• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade find from 1965!

359 posts in this topic

Im keeping a "slabbed" set for myself as I know that at some point I will sell off the entire collection, getting the keys cgc'ed eliminates the potential of future damage and also a subjective grade. Im not slabbing them first because it seems a bit ridiculous to spend $30 on each book and then try to recoup that in the auction, if people want to CGC them then that is thier perogative, Ive heard good and bad about it. for my purposes, though, it gives me the peace of mind that the books will stay in the condition I recieved them in.

As to mint and near mint, well the tem is coined from the definition of the condition of the book (or item) when it was produced, as noted before, there was not a lot of attention paid to making books flawless in the 40s-70s, as such, there are a lot of flaws that come strait from the publisher. In my opinion, which is just that... these are some of the nicest books I have ever come across, most 50-60-70s books are somewhat yellow and a little brittle, even in good grades you dont want to handle them much for fear of damage. These books are like they were just printed, the pages are nice and firm, edges and corners are not brittle at all. They are, as I stated (IMHO) near mint, being very, very close to the condition they rolled off of the press in.

I know there is a cynic in all of us, but take these for what they are. btw.. what is "high press potential"?

I dont have much time to reply, but wanted to ask you what comic shops you owned? You must know about the grading system right? To call books NM/Mint based on how the books look compared to when they rolled off the press, is well..misleading.

This whole thing might be a learning process for you, or you know exactly what you are doing in listing the books in this manner.

Pressing potential means a book can have most of it's flaws pressed out to remove, or reduce the visual impact of those flaws, therefor attaining a higher grade.

Your books are perfect candidates for pressing due to the otherwise HG nature of the books.

Ze-

Ze-

I follow you to a point, but the nm term is refernce to the original condition. If you have a run of books that are hit off center are they no longer mint?

I graded according to what the books came from the press with because that is the only subjective way to grade the books. If you grade from some other point of view, then you may be trying to grade off a book that never existed. It cant get better than how it was printed because that will be the determining factor of what the high grade book is. This at least is my opinion, others will differ. As to the stores, they were called "Coreys Comics" (tricky name eh??) 4 stores ran from 1992-1996. At which point alot of the stuff was sold off to Comics Utah (now defunct) and Dr. Voltz (also defunct at least as far as the original owner).

So if you press a book, isnt that considered a restoration?

Ok ok, clearly I have gotten some of the clique upset. All I was trying to say was this: Everytime someone new comes on these boards and has a new collection to sell, he gets beaten up. Most board members are cordial, and some are supportive, but there is always a certain group who take it upon themselves to criticize, pick on and outright make fun of that person and their books. I forget who it was that came across some decent golden age books and came on the boards seeking advice on how to sell, whether to have them graded or what. He was immediately attacked, made fun of and picked on. He was a gentleman about it, but unfortunately some board members were not. It wasn't until he started posting scans of the books that the members in question suddenly became quiet. If this seller came across some books, and is putting them on ebay, that is his business. No one here has been hired to be the ebay grading police. We may all be entitled to our opinions, but not to attack him. He has been kind enough to post here (although he didn't start this thread), and has been cordial.

Cut him some slack.

I also think that anyone who buys these books and is angry afterwards should go pound sand. If they don't like the book, don't bid.
confused.gif By the way...nice timing on that 2:36 forum clock while lengthy text is sure to make it look like two sources.

Regardless of whether the defects present in your photos come from the publisher, distrubutor, or handling, they take the books out of the NM to Mint category. You're going to have a lot of angry customers when they receive these books.

I think some of these books do qualify as high grade. They all have large scans, and defects are easy to spot. I also think that anyone who buys these books and is angry afterwards should go pound sand. If they don't like the book, don't bid.

So it's cool for him to advertise ALL of the books as NM, maybe Mint, when some of the pics look like 7.5-8.0s?

No, and yes. It's not like there are eBay police or anything . . . insane.gif

It's just the lazy-butt approach . . . 27_laughing.gif

How many of you think they're are NM/MT copies of these books out there anywhere? 27_laughing.gif

Just to clarify, incase it got missed. Out of the collection , I took the 'worst' looking book of the 4, and thats the one I took pics of. I figured that this way, that was the expectation and if youre book came in better condition, hey!! bonus!! If people that get a better graded book want to return it for a full refund, thats no problem. confused-smiley-013.gif

There are a lot of so-called grading experts here who are going to look at the scans and pronounce your books not in high grade. Don't listen to them. Most of them are being overly cynical and are just pissed they didn't find the collection themselves. You have a great find of books that most collectors only dream about finding. I think they all will do quite well, as there is always a market for that kind of stuff. Good luck with them!

