• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mohawk Valley Pedigree ?

14 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me more about this collection? I had never heard of it until today, so I was hoping that someone could tell me something more about it. I would greatly appreciate any information that can be provided.

I bring it up because I came across this auction:

Batman 106

and this:

Batman 100

Just as a side note, I did do a search of the forum and got no results returned.

From the little I know about it, I know it was a collection from New York discovered 20+ years ago that consisted largely of DC/ Esoteric Golden Age,early silver age and Dell comics ( Magnus file copies and such.) Metropolis and Heritage have sold quite a few from this collection. It was found in the Mohawk Valley area of New York ( obviously ) and that is all I know.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info. What you have told me gets me one step closer to learning about something new (at least new to me).

What I cannot figure out is how in the world I missed hearing about this collection in the first place. confused.gif

i believe the Mohawk Valley books were discovered or brought to the public my mark wilson in the early 90's

they consist of mainly dc's, they came to the public spotlite at one of the christies auctions i think

many of them have cgc's at 9.0 but may suffer from extensive tanning and tan to cream page quality

imo, NOT one of the better pedigrees and NOT one of the more sought after

OK, the real answer is that this collection was discovered in or around 1995. The 1995 Sotheby's auction included the Showcase 4 that I believe got a CGC grade of 8.5. The auction catalog does not specifically gave a history of the collection at that time. It did note that the advisors were uncertain if the collection should be consider a pedigree at that time. However, I did recall reading something about the collection in a CBG at that time.

Perhaps you could contact Jerry Weist, as was/is Sotheby's chief comic book advisor. Here's a link to his My eBay page with some contact information ==> Jerry Weist

Well Greggy your info would definately explain why I missed the "coming out" of this collection as I was on a comicbook hiatus in the mid 1990's. It would also stand to reason that if is not one of the more saught after collections that it would not have jumped out at me until now. Its does seem odd that if the collection consisted of mostly DC's that I never noticed it before seeing as I tend to gravitate toward collecting older DC comics as opposed to Marvels.

Perhaps I will contact Mr. Weist and see if he can give me some more detailed information on the collection.

Thanks for everything.

PCE has a bunch of the DCs at astronautical prices.......

I checked out their web page and you are right they do have some from this collection. They had a CGC 8.5 Justice League 7 for $375 (which is the 9.4 guide price) and a Brave and Bold 43 CGC 8.0 for $450 (which is close to the $475 NM 9.4 guide). Those did not seem to bad, but when I saw the prices for the four adventure comics they have I nearly passed out.

Adventure 210 CGC 9.0 C/OW -- asking $30,000 vs $4600 NM guide

Adventure 247 CGC 9.2 C/OW -- asking $55,000 vs $6800 NM guide

Adventure 260 CGC 9.2 C/OW -- asking $10,000 vs $850 NM guide

Advneture 267 CGC 9.0 Cream -- asking $10,000 vs $1000 NM guide

I realize that the first Krypto the Superdog, first LoSH, second LoSH, and first SA origin of Aquaman are important, but holy smokes are they that important? blush.gif

PCE has a bunch of the DCs at astronautical prices.......

I checked out their web page and you are right they do have some from this collection. They had a CGC 8.5 Justice League 7 for $375 (which is the 9.4 guide price) and a Brave and Bold 43 CGC 8.0 for $450 (which is close to the $475 NM 9.4 guide). Those did not seem to bad, but when I saw the prices for the four adventure comics they have I nearly passed out.

Adventure 210 CGC 9.0 C/OW -- asking $30,000 vs $4600 NM guide

Adventure 247 CGC 9.2 C/OW -- asking $55,000 vs $6800 NM guide

Adventure 260 CGC 9.2 C/OW -- asking $10,000 vs $850 NM guide

Advneture 267 CGC 9.0 Cream -- asking $10,000 vs $1000 NM guide

I realize that the first Krypto the Superdog, first LoSH, second LoSH, and first SA origin of Aquaman are important, but holy smokes are they that important? blush.gif

His prices are nuts, true, but the 210 is a legitimately VERY hard book to find - I sold a coverless one for $500. But $55K for Adventure 247? Put the pipe down.

[quote

His prices are nuts, true, but the 210 is a legitimately VERY hard book to find - I sold a coverless one for $500. But $55K for Adventure 247? Put the pipe down.

I thought that PGC Mint price were the highest around till I saw PCE this year...who in their right mind would pay these prices...is he hoping to get that investor who just needs one or two books to complete his collection and dosn't care what the price is?

Jonny D. confused.gif

PCE prices are just a set up for his end of the year 70% off sale. With 70% the the price would be about twice guide the near mint guide - hehe. PCE is out of their minds.

Tomega

but the 210 is a legitimately VERY hard book to find - I sold a coverless one for $500.

Actually, when I made that post I was not considering the difficulty in finding one, much less one in that grade. I have never seen a high grade copy in person. And that copy is a pedigree, so maybe that does warrant a somewhat premium over guide price.

In fact, I may sound stupid when I say this, but if I could get my hands on a decent copy of 210 I would take the chance, pedigree or not. I am not saying that I would drop $500 on a coverless copy, but I would not mind having that issue in my collection. Something about a dog named Krypto and the overall camp value of the book is appealing.

PCE prices are just a set up for his end of the year 70% off sale. With 70% the the price would be about twice guide the near mint guide - hehe. PCE is out of their minds.

Tomega

End of the year sale??..I never saw that...when did he run it??

Jonny D. confused.gif

End of the year sale??..I never saw that...when did he run it??

I was joking to make the point that even at 70% off it is still twice guide.

Tom