• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest ever comic

75 posts in this topic

DD 181 is a killer story, but so is DD 191 893whatthe.gif ASM annual 1 is good too, but the art is far superior to the story, im surprised at no mention of either FF's 48-50. Im gonna have to go with DK returns. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Dark Knight (the first mini-series) rocked my world.

Also, after Crisis, The Last Days of the Justice Society stands out. DC needed a way to get rid of all the Golden Ager's floating around Earth-1 so they stuck them in Ragnarok where they could fight Loki and the rest of the Asgardian baddies for the rest of eternity. If they hadn't Hitler and his Spear of Destiny would have destroyed the universe at the end of WW II. Cool story.

Logically, I don't have a favorite comic. The comics themselves should hold no interest. I have a CGC slab that is absolutely Gem quality. I have no idea what book was housed in it, nor do I care. The condition of the plastic, the clarity, color, absence of any visible inclusions, and reflective quality of the material for this particular slab must be seen to be believed. If not a 10.0 CGC holder, then VERY close to perfection. That is my most prized comic collectible and I wouldn't part with it for all the Action 1s in the world! I also have a CGC label that is stunning. The coloration is unique, a royal, azure blue with a slight greenish "whisper". Like looking at a beautiful Carribean surf with the sky reflecting off the surface of the water. Definitely a fluke color that I haven't seen equaled. I think the label is from a CGC 4.0 unrestored Green Lantern (Golden age) # 4 or 5, the exact number escapes me at the moment because of it's relative unimportance. That also is NFS!

Have you considered having your slab slabbed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Marvels by Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek.

My reasons: One, this was the first time that I had seen Alex Ross artwork and I thought that it was incredible. His water color style was a giant step away from the usual pencil and inks. Two, the story was a great twist in the way that it used the man-on-the-street point of view towards super heroes. I had always wondered how people would react to a Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, or an X-Man if they really did exist and this series did a great job of conveying what it would have been like.

My favorite comic would have to be the Infinity Gauntlet series. Yup, it sounds rediculous compared to so many of the classics posted here... but I remember reading that story when i was 14 or so like 50 times when i bought it. I'm one of those suckers for the cosmic universe spanning crossovers. Can't get enough.

There are so many to choose from but I personally prefer originality over everything else. If I had to choose my all time fave would have to be "Born Again" in DD 227-233.

Having said that, there are a few books that I considered perfect at the time. By that I mean, plot & scripting (avoiding cliches, has originality, good characterization & great cliffhanger), great cover and interior art that are appropiate to the characters in the books.

For these perfect comics I can list aforementioned Batman 251, Detective 474 & 475 (Englehart & Roger's Joker), Captain America 253 & 254 (Baron Blood by Stern/Byrne), Daredevil 169 & 181, Iron Man 128 (the "Tony the Boozer" ish), Teen Titans (vol.2) 18 (Kid Flash's letter to home), FF 51 (Lee & Kirby's masterpiece of -script & art), Amazing Spiderman 9 (1st Electro - showed everything early Spidey was about in one issue), Dreadstar 1 (the best series intro I've ever read), Miracleman 16 (Moore's finale) & Sandman 71-73 (Gaiman's real wrap of the most complex and literary series ever produced).

Sorry to go on so long but one I got started.... rantpost.gif

Wow - as usual it is all about the Hammer. Practically any post can now be turned into the hammer soapbox self cruxification thread! If we weren't reminded of your problems at every turn maybe some of them would go away. But this is really getting a bit tiresome - don't you think?

Not surprisingly, I'm picking the Valiant early books...at least for Modern Age "best".

The earliest books were all written to build up to the 18-part Unity crossover...

a total of about 60 comics with such tight continuity that they could have been

chapters in the same book. A story spanning all time, to end all time,

where even title characters die and are never seen again.

After that, it had to be all downhill for Valiant...and, unfortunately, it was.

There are so many to choose from but I personally prefer originality over everything else. If I had to choose my all time fave would have to be "Born Again" in DD 227-233.

Having said that, there are a few books that I considered perfect at the time. By that I mean, plot & scripting (avoiding cliches, has originality, good characterization & great cliffhanger), great cover and interior art that are appropiate to the characters in the books.

For these perfect comics I can list aforementioned Batman 251, Detective 474 & 475 (Englehart & Roger's Joker), Captain America 253 & 254 (Baron Blood by Stern/Byrne), Daredevil 169 & 181, Iron Man 128 (the "Tony the Boozer" ish), Teen Titans (vol.2) 18 (Kid Flash's letter to home), FF 51 (Lee & Kirby's masterpiece of -script & art), Amazing Spiderman 9 (1st Electro - showed everything early Spidey was about in one issue), Dreadstar 1 (the best series intro I've ever read), Miracleman 16 (Moore's finale) & Sandman 71-73 (Gaiman's real wrap of the most complex and literary series ever produced).

Sorry to go on so long but one I got started.... rantpost.gif

i just rated you 5 stars for your most insightful post, how did i forget about DD 169.....damn devils! goodevil.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif

Hell no Clobberin', I've just picked up the "CGC or die" gauntlet and am running farther and faster with it than anyone else before to make up for all that lost time that I was deluded in my thinking that you could deal a raw high-grade book in this hobby without payment of necessary royalties. Better to pick it up later than never. Now, I'm actually sickened when I think of all the books I transacted that proper tribute was left unpaid on. The mere sight of any comic without a CGC slab caressing it lovingly inside its confines is enough to enrage me. It took awhile for me to come around to everyone's thinking, but I'm here now, my head is straight, pass me the submission forms.

The Killing Joke is my #1

The Dark Knight is #2

The Adventures of Chrissie Claus is #3, cause that little

red suit still gives me a plumpy. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

We do this thread every couple months or so... But I can't believe we made it this far in the thread before this book is mentioned:

For these perfect comics I can list aforementioned.... FF 51 (Lee & Kirby's masterpiece of -script & art)

I have personally forced 63 people to read this issue, physically and in person. All 37 of my employees (including those that only lasted one day), plus over two dozen customers. I buy every low grade copy I find at every show I attend because no one turns down buying this book after reading it... Probably sold 100 copies just in the last three years...

My 2nd place vote goes to Tangled Web #4: Severance Package...

I have personally forced 63 people to read this issue, physically and in person. All 37 of my employees (including those that only lasted one day

one day? how in the hell do you get fired from a comic book store after one day? never read FF 51, got a reading copy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif893Funny-thumb.gif

Fastest I have ever fired someone at my shop is four days, although in my previous occupation I fired probably 50 people total on their first day, and a handful within 10 minutes of them reporting for work...

The guy I fired after four days decided that three packs of Magic cards were worth more than his job... He's the only one I have cut loose in less than two weeks. All my employees tell me I am way too nice... I'll put up with just about anything as long as people show up when they're supposed to and don't steal from me... Everything else I can manage around...

No, the people who left after one day left on their own... including one gal who left to have lunch with her boyfriend (after starting work at 10am) and never came back. I didn't see her again for over a year, never came to pick up her check, nothing... But even SHE had read FF 51 before she left... tongue.gif

As far as FF51 goes, I think I only have one copy in stock right now... The story was reprinted in Marvel's Greatest Comics 38 (10/1972), so that's another place you might find it...

Even more than that, Supa, if I hadn't read DD169, I probably would have stopped collecting. That book made my 13 year old mind understand that there was much more to comics than meets the eye. The scene in the movie theater, the fight with Bullseye on the train tracks and DD's speech at the end of the book were just priceless to my young and impressionable mind. The fastination with the added level kept me in the game and I'm still here today. Thank you Frank Miller!! 893applaud-thumb.gif