So finding this ahem, "collection" ahem, is license to lie, cheat and steal? And good luck to you while you do it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I bet you can top this comment too! insane.gif

So Im curious what you are so pissed off about?? how do you see any lie, cheat or steal going on?? Did you read the auction, or are you just looking for an excuse to troll. It seems the auctions were clear enough, but suddenly you have become the authority to call me a liar, cheater and a thief.. Nice.

I guess his eBay name says it all . . .

1195706-User%3Dgoldrushrover%26Many%3DON.jpg

27_laughing.gif

So if you look at a collection, bid with a disclaimer in the title of "What you see is exactly what you get" and then you get exactly what was pictured but no surprises like a Detective 27, is that grounds for negative feedback??

I offered the guy a refund including shipping, if he sent the books back, he didnt want to send the books back and instead demanded that I refund $300 or he would leave negative feedback... so I told him to go ahead and leave the negative feedback.

Im sure no one else here has run into an irrational ebayer... as to the other grade issue, the books were exactly as pictured, as these are. You will get exactly what you see or better. Thats it and thats all, if you dont like it dont bid, but geez, dont sit and whine if you have no vested interest. I already commented on the shipping, I dont want to take any chances on damage in transit, if thats a problem, then again... dont bid... doesnt seem very difficult to grasp....

and hey, if your going to quote feedback, then why dont you include the entire feedback... such as with silver74 he noted that he was refunded, even though he kept the books.

You know, in between the smart comments are some very useful tips on how to maximize the profit you make off these books. These boards are chock full of collectors who have pretty high standards when it comes to evaluating how eBay auctions are set up, but who also suffer from obsessive compulsive accumulation habits. (I'm one.)

You may see it as an attempt to devalue your books, but au contraire. What you're hearing are requests to simply see more of the merchandise, and to see it better. Trying to sell books with too few scans, and even the appearance of shipping profiteering, is like..well, like..pounding sand! confused-smiley-013.gif

Red

There are a lot of so-called grading experts here who are going to look at the scans and pronounce your books not in high grade. Don't listen to them. Most of them are being overly cynical and are just pissed they didn't find the collection themselves. You have a great find of books that most collectors only dream about finding. I think they all will do quite well, as there is always a market for that kind of stuff. Good luck with them!

So finding this ahem, "collection" ahem, is license to lie, cheat and steal? And good luck to you while you do it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I bet you can top this comment too! insane.gif

So Im curious what you are so pissed off about?? how do you see any lie, cheat or steal going on?? Did you read the auction, or are you just looking for an excuse to troll. It seems the auctions were clear enough, but suddenly you have become the authority to call me a liar, cheater and a thief.. Nice.

I'm not pissed off at all . . . are you? Since you're new here, I guess you couldn't tell I was replying to someone else's post - not yours.

Yes, i read your auction. I am very happy for your find. Your marketing skills leave much to be desired however.

Troll? What's that?

No one called you a liar, cheat or thief . . . I suggest that you read my post again in the context it was written.

btw, posting photos instead of scans is deceptive enough, but not even posting photos of the actual book you are selling is even worse. And posting extraneous photos to imply that you are getting more than one book is just screwy.gif

hi.gifpopcorn.gif

Ok ok, clearly I have gotten some of the clique upset. All I was trying to say was this: Everytime someone new comes on these boards and has a new collection to sell, he gets beaten up. Most board members are cordial, and some are supportive, but there is always a certain group who take it upon themselves to criticize, pick on and outright make fun of that person and their books. I forget who it was that came across some decent golden age books and came on the boards seeking advice on how to sell, whether to have them graded or what. He was immediately attacked, made fun of and picked on. He was a gentleman about it, but unfortunately some board members were not. It wasn't until he started posting scans of the books that the members in question suddenly became quiet. If this seller came across some books, and is putting them on ebay, that is his business. No one here has been hired to be the ebay grading police. We may all be entitled to our opinions, but not to attack him. He has been kind enough to post here (although he didn't start this thread), and has been cordial.

