• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Newbie's Lament

34 posts in this topic

I bought a bunch of cgc 8.5s for under guide cracked em out of their case and am enjoying them as part of my collection. To me, this is a great deal... great books in 8.0 or 8.5 that others view as "lessor" books that are good bargains and still a high grade.

Excellent point! I have a newfound respect for CGC 8.5's and will forevermore keep an eye out for them. Ebayers seem to avoid modern 8.5's like the plague.

Alot of great deals to be had in CGC 8.0-9.2 grades. In fact, some 9.2s look better than some 9.4s & 9.6s! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Ronny,

From one noob to another, yes...reality bites, but I can vouch for these guys being very helpfull with grading. I've tossed up a few scans and asked for help, although sometimes dissapointed with what i thought was a great looking book, it has helped me in understanding the "Condition" of books, and what to look for.

I think most have noticed my MS#5 misshap, but I learned from it, and thats what you should try and get out of it. If you havn't already, the folks in the forums recomended Overstreets Grading Guide, pick one up, it's helped me alot. God knows i'm far from being an expert grader.

These guys are giveing me an education more so for my protection rather than grading comics, I don't want to overpay for something that is miss-graded by someone else.

I bought a bunch of cgc 8.5s for under guide cracked em out of their case and am enjoying them as part of my collection. To me, this is a great deal... great books in 8.0 or 8.5 that others view as "lessor" books that are good bargains and still a high grade.

Yup, some of the best deals out there are on CGC books in 8 - 8.5. I have no problem cracking the slab on those and more often then not I do.

Thanks everyone. Your words have been a soothing balm to soothe my dashed expectations.

Now that it's the "day after" I still think it's so person_without_enough_empathyin' to have some of my favorite books slabbed. They look so cool! In my "new cgc stupor" I even think this is cool:

Framed CGC comic

I ordered 2 boxes and some bags from bagsunlimited (a tip from this board!) last week and am eagerly awaiting them!

You guys are all right. Thanks again.

Ronny

Thanks everyone. Your words have been a soothing balm to soothe my dashed expectations.

Now that it's the "day after" I still think it's so person_without_enough_empathyin' to have some of my favorite books slabbed. They look so cool! In my "new cgc stupor" I even think this is cool:

Framed CGC comic

I ordered 2 boxes and some bags from bagsunlimited (a tip from this board!) last week and am eagerly awaiting them!

You guys are all right. Thanks again.

Ronny

pkiss1.gif

Ronny, Spend over $10Gs on grading and you'll notice a whole new world of grade findings on your submissions will unfold before your very eyes. Go to the shows on all fours, lips pursed, and kiss EVERYBODY even remotely associated with CGC on the backside, from authorized CGC dealers to Heritage, better yet, Mega$aur himself, if you can locate him, and you'll notice a whole new world of grade findings on your submissions will unfold before your very eyes with each set of submissions and each dollar spent.

Man... I've got like 30,000 comic bags sitting in my garage that I offered *Free* in the Marketplace section (for the price of postage which actually came out to something like $3.87 since 400 comic bags weigh about 5 pounds so I overcharged a bit when I estimated it to be $5) and hardly anyone took me up on it.

And then you go and order some boxes and bags from a NY company that charges $6 per hundred for a resealable bag that's only 1.5 mil.

Such is life... confused.gif

30,000 RAW books in one location!!! Good Gosh. The thought of that gives me the HeBeGeeBees (the same feeling incurred by rummaging through the closet of a recently deceased ancient relative)!! You should take a picture of this assemblage and send it to CGC. They would immediately declare you CGC Public Enemy #1.

Sckao, I was going to have you send me some..but I'm knee deep in egerber bags and boards as it is. Once you get some boards going, I'll give you a shot for sure though.

Brian

Man... I've got like 30,000 comic bags sitting in my garage that I offered *Free* in the Marketplace section (for the price of postage which actually came out to something like $3.87 since 400 comic bags weigh about 5 pounds so I overcharged a bit when I estimated it to be $5) and hardly anyone took me up on it.

And then you go and order some boxes and bags from a NY company that charges $6 per hundred for a resealable bag that's only 1.5 mil.

Such is life... confused.gif

Hey - I could use Golden Age bags as I use them to ship. Got a 1000 lying around?

Hey - I could use Golden Age bags as I use them to ship. Got a 1000 lying around?

Sure. Just PM me and we'll work out the postage. I still have about 4500 Golden Age with resealable flap. This probably isn't the right forum for this in any case.

I do use Golden Age bags to hold large Trade Paperbacks though (and Silver for the normal trades.) I also use them for bundling packs of 10 - 20 copies. (And for holding multiple comics you're selling via eBay since they can hold multiple comics already in bags/boards.)