• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Valiant Appreciation Thread - Regardless to Market Value

21 posts in this topic

Okay boys, here is the OFFICIAL VALIANT APPRECIATION THREAD!!!!!!!!

I don't feel like talking about their worth anymore, but wanted to talk a bit about some of the stories and art that we really liked or didn't like.

To kick it off, I want to talk about 3 POST Unity books that were really just awesome:

X-O Manowar 14 & 15

Being from NY, I really liked Aric and Turok teaming up to kick some dinosaur tail in the NYC sewers. Bart Sears is to this day one of my favorites.

X-O 14

X-O 15

Bloodshot 7 & 8

Anybody like the Punisher? I do. Bloodshot was so damn cool - a "super" punisher so to speak. These are my two favorites - issues 7 and 8. I love how he gets thrown out of a plane (literally) and then at the very end when he is being held as a hostage Ninjak stabs his sword through Bloodshot to kill the enemy. How cool is that!!!

Bloodshot 6

Bloodshot 7

Shadwoman 19

I remember that this came out right around the time that Get a Grip came out. I really like Aerosmith and wasn't too into Shadowman, but here was a great Done In One story that was true to both the rock band and the character. Really great stuff.

Shadowman 19

What are some of your favorites?

DAM

Sorry to rain on your parade Dam.....

I've read (and still have) the XO and Bloodshot issues and disliked them throughly. I never cared for Bloodshot at all and the XO/Turok story paled in comparison to previous issues.

I didn't read the Shadowman so it might actually be good.

Jim

Though this thread has just gotten started...

we would be remiss to fail to mention the stories for:

Magnus #0...a day in the life of a robot fighter.

Magnus #1 - #4...Steel Nation...is it just a job, or is it genocide?

Reprinted as Magnus: Steel Nation TPB.

Solar #0...Alpha & Omega...destroy the cosmos...and live to tell about it.

B. Windsor-Smith art throughout

originally printed as 10 inserts in Solar #1-#10,

also available reprinted as a TPB and a Hardcover.

...followed immediately by...

Solar #1 - #4...Second Death...a second chance at omnipotence.

Reprinted as Solar: Second Death TPB.

Extremely well-written stories with good art and amazing hand-coloring...

puts the "digital coloring" of the current comics to shame.

Of all thr Valiant heroes my favorite,by far, was ARMSTRONG. Talk about a reluctant hero- A fat lazy eternal who had done it all, seen it all and no longer cared,yet ended up in the middle of everything.

I wrote earlier about my favorite WOW moment in Valiant when I just burst out laughing in awe. When Solar tells another character going after the bad guys "let me lend you a hand."

Then in the next panel, Solar disconnects his own hand and gives it to him! And it has all of Solar's powers etc...without harming his own...sort of like turning his hand into GLs power ring on the spot.

Totally unexpected and cool!

Of all thr Valiant heroes my favorite,by far, was ARMSTRONG.

You know I have to modify what I said previously that all Valiants after Unity sucked water. Archer and Armstrong was the exception. Up to issue #10 or so, this was one very good read. Probably the funniest title of the line. Enjoyed this throughly until BWS left and it joined the other post Unity titles in mediocrity.

Jim

Of all thr Valiant heroes my favorite,by far, was ARMSTRONG.
You know I have to modify what I said previously that all Valiants after Unity sucked water. Archer and Armstrong was the exception. Up to issue #10 or so, this was one very good read. Probably the funniest title of the line. FAT,DRUNK,AND STUPID-WHAT A WAY TO GO THRU ETERNITY!!!!!

I really liked A&A / EW #8 - the three musketeers spin. What great stuff!! Although I vividly remember that the book cost $4.50 too - that was a lot of money for me back in the day!!

DAM

Dam, I liked the early X-O stories also, up to about issue #20 or so. Bart Sears did some great artwork on the book also.

Other favourite Valiant titles of mine were Harbinger and Shadowman. cool.gif

I thought Harbinger had the makings of a great book but never quite lived up to its potential. I also enjoyed the WWF series they put out, it was really not a bad read and I suspect it was the sales from this,and their Nintendo books, that made it possible for Shooter to attract the talent he did.

X-O #14 was always my favorite Valiant cover. Personally, I liked the Shadowman/Master Darque storylines.

I loved those too. Shadowman is the closest to a bronze age character created in the modern age, and Darque was just so different from most villains. I think someone like Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman would do a great Shadowman if given the chance. And the A & A #8 was a great book too. I didn't mind the $4.50 so much seeing as it really was 2 different books that each regularly cost $2.25.

I thought Harbinger had the makings of a great book but never quite lived up to its potential.

I absolutely agree -- Harbinger could have been the next X-men if they handled the book right. Unfortunately they couldn't find a decent creative team and constant roster changes didn't help much either.

X-O was alot of fun as well --- I picked up the last Valiant issue a couple of years ago just to have Guice sign it for me. I couldn't believe the cop out at the end. Gimme a break... 893whatthe.gif

Given that many posts about Valiant have focused on the pre-Unity issues,

I've created a little "Valiant RESCUE Operation" page using the inventories

of the Valiant collectors on the site.

Why not see how many of the best Valiant books can be rescued from

the bargain bins of the uncaring? smile.gif

SAVE THE CHILDR-----Errr... SAVE THE COMICS !