Cut him some slack.

If you're including me here, then you should go back and read my post. I'm not trying to be the "eBay grading police", I'm just pointing out to a fellow collector/seller that he's going to have some angry customers if he's calling these books NM/M. I was in no way attacking him, just trying to save him the hassle of having to deal with unhappy customers, returns, etc. And helping each other out is EXACTLY what these boards are about.

Now, you telling anyone that's unhappy with their purchase from this seller to "go pound sand", THAT was worth ridiculing, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Understandable, but my main business isnt selling comics, I picked these up relatively cheap and figured I could make a little money out of the deal while increasing my own collection. I dont see it as a devaluation, Ive just tried to give an accurate rep of what is there. if people want to pick it apart, thats fine, they are putting out their hard earned money and its thier perogative.

As to the shipping, well, you get what you pay for, once these books are damaged its permanent and cant be remedied... so I'll charge more to make sure that they get there in the same condition they left me in.

to those that have requested pics--- (really, does anyone scan anymore??) they will be sent out tonite.

Thanks again for the space.

to those that have requested pics--- (really, does anyone scan anymore??)
Ha, why no. We all gave up scanning years ago. They are a huge waste of time and they force people to stare at the negatives instead of admiring the Mint condition of all books.

I certainly hope you stick around awhile. insane.gif

to those that have requested pics--- (really, does anyone scan anymore??)
Ha, why no. We all gave up scanning years ago. They are a huge waste of time and they force people to stare at the negatives instead of admiring the Mint condition of all books.

I certainly hope you stick around awhile. insane.gif

I don't scan due to the fact i don't like wasting pixels. Those little fella's are extremely rare and from what i know on the endagered species list. We must learn to conserve the pixels or they will be gone forever.

Regardless of whether the defects present in your photos come from the publisher, distrubutor, or handling, they take the books out of the NM to Mint category. You're going to have a lot of angry customers when they receive these books.

I think some of these books do qualify as high grade. They all have large scans, and defects are easy to spot. I also think that anyone who buys these books and is angry afterwards should go pound sand. If they don't like the book, don't bid.

So it's cool for him to advertise ALL of the books as NM, maybe Mint, when some of the pics look like 7.5-8.0s?

No, and yes. It's not like there are eBay police or anything . . . insane.gif

It's just the lazy-butt approach . . . 27_laughing.gif

How many of you think they're are NM/MT copies of these books out there anywhere? 27_laughing.gif

Just to clarify, incase it got missed. Out of the collection , I took the 'worst' looking book of the 4, and thats the one I took pics of. I figured that this way, that was the expectation and if youre book came in better condition, hey!! bonus!! If people that get a better graded book want to return it for a full refund, thats no problem. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi Corey, (and thegoldenage)

I think the problem here is that in the auctions, you say the books are NM. And you even go so far as to say "no, they really it is NM". But the pictures of the books in the auctions don't support the claim that the books are NM. Even your description of what YOU define as mint or NM in this thread does not jive with what collectors will deem NM -- read the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide or Grading Guide for such definitions. Surely a person who used to own a comic store will have knowledge of these definitions.

The bottom line is that in two of the auctions pictured in this thread, the FF 36 and the ASM 28 both have pictures of books that show wear that would drop the book nowhere near "NM". Creases, corner blunting, and edge wear are not consistent with NM.

So if a seller is going to create auctions claiming to have books that are "NM, no really it is NM" then he or she should be prepared for knowledgeable collectors to call them on it. And in the cases of the FF 36 and ASM 28, there has been no photo showing a truly "NM" book that would support the seller's case.

I do agree that people could be a little more diplomatic about it, but there are a lot of dishonest sellers in the market, and truly "NM" comics are exceedingly rare. So if a seller goes on ebay claiming to have a treasure trove of "NM if not mint" books, there is a core of collectors here who scrutinize such things in hopes of protecting naive buyers from getting taken.

Now -- it appears to more than a few knowledgeable collectors on these boards that your claims of NM books are not accurate based on the photos you've posted in your auctions. So that's why you have people saying negative things about your auctions and questioning your integrity. And your resistance to post an image of a truly NM copy of those books (and instead saying you've taken pictures of the worst book -- which clearly is NOT NM is merely adding fuel to their concerns. And to top it off, you've used the same pictures on each auction -- rather than the actual pic or scan of the actual book the buyer will get. Either you're lazy or you're trying to scam people. Otherwise, people want to see what they are going to get.

