• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Two awesome books!

however, nope and nope - but the Girls' Love 52 has been considered a quasi or honorary grey tone just for the feel of it.  Also, the Secret Hearts 59 , same thing

image.jpeg.e363d8baf9451859cfc5faba4a1f6973.jpeg

:takeit:Thanks. I have two copies and both grades added up wouldn't be as nice as that one. A definite no on the Girls' Romances though?

6 minutes ago, electricprune said:

A definite no on the Girls' Romances though?

no - BUT I would call it Gene Colan's best romance cover, far and away.  I used to own the highest graded 8.5 and sold it 3 years ago for $250 and I've regretted it every other day since.  Oh well!

On 8/16/2020 at 3:52 PM, Dr. Love said:

Two awesome books!

however, nope and nope - but the Girls' Love 52 has been considered a quasi or honorary grey tone just for the feel of it.  Also, the Secret Hearts 59 , same thing

image.jpeg.e363d8baf9451859cfc5faba4a1f6973.jpeg

Those are probably partial washtones.  The background definitely looks like the effect was used, similar to All Star Western 109.  

On 10/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Technically listed as last GA issue but close enough for here. Never seen this grey tone cover and not listed as such in the guide.

comallstarwestern96.jpg

Super cool cover. And I know opinions vary on the topic, but I personally cannot consider anything with a comics code on it to be Golden Age. Early Silver? Sure. But not GA in my opinion.