• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Trading Card Values

73 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know there's a separate board for card collectors, but none of them really deal with Marvel cards.

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea what the entire/complete sets of the following cards might be worth?

- Marvel 1991

- Marvel 1992

- Skybox X-Men: Series 2 (1993)

I was pretty big into these cards when I was a teenager. I just found them about a week ago while doing some spring cleaning. Forgot I even had them. I wouldn't expect them to be worth much at all.

Then you won't be disappointed.

Some of the Fleer sets were so overproduced that a few years ago you could buy them for $5 a case.They originally were over $200 a case.

Is Impel Marketing a subsidiary of Fleer? confused-smiley-013.gif None of the sets I own say "Fleer" on them, but they still could be. I don't really have a clue.

I have the Marvel Masterpieces, but I'm not sure what this Spectra set is. confused-smiley-013.gif

Those are the insert cards that came in the packs - I think there were 6 cards, with each of them being a hero vs. villain battle.

I have the Marvel Masterpieces, but I'm not sure what this Spectra set is. confused-smiley-013.gif

Those are the insert cards that came in the packs - I think there were 6 cards, with each of them being a hero vs. villain battle.

foreheadslap.gif Yeah I got it now. I have a set of those somewhere.

the only boxes that were ever worth 200 were the first Marvel Masterpieces and for a brief time the underprinted and sold Marvel Silver Age set toward the end of it all. After Masterpieces, Jemas upped the print runs and sold every darn case he printed to all sort of market as he brought in the big chain stores by giving them their own box designs and chase car suseyts etc.

it wa a brilliant pokicy to suck up all the available cash while the getting was good. It worked and DID NOT kill the industry as many believe. If Jemas didnt overproduce to meet the demand, Topps and the others would have done so. No matter what, after a time kids were gonna realize that all they owned at the end of the day was a lot of cardboard with metallic foils and inks on them that just werent as scarce as they wanted to believe for so long.

But - - I predict (!) pretty soon, there will be some kind of resurgence of the Marvel cards as those kids go back and relive the excitement.

but, maybe not!

I asked CGC to start a comic card forum last week. The cards to have are the Marvel I and II series and the Doomsday chase cards ( rare rare rare and cool too)

What about the early X-Men sets? Wasn't there a 'super rare' Wolverine hologram chase card in one of those, that was worth big bucks at one stage? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I actually dug out a whole box of these sets, and to my surprise, they sold pretty well on eBay. $5-20 or so for a basic set, and I got $60 for a full set of 1994 Fleer Flair cards plus insert sets, $50 for a 1994 Spiderman set with holograms, etc. The X-Men Series 2 set with the holograms and the 3D Wolverine one went for $45.

the only boxes that were ever worth 200 were the first Marvel Masterpieces and for a brief time the underprinted and sold Marvel Silver Age set toward the end of it all. After Masterpieces, Jemas upped the print runs and sold every darn case he printed to all sort of market as he brought in the big chain stores by giving them their own box designs and chase car suseyts etc.

it wa a brilliant pokicy to suck up all the available cash while the getting was good. It worked and DID NOT kill the industry as many believe. If Jemas didnt overproduce to meet the demand, Topps and the others would have done so. No matter what, after a time kids were gonna realize that all they owned at the end of the day was a lot of cardboard with metallic foils and inks on them that just werent as scarce as they wanted to believe for so long.

But - - I predict (!) pretty soon, there will be some kind of resurgence of the Marvel cards as those kids go back and relive the excitement.

but, maybe not!

An interesting theory. Got anything, besides your opinions,to support it?

I suppose it was just a cosmic coincidence that the card market collapsed right after Marvel got into it?Do you really believe a company like Topps,in business for fifty plus years, would have suddenly ran the market into the ground? Do you think Perlmen and Jemas were just victimsof forces beyondtheir control?.

Please expound.

btw- to avoid a misunderstanding about my earlier posts-Cases of cards(not sets) that were original wholesale pric of $200+ were available for $5 on the wholesale market,I'm not talking about aftermarket collector values.

I know a lot about the non-sport trading card biz. But aside from that, my point was, there was a lot of money lying around once Marvel cards got super hot. Fleer/Jemas wasnt the only one jumping in with set after set trying to cash in. All the companies knew it would end and wanted as big a share as they could while it lasted. They ALL pumped out cardset after cardset. And they were all eagerly scooped up. Non-Sports cards were having their big day in the sun..."go get em" was the credo.

Ask yourself the question as a businessman: If you know a fad will fizzle out, do you go slowly, reduce your output HOPING to stretch out the good times? No. Because two things will happen. You competitors will not hold back and THEY will get the money, not you. And, suppose to DO stretch a few years more out of the trend. So what? Because you coul dhave had that same income in the FIRST year, not stretched out over 3 or 4.

Unless there was industry collusion to hold back the number of new sets by the major producers, choas and greed will always rule the day. Its human nature.

and Perelman had nothing to do with it.