So my advice, whether you want it or not, is to show some pics of the actual NM books for sale in each auction, if they truly do exist, not the same pictures of their lesser brethren. Heck, it might even help you realize better prices if your auction for "NM" books actually SHOWS a "NM" book..... Do you know what a truly NM copy of ASM 28 would go for on the open market?

Good luck. You're new here -- you'll see that there is a group of truly concerned individuals here who try to keep sellers honest.

thumbsup2.gif

I'd have opend every single box, and removed any comic that looked like

a 8.0-10.0 and have kept it.

While I sold all the others that was 8.0 and below.

Still would make a very big profit.

That's just me. If I hit it lucky, you'd see how much of a greedly little b@stard I could be. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I'm too lazy to go back and dig it up, but someone said that these were remainders and later resold. This makes sense to me since there is an FF 36 and a 48 (ie these were not taken was the press and boxed up)

But the seller insists they were?

Who is right? I'm curious

I'm too lazy to go back and dig it up, but someone said that these were remainders and later resold. This makes sense to me since there is an FF 36 and a 48 (ie these were not taken was the press and boxed up)

But the seller insists they were?

Who is right? I'm curious

Clarify a little..... Or were these specific issues just printed in abudance and set aside for package distribution? Makes more sense that these were remainders confused-smiley-013.gif

Im keeping a "slabbed" set for myself as I know that at some point I will sell off the entire collection, getting the keys cgc'ed eliminates the potential of future damage and also a subjective grade. Im not slabbing them first because it seems a bit ridiculous to spend $30 on each book and then try to recoup that in the auction, if people want to CGC them then that is thier perogative, Ive heard good and bad about it. for my purposes, though, it gives me the peace of mind that the books will stay in the condition I recieved them in.

As to mint and near mint, well the tem is coined from the definition of the condition of the book (or item) when it was produced, as noted before, there was not a lot of attention paid to making books flawless in the 40s-70s, as such, there are a lot of flaws that come strait from the publisher. In my opinion, which is just that... these are some of the nicest books I have ever come across, most 50-60-70s books are somewhat yellow and a little brittle, even in good grades you dont want to handle them much for fear of damage. These books are like they were just printed, the pages are nice and firm, edges and corners are not brittle at all. They are, as I stated (IMHO) near mint, being very, very close to the condition they rolled off of the press in.

I know there is a cynic in all of us, but take these for what they are. btw.. what is "high press potential"?

I dont have much time to reply, but wanted to ask you what comic shops you owned? You must know about the grading system right? To call books NM/Mint based on how the books look compared to when they rolled off the press, is well..misleading.

This whole thing might be a learning process for you, or you know exactly what you are doing in listing the books in this manner.

Pressing potential means a book can have most of it's flaws pressed out to remove, or reduce the visual impact of those flaws, therefor attaining a higher grade.

Your books are perfect candidates for pressing due to the otherwise HG nature of the books.

Ze-

Ze-

I follow you to a point, but the nm term is refernce to the original condition. If you have a run of books that are hit off center are they no longer mint?

I graded according to what the books came from the press with because that is the only subjective way to grade the books. If you grade from some other point of view, then you may be trying to grade off a book that never existed. It cant get better than how it was printed because that will be the determining factor of what the high grade book is. This at least is my opinion, others will differ. As to the stores, they were called "Coreys Comics" (tricky name eh??) 4 stores ran from 1992-1996. At which point alot of the stuff was sold off to Comics Utah (now defunct) and Dr. Voltz (also defunct at least as far as the original owner).

So if you press a book, isnt that considered a restoration?

(1.)I think you need to purchase an OSGG

(2.) You must have a lot of money, to throw it away, by listing books in this manner.

(3.) Your best chance to be a succesful seller of comics, is to come clean, and take the advice of these board members. (Large scans of the actual book in each auction, with all of the defects pointed out right down to the smallest of spine stress marks, creases, ect.

(4.) This is your big chance to earn a good reputation with board members. Don't blow it. (Listen and learn). thumbsup2.gif