• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what's the grade part 2, this one has been slabbed

40 posts in this topic

I'll go with 8.5 just because older DC's always seem to get the shaft. I'm always disappointed with them. But it's a nice looking book. Scans a little dark though.

I've got 29 and 30. You don't mind coverless, do you?

grin.gif

-- Joanna (it's very wrong of me to do this to someone who just lost his books, so I apologize, but I would give you my coverless copies if you just had a hankering to read the stories).

auctionwatch just screwed me by wanting me to place a credit card on file, so i can't show the whole scan of the book. but here you go kids, here's the CGC label please see attachment. to many conservative graders like murph0 who can't grade tongue.gif , then there are some who know how to grade. thanks for playing grin.giftongue.gifwink.gifsmirk.giflaugh.gifshocked.gifblush.gifmad.giffrown.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gifooo.gifcool.gifsmile.gif BTW i had a CGC VF+ 8.5 that looked almost identical to this copy.

46090-E2.jpg.9824f775e73c881fc1a7dc104ca6e911.jpg

to many conservative graders like murph0 who can't grade

Not to single out murph, but that's exactly what I see when the little grading exercises come up. Lotsa people over-analysing each minute defect and then proclaiming it an 8.0, when in reality, they'd grade a similar book from their own collection a 9.0 or higher. .

Sure CGC is strict, but they're not as bad as some would make them out to be.

Lotsa people over-analysing each minute defect and then proclaiming it an 8.0, when in reality, they'd grade a similar book from their own collection a 9.0 or higher

I don't agree with your analysis. I think when playing the grading game online (which is a blast supapimp) over-analysis is inherant since we don't want to seem like a bunch of hacks. As far as grading your personal collection most people view it in a better light since there is an emotional involvement and we all want it to be better than it really is, which is the reason we always try to get a better copy when available. JMHO. smirk.gif

Lotsa people over-analysing each minute defect and then proclaiming it an 8.0, when in reality, they'd grade a similar book from their own collection a 9.0 or higher

When you only have a scan to go by, yeah, I think folk do tend to over-analyse. I listed several defects and guessed it would get an 8.5-9.0 but did say it should be a 9.2.

Maybe we can sometimes over think CGC? grin.gif

Maybe we can sometimes over think CGC?

That's pretty well it; your mind tells you that CGC is strict, so you take your own grading to the next level. The problem is, most experienced collectors know how to grade, so it ends up turning into a witch-hunt where literally no book could ever hit 9.6 or above under this kind of scrutiny. grin.gif

I did the same thing to a degree; I thought 9.2, but since CGC is reputedly so tough on DC books, I lowered that to 9.0.

Actually what I've seen is different people guessing above and below the actual CGC grade..you really can't tell much from a front scan of a book and to base somone's ability to grade by a medium resolution scan of the cover of a book is guessing game.

Brian