• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

value of comics sent in
2 2

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

You should value your comics as you would for insurance purposes, as this is the true reason for you providing a value. You should determine your assessment of the condition of the book as well as take into account your personal investment thus far. Some good references are the Overstreet Price Guide, Comics Buyers Guide, Wizard Magazine and internet sites where comics are sold. You would then use this value to determine the appropriate tier for your comic submission.

You should value your comics as you would for insurance purposes, as this is the true reason for you providing a value. You should determine your assessment of the condition of the book as well as take into account your personal investment thus far. Some good references are the Overstreet Price Guide, Comics Buyers Guide, Wizard Magazine and internet sites where comics are sold. You would then use this value to determine the appropriate tier for your comic submission.

confused-smiley-013.gif Does this mean that if I have a modern that might guide at $250-300, I could still declare my value at the modern limit of $200? Similarly, if I have a Silver Age comic that might guide at $300+, I could declare my value at the economy limit of $250?

Thanks.

• Administrator

You would want to select the lower tier and value your books accordingly. If we determine the book is much more valuable at the end of the grading process, we will call you to "bump" the book to its appropriate value. But, this way you won't be paying extra for a borderline book unless it is necessary.

• Administrator

Yes, any book with a value of over $4000 would have to be submitted using our WalkThru Service. The term "WalkThru" is used to describe the speed of the service; since the books are completed in one day, it is as if they were "walked through" our facility. You can mail us a walk-thru as well as bring it to us. The minimum charge per book for a walk-thru is $110 and the maximum is $1000, but it is otherwise calculated at 2.5% of the Fair Market value of the book (whichever is greater but does not exceed the maximum). What this means is if you send us a book valued at $10, you will still get charged the minimum price of $110.

I am a little confused here. :insane:

Does this mean that the maximum cost to have any comic book graded (walk-thru service) is $1,000?

Or is it 2.5% of FMV?

To clarify, would a NM Action #1 cost $1,000 to grade - or the (much higher) amount of 2.5% of Fair Market Value?

• Administrator

As of January 1, 2012 our pricing structure has changed. Now WalkThru is a Minimum charge of $150 or a Maximum charge of $3000 otherwise calculated at 3% of the declared FMV. So if you have a book that is extremely valuable (say a $1M book) then you would only pay $3000 to have it graded, or if you have a less valuable book (say a $1000 book) you would still pay $150 to have it graded in the same day (not $30).

I hope this helps clear things up for you.

I have a related question here and hope it's the appropriate place. Can I specify a return insurance value that is different than the declared FMV? For example, say I want to submit a book which trades infrequently and which an experienced collector or auction house might fairly appraise at $3000 to $5000. To me it seems fair that I should declare the FMV at $3000 (to get the $95 submission fee), but insure for the high end of the estimate for the return shipping (same as I would insure for fire, flood or theft in my home). Does your submission form support this?

Even if, say, $4000 is a "more fair" FMV, I might still want to insure for $5000, or even higher. This is my choice and I don't think "insurance value" should have to be tied to FMV.

I asked this question over the phone and was told this is not supported. Just wanted to check one more time and perhaps get the rationale. Thank you.

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I would just like some clarification I have never sent in a comic for grading but I would really like to. Okay so If a comic is valued at around $100,000 in NM condition such as fantastic four 1 (using an out of date overstreet book) but is clearly in GD or lower condition like a 1.0 for example. Would that be covered by standard or express services?

I also have a similar question for Avengers#1. With a NM price of well over $3,000 (your max value for express service) my book is obviously not NM, but if it is graded over the max limit lets say a 7.0-8.0. What service would that require?

I am also confused because grading can go so drastically one way or the other.  My book looks perfect to me and it could be rated 9.8 which could make it worth $200k, but you may grade it 7.5 and this would put the value at under $400 and then I should have only paid $33 for the grading.  On one hand I could over insure and pay much higher fees or I can underinsure and potentially lose a valuable comic.  This is not inconsequential when you multiply by 40 comics.  In theory, I could get hit with a bill for $120k to grade 40 books at $3k each. 

Edited by blackft