• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

About Modern "Drek"

41 posts in this topic

Read the best quote in a while in Wizard this month.

Jeph Loeb said, about Civil War: "What interests me most about this idea is that 80 to 90 percent of the people [fans] think it's a bad idea. People will talk about this for years. The worst thing we can do is have everyone like it."

893applaud-thumb.gif

My thoughts exactly. I can probably count the number of "DC is doing things right" threads on one hand, maybe two. However, the number of "Marvel sucks" threads go far beyond that. Regardless of how "bad" people think Marvel's stories are getting, they are still selling a ton of issues and they have people talking about what they've done, whether its good or bad.

Jeph Loeb said, about Civil War: "What interests me most about this idea is that 80 to 90 percent of the people [fans] think it's a bad idea. People will talk about this for years. The worst thing we can do is have everyone like it."

893applaud-thumb.gif

My thoughts exactly. I can probably count the number of "DC is doing things right" threads on one hand, maybe two. However, the number of "Marvel sucks" threads go far beyond that. Regardless of how "bad" people think Marvel's stories are getting, they are still selling a ton of issues and they have people talking about what they've done, whether its good or bad.

The only reason Marvel books are still selling is simply due to their characters. Nothing else. Not the stories. Not the art.

Actually, I have bought more Marvel now than I have bought in nigh 20 years. I have been buying Marvel Zombies, Ultimates, Ultimate Hulk vs Wolvering. Young Avengers. The stories in those are pretty darn good. The problem, as I see it is that Marvel has opted for quantity over quality. More titles and less quality writing.

Wow, talk about logic. screwy.gif

I'd love to see all these hack insufficiently_thoughtful_persons try to sell their drek without the virtue of marketable characters like Spidey, Wolverine, Cap, Thor, etc. Tell Loeb to write a "Civil War" epic using totally new characters, and rely only on his *talent* - I don't think too many people will line up for that BS. 27_laughing.gif

The characters and the fans are the only reason these drunken fools even have jobs.

Wow, talk about logic. screwy.gif

I'd love to see all these hack insufficiently_thoughtful_persons try to sell their drek without the virtue of marketable characters like Spidey, Wolverine, Cap, Thor, etc. Tell Loeb to write a "Civil War" epic using totally new characters, and rely only on his *talent* - I don't think too many people will line up for that BS. 27_laughing.gif

The characters and the fans are the only reason these drunken fools even have jobs.

Well, let's look at some of the "creators" working on Civil War.

Joss Whedon, Jeph Loeb, Mark Millar, JMS (ok, that hurts them), Ed Brubaker, Bendis -- depends on which Bendis shows. DD Bendis, or USM Bendis.

Sure, the premise of the Civil War isn't very good. The whole registration act idea is not well thought out. But I bet the actual writing for this story (at least the main 7 issue mini) will be fairly good. I mean, I don't think Infinite Crisis has been written all that well. Not as well as Identity Crisis.

893applaud-thumb.gif

The only reason Marvel books are still selling is simply due to their characters. Nothing else. Not the stories. Not the art.

I would beg to differ a little bit. There are some excellent Marvel ongoing books. The reason Marvel is selling high quantities of books (New Avengers, etc.) is probably due to more people out there (obviously not members of these boards) who are fans of the changes Marvel has made (Avengers Disassembled, etc.). I am one of them hi.gif

"What interests me most about this idea is that 80 to 90 percent of the people [fans] think it's a bad idea."

What an elitist snob. Try writing the stories without the Marvel characters and see if they sell! It is like the liberal writers are trying their best to push some stupid political agenda through works of fiction (like Joe Qs Wolvie/Nick Fury not smoking [embarrassing lack of self control]).

(like Joe Qs Wolvie/Nick Fury not smoking [embarrassing lack of self control]).

So that couldn't be because Joe Q. knows that kids read comic books and doesn't want to advocate smoking?

So that couldn't be because Joe Q. knows that kids read comic books and doesn't want to advocate smoking?

All I am saying is comic books shouldn't be a place to push a political agenda. Like "gay" Young Avengers. Comics were just fine the way they were pre-Joe Q.

All I am saying is comic books shouldn't be a place to push a political agenda. Like "gay" Young Avengers. Comics were just fine the way they were pre-Joe Q.

You mean in 1965?

I enjoy that comics are progressing and touching other issues than "growing up being a nerdy high school kid."

I'd like to offer Marvel a new slogan. That "Make Mine Marvel" just isn't working out. I'd like to suggest "This isn't your father's Marvel."

You mean in 1965?

I enjoy that comics are progressing and touching other issues than "growing up being a nerdy high school kid."

I'd like to offer Marvel a new slogan. That "Make Mine Marvel" just isn't working out. I'd like to suggest "This isn't your father's Marvel."

Don't take this guy's bait. He is just another loser shill looking to stir up controversy. Ignore him.

I haven't read all of the Young Avengers but from what I have read it isn't a central theme to the books. Kinda downplayed actually. But there could be more gayness later on. I think it is a pretty good book so far.

gossip.gifDon't listen to the progressive liberal weenie who just loves reading Young Avengers to get the latest going ons between Hulkling and Wiccan.

That's a great book. headbang.gif

Then UXM might be your cup of tea. Colossus has the hots for Nightcrawler. Don't know if that makes him gay or an animal abuser. confused-smiley-013.gif

I already read UXM. I'm probably what you would refer to as a "comic liberal." I read about 30 current titles.

Yeah, I hate it when people try to push a political agenda in a place they "shouldn't" yeahok.gif