• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too good to be true?

15 posts in this topic

While I REALLY wanna bid on this one......I have to ask myself - why haven't they had it cgc'd? I doubt they would intentionally mislead bidders - this is highly perplexing.

If the bidding stays relatively low - maybe I'll take a shot

I dunno about everyone else in here, but if I was the seller of that book & I truly believed it to be "unrestored," i'd slab that thing in a heartbeat. It just doesn't make sense.

Like CI said, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is tongue.gif

Guys,

I have bought from Coins and Currency and have had the books slabbed. They came back fine. The only problem is he can't grade worth a hoot. His near mint is in the very fine 7.0-9.0 range. If he says NM+ plus you may get back a 9.2 if your lucky. His scans look great but when you get the things you go- eeks! And the refund money is sloooooow! conservo.

I have never bought anything from coinsandcurrency, but I've wanted to on many occasions. As far as I can tell, he never sends anything to CGC. He has tried to sell a BUNCH of unslabbed key high-grade Golden Age books in the past.

I urged him to buy a $100 flatbed scanner about two years ago so that we could see his books a bit better. I'm pretty sure he would've gotten at least a 100x return on that investment had he done it back then! At the time, I was wanting to buy a VF/NM Spidey 13. It ended up selling for $399, and I would've paid double that had the scan been at all decent.

I've heard a few other collectors say coinsandcurrency sometimes overgrades by about a half grade or more. It looks like now he's advertising that his comics are graded using CGC's standards; he didn't used to claim that. I see that as possibly a positive thing; perhaps he has looked at some slabs to tighten his grading.

I've never heard that coinsandcurrency doesn't accept returns, and he now also seems to promise that he'll refund grading fees if the book isn't as advertised. I'd consider taking the risk were it a book I really wanted.

I don't see where the risk is. He guarantees that if it doesn't grade a VF+ by CGC, he'll even refund your grading fees. In this grade, it should sell for $900-$1400. I think it's worth buying it if the final bid is $900 or less.

However, I have seen a few CGC graded books up for bid by coinsandcurrency, and their prices were quite high, so I'm betting that his reserve is high. If it doesn't sell, he'll probably send it to CGC himself.

(I just bid $600 and reserve isn't met)

Well maybe he'll refund the grading fees... but what about the ridiculous $15 for shipping and handling?

It should come with {insert ridiculous thing to come with a comic book here} for that kind of "handling" fee!

"Well look - I'm a family man. We needed the extra money." -- Superman-2 explaining to E. Nelson Bridwell why he took the job as editor of the Daily Star... [The Amazing World of DC Comics Volume 3 Special Edition #1 for Super DC Con '76]

I have only had one buying experience with coinsandcurrency but I have to say it was a good one. I bought an advertised NM Hulk 180 for $115 and and NM- Hulk 182 for $100. The books were sent to CGC and the Hulk 180 came back a CGC 9.4 with ow/w pages and the Hulk 182 came back a CGC 9.0 was white pages.

At least on that occassion, their grading was pretty darn good.

CoinsandCurrency is actually South Miami Rare Coins & Comics (SMRC). They have advertised in CBG for quite some time. I've purchased about a dozen books from them through CBG and ebay and have sent a few to CGC. In general, when they say 'VF', the grade is dead on or slightly better (VF+). On the other hand, the NM are usually a half point lower.

For some reason, they love the 3 day auctions and usually when I run across their auctions, it's in the final hours. Of course they relist the book with a day or two and sometimes they even drop their price by the fourth or fifth relisting confused.gif