• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest comic in YOUR collection

182 posts in this topic

What would the "valiantman" have that could beat the best known copy

of the grand-daddy of all Valiant comics?

cloud9.gif

Four Color 596 (Turok #1) from 1954...in Universal CGC 8.5.

(Happy 50th birthday next year, Turok!)

A dealer had this for sale for $1500 as a VG+. I offered him $1400, and he accepted. I thought it looked pretty nice, so I submitted it to CGC.

Here's what it came back (Guide now=$3350):

pep1-cgc.jpg

Of course, getting a good deal makes me like the comic even more, but c'mon! First patriotic Superhero, Robot cover, January 1940, Unrestored Fine +.

Gotta love it. cloud9.gif

Space Adventures 13 in 9.4 with off-white pages... from 1954

Featuring Blue Beetle

not a key... just the fact it's my oldest graded comic - and seeing a 50 year old comic in such a high grade really shows how beautiful old comics can be.

However, my fav for more personal reasons is a dog-eared 2000AD from Jan 1981 - featuring my first (and only) published art-work in a letter column (Tharg's Nerve Centre). I was nine years old and won £3 for my effort.

Bought an Action Man...

Venom Lethal Protector #1 Black CGC 9.8

Had a VERY tough time trackin it down. it took months (very pre-ebay days) and with all of the hype surrounding it (error printing + Hero illustrated did a story on it and a contest as i recall in their issue 1 or 2) and the limited quantity. At the time only 400 or so were thought to exist. i got it raw (obviously) and had it signed on inside lower splash page by Mark Bagley (artist) a week later. It was also in my first batch of CGC submissions. It came back a blue 9.8. Here is a very poor scan of it.

venomblack1-98.jpg

I still think it is a great cover and the story behind the book is probably cooler than the story IN the book!! 27_laughing.gif

plus it reminds me of a very fun time in my life, that 90s comic spec boom, a new girlfriend (soon to be wife) and long weekends with long drives looking for just this book!

Just b/c I like this book so much I frequently feel the need to post it's picture here. grin.gif As mentioned in another thread, this book was sent to me from Canada in a flimsy bubble-wrap envelope, left on my doorstep on a rainy morning, but no damage!

hulk1.jpg

Not the most expensive or valuable book in my collection. A nice high grade copy (raw) of Suspense Comics #8 with the classic L.B. Cole Spider cover. Sorry, I don't know how to do a scan since this is one of the classic covers of all time. Just love those Golden Age books with the classic covers, especially since they are always so tough to find in grade. cool.gif

Aren't you a guy? What are you doing collecting WONDER WOMAN?

Maybe visions of Linda Carter in bondage kept you up at nights when you were a teenager? stooges.gif

Aren't you a guy? What are you doing collecting WONDER WOMAN?

Maybe visions of Linda Carter in bondage kept you up at nights when you were a teenager? stooges.gif

Wonder Woman was on the air when I was in high school for one...won't go any further there..........Plus a combination of how rare they are in prime condition and how undervalued they are in the guide...they are going to skyrockett in the next couple of years.

Jonny D.