• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

where are the spideys #400-441 in 9.8???

53 posts in this topic

this is kind of strange to me that there are hardly any amaz spidermans 401-441 in 9.8.there are so many from 240-350 in 9.8 that it surprises me that there are not more from the end of the run.the only ones i have are #400,410 and 418 in cgc 9.8s.there are a lot of collectors trying to get most in 9.8 and everybody knows what kind of money that "THE ONLY 9.8 IN CENSUS" brings in.i remember reynold jay saying that a lot of his later spidey issues that looked perfect did not receive the 9.8 because of "mystery defects",but there has to be tons out there in high grade.mabey soon we will see more 9.8s from that period in the run. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifsorry for the long post 893blahblah.gif

Dolphin I have wondered the same thing. I have several of the 400's in 9.8 that you speak of for my collection but the holes in it are hard to fill. I think it was because many people at that time didn't give a [!@#%^&^] about spiderman b/c the stories sucked. Give it time, there will be plenty of 98's out there. I mean, people are just now getting around to sending in Peter Parkers around the 120's-130's. At this rate, it may be some years before there is much incentive to send in those later spider-man issues. Book value isn't all that high either.

Hi Robb - I agree with you - I just got back some ASM's that I sent in to CGC - among them was 395 and 408 - both received 9.8. 408 was the second issue in the 400's I've managed to get (400 is the other). I found this 408 at a comic store (my wife actually found it for me). I've been traveling around to the comic stores in nearby states and and have found other I will be sending in (425 & 433). The problem seems to be with certain issues due to the way they were put together. Here's a list of what I consider problem issues so far.

389 - it has a card inside that when you store book - no matter how carefully - if something else is stored on top it will cause spine stress.

390 - I've not seen one that's not polybagged. Since stores don't let you take them out of polybags to inspect them you either buy all of the ones you see and pray - or try to see through the bag as best as possible and look for a nice one.

You know the problems with 301 - and I've had a hard time finding 332, 333, 346 & 357. Take care, Izzy

hey izzy,congrats on the 2 you got 9.8.is the 408 the rare white cover that came with the tape or the regular?i will email you in the next day or so about the moon knights.i have the amaz #357 in 9.8,but the other hard one i think is 358 because of the cut cover.take care smile.gif

Hi Robb - the one I got was a white cover - but it was not polybagged. Were the two covers different or was it the same cover with some polybagged and some not? Overstreet doesn't make a distinction between the covers. I also sent 366 and 381 - 381 got a 9.6 and 366 a 9.4 (can't understand why - it was just as nice as the others, but Oh well) - I will be selling those. I am also selling the rest of my Wolverine collection. Take care, Izzy

I can't find any unless I send them in myself. I don't believe many speculators were keen on this range due to the lack of interest from the Clone fall-out. If people start to see some $$$ coming in from selling these, you'll see many more. But I'd bet that those print runs from that run are the lowest, and retained the least as well..

Brian

hey izzy,it is a different cover that you dont see that much.there was one on ebay a few weeks ago graded cgc 9.4 and i think that the starting bid was around $50 so i passed.one of my favorite covers from that end run is #431 i think, where carnage takes over silver surfers body and the cover has carnage riding a surf board. 27_laughing.gif i really think some of the sellers will be surprised at some of the money they would get from some 9.8s at the end of the run. shocked.gif

But I'd bet that those print runs from that run are the lowest, and retained the least as well.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. The effect of low print runs on issues that are really considered common (or too new to be collectible) has left a gap that will be hard for collectors to fill. Also, remember that retailers now (and then) buy to sell through quickly. Unless individual collectors send some to CGC, I suspect there will continue to be a lack of the highest graded CGC copies available.

Jim

I am probably six to eight copies deep on this sequence, and based on who I bought them from I would guess 55-60% of them would fetch a 9.8 on a prescreen...

What kind of prices do you think these would fetch? Because it certainly isn't worth it to pre-screen the batch for 9.8 just to sell them for $20 each...

If you need to clear some space or whatever, I'd be interested in getting some of these if you can get a CGC 9.8 on them. Not really interested in the 400-420 range, except for 417..more or less interested in 425-435.

Brian

It's not really a question of needing space... just a matter of ROI...

I'm not asking anybody to make a firm offer on books items that don't exist yet... But makes a big difference to have an idea of what these would fetch...

I mean, if I throw 50 of these in with my next pre-screen, and half are 9.8, then I'm in around $18.40 a book (counting shipping and reject fees) beyond the $5-7 that I can routinely sell these for in the shop. Clearly it doesn't make sense to do it to sell them at $20-25 a piece...

And yes, these do routinely sell for $5-7, as does most everything from 1996-1997, since no one has them and they rarely come in with collections...

I highly doubt you can't come up with at least 25-30 dollars for these books now..however, if you wait a while and more show up. Then there's a chance the Spider-man completists will have gotten these and then you'd probably be SoL. But..I haven't seen many ASM's post 400 available..so..who knows..I still believe they're going to be tough to find.

Anyways, getting back to it. I guess if you could get a couple bucks from the book rather than nothing (do these books sell raw?) it'd be a plus?

Brian

P.S. I think if you come back with a couple 9.8's you should just leak one and see if you can get completionists to fight over it (similar to what happened with ASM 301 9.8)

For reference, I've only seen in post 400 books.. 418 CGC 9.8 $40 (BIN), 432 CGC 9.4 $26, 440 CGC 9.6 $30 (BIN), there's been a few 441 9.6's too. I'd bet that if you can come up with a 9.8 or 9.9 of 441 it'd break 100 dollars.

Brian

Anyways, getting back to it. I guess if you could get a couple bucks from the book rather than nothing (do these books sell raw?) it'd be a plus?

Well, as I said in my post, yes they do sell raw... but only in a brick-and-mortar setting (unless you are Mile High or Lonestar).

I was planning on waiting another month or so before my next batch of pre-screens... but I may take a look and see what I have. Anybody got a list of the no-9.8 ASMs on the census from this time period they'd care to share?

Anybody got a list of the no-9.8 ASMs on the census from this time period they'd care to share?

I'm assuming you are asking how many ppl have seen? Since the census is accessable to everyone? Anyways, I've only seen 12 9.8's in post 400 issues. 6 of those are ones that I own and were submitted myself. I'd assume Dolphins and Spider9698 have some as well?

Brian

'd bet that if you can come up with a 9.8 or 9.9 of 441 it'd break 100 dollars.

I've got around 40 copies of 441 right now... for some reason I have always had a hunch that the "gathering of five" story would be more important down the road...

Plus I have made a killing on final issues... I love it when titles end. Preacher 66, Hitman 60, Transmet 60, Impulse 89, Supergirl 80, Cap 50... Everyone of those is a $10+ book for me, because every shop underorders final issues (knowing they won't have customers past the first couple weeks)...

I'll check the 441s in particular... I know there are several nice copies in there... have to see what I have for 9.8 potentials...

Actually I was asking about what issues don't have a 9.8 on the census (if somebody had a list then I don't have to look up each and every issue)...

I may have the Goth Princess sit and look them all up for me... cool.gif

It's fun watching guys get all sheepish when it's time to be rung up because they don't want to interrupt her... smile.gif

There's only a handful with 9.8's on the census. Hell, I did a random check through issues between 401-441 after you asked and 5 out of the 8 I checked hadn't even had 1 issue graded yet.

And even though some of those books have 9.8's they're not up for sale (at least not yet).

Brian

i would pay $50 for the ones i do not have over 401 and the only ones i do have so far are 400,410,418.i have rj looking at a few for me,but dont know if he will summitt or not.i can say last time i looked at the census that 80% or more had no 9.8s.i would pay $100 for #431 cgc 9.8. lighthouse try a few and see if you can get some 9.8s because you might be surpised at some of the money you get for them. wink.gif

hey lighthouse i checked the census and the only ones from #401-441 that are in 9.8 #408,#410#418,#441 only 4 9,8s. brian said he had 6 9.8s so his must have just came back since the new census.so you pretty much have a choice of #401 402 403 404 405 406 407 409 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 and 440.keep us updated if you do send some in. thanks robb laugh.gif