concerned, well, it doesn't mean much of anything to comic collectors, I'm afraid. Consider that Hulk 181 sells for thousands and thousands of dollars even though there are thousands and thousands of CONFIRMED extant copies, but books with far smaller populations are worth FAR less.

I guess I'm saying to take the print run out of the equation.

That being said, it's nobody's FIRST anything (as far as I remember, anyway... IDW was around before 30 Days, right?), it's not a particularly outstanding story, the art is rather unremarkable, it's a pure-hype book. The way to cash in on these things is to have the foresight and good luck to pick up a copy or three when they first come out. Once they're selling for hundreds, the risk far outweighs the potential return on your investment. (PARTICULARLY in the case of modern books... SUPER-PARTICULARLY in the case of ultra-modern books that just came out in the last 6 months.)

Thanks for the replys, seems like you guys are right! Thank god i didnt folk over 100+ for these comic. I still want them though so ill prob just buy it when the hype and price go's down(it better go down or ill kill all you guyz!! 893frustrated.gif)..............

thats the best way to approach hyped up hot very recent comics: if you miss it--move on. Dont chase last month's hot book. And, if you DO get a copy of a hot book for cover or cheap enough--sell at the peak, or put it away in your collection.

Manufactured collectibles today shoot up in price and hit their all-time peak value quickly. Then its all downhill from there as other "hot properties" take over the spotlight.

I really wouldn't say that 30 DAYS OF NIGHT has reached its apex yet. I just sold a very average NM set of 1st prints on EBAY at my BIN price of $145: Here it is . I also have the full set CGC'd and I will probably hold onto those until next April.

I had a talk with Niles up at Creation Con (the only good thing about that damn show) and he was pretty excited about how the studio was promising a massive push for this movie next summer (Pre-Production) has already started. I think its going to be a hit. I see these books staying pretty steady at over $110 for all three and even spiking to over $150 retail at the Comic-Con here in San Diego in July.

Steve also did confirm to me the low print run. He told me he thought less than 7000 though. But IDW does overprint quite a bit (look at CSI).

Ok, here is a new question for this topic. I recently bought the TPB to read the story, and when I got home I was happily suprised to find that it had been autographed by Steve Niles and Ben Templesmith, and said it was a limited special (or something like that).

Then on the weekend, while at my comic store, I noticed they had additional copies of the TPB, without the autographs. Does anyone know what the print runs are for the Autographed copies? Is the non-autographed one a second print? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif