• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC's grading helping you ?

25 posts in this topic

Raw NM copies of a lot of the silver age books I'm looking for, Cap or ASM, aren't available raw for the most part unless you want to buy it from a National Dealer for the CGC equivalent grade price. That's IF they have any, most of the guys I spoke to said when they get them they CGC them. I'd bet for the cooler titles there's probably more nice raw copies available. But for the highly collected titles, raw NM's are few and far between.

Brian

If a major dealer didn't sell any CGC books and only sold "overgraded" books, they wouldn't be in business very long.

I sometimes wonder whether this is true or not anymore due to the vast number of people the Internet exposes you to. No matter what your reputation is, it seems like as long as you play the E-Bay game by its rules to keep your feedback clean, you can be either a terrible grader or an outright crook and there will still be a plethora of people who will still buy from you.

I'm sure that is true to some extent. But eventually - they will have to lower those cgc prices, as demand will eventually drop for them as their regular customers are priced out. This may cause soem of the dealers to stop submitting everything.

Look at Metropolis - they still have TONS of nice stuff unslabbed - Bob Storms, same thing(those are the only two national high end dealers I have ever bought from)

Look at Metropolis - they still have TONS of nice stuff unslabbed - Bob Storms, same thing(those are the only two national high end dealers I have ever bought from)

It's a smart thing for longtime dealers to leave a section of their inventories ungraded, as not to alienate those who do not accept CGC for whatever reason. But you'll notice that there are very few solid raw NM's if any, and if there are it likely won't be on a more valuable book. After all, if they're already submitting, why keep a NM unslabbed?

That's what makes me a little suspect on Showcase-New-England's grading. When they sell 9.4/9.6 copies of S.A books in lots, it makes you wonder why would they be selling raw? Sure, they have a strong customer base, and do well without reserves, but they would still make more if they were infact slabbed in the grades they claim, a HELL of a lot more actually. And my guess is that half the bidders buy to get the stuff slabbed. And it isn't a money factor, as I'm sure they can afford it.

it makes you wonder why would they be selling raw?

I agree whole-heartedly AK. Why the he]] wouldnt these savvy dealers NOT get their NMs graded to get teh bump up in price??? This is what I tried to get an answer from Hammer about his Subby 9.9.....which, incidently, he never really answered directly...maybe now he;s got some time to think it over and get back